main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Emilia Clarke (Qi'ra) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Mmmm she was kinda clumsy on the first seasons of GoT but because that was her character, on the sixth season she's fine.

She also did the role of a dumb/clumsy girl on Me Before you but that was what they asked her for.

I expect them to put her on an Imperial role or a badass sidekick, what if she's Dr. Aphra doing a small cameo?

2. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    While the number of young, white, brunette Brit female leads is a tad annoying, we don't know if she'll have an English accent or be a brunette in the movie.

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Seeing as how Dr. Aphra is Asian looking. I hope not.

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

Well, the Bond films featured a long string of young, white brunette Brit male leads, and that was never raised as a problem until recently.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    No not really.

6. KumixAyu

KumixAyu Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2017
    Love it! Really like her in Game of Thrones and Terminator Genisys!

7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    You never know, she could undergo extensive make-up like Sofia Boutella did in Star Trek Beyond, which I thought was a pretty great character.

8. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    MOD EDIT: Removed inappropriate comments

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    And I hope you learn that these types of comments are not allowed here. Ever.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd like to see her play a villain/antagonist myself. And Imperial Officer would be cool.

Porkins2099 likes this.
  11. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I just saw Emilia Clarke in "Me Before You", and as awful as that movie was, I mainly saw it to check out Clarke's acting in it (coincidentally, her character is called Clark in the film). And she was great! Much better than her performance in Terminator: Genisys which was cringy as hell. She really shines in moments when she's a bit dorky and doesn't take herself too serious. Throughout the movie she was quite adorable, to say the least. It made me like her as an actress much more.

I just hope that her character in the Han Solo flick tries to make the best of her as an actress. As an action heroine, she doesn't work. Leave that to actresses like Jennifer Lawrence and Zoe Saldana. She would definitely work as a dorky sidekick though.

Umm, most of the Bond women in the old days of Sean Connery and Roger Moore were from other European countries like Italy and France. Back then, even Italian women were considered "exotic". The concept of Bond have always been about Bond having exotic women. By contrast, the most British woman in the Bond series is the one he doesn't want - Moneypenny. :p

12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I said male British brunettes played Bond for a long time. Didn't mention anything about "Bond women." Sorry for the confusion.

Elaborate?

13. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Re: Bond. Male white British brunettes being cast to play the same character that was conceptualized as a male white British brunette is pretty logical, I think.

14. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Heard someone in another thread say she was ""definitely"" playing Hera from rebels...
    1st off did I miss something? We don't have any ideas about that do we?
    2ndly not sure she could handle Hera.

15. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    it would be cool to see a bad female character but I think shes going to be Hans love interest.

16. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I actually think that there are PLENTY of...
    Oh you meant antagonist... gotcha

17. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

I'd love to see her as a villain too, but I also bet she's going to be playing Han's love interest, since SW doesn't have a very good track record of female villains and female side characters always inevitably tend to fall into that role in sci-fi/action movies. Makes me wonder if Hollywood's traditional aversion to interracial romance stories was a factor in them choosing Emilia over the 5 other WOC who auditioned.

I wonder how invested the audience will get in a love story that we know is doomed from the start though. I guess it's been done before, like Clark/Lana Lang in Smallville.

18. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    That's precisely WHY I'd want her to play a villain. To FINALLY get a competent female villain in a SW movie (they've done it in the expanded materials already).

Also I doubt that a fear of interracial romances had much, if anything, to do with it. Disney has shown in some of their other films that they're not adverse to showing those. I think that her being the most well-known (via GOT of course) candidate probably played into it more.

PymParticles and Gigoran Monk like this.
  19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I'd love to get a competent female villain in Star Wars at some point. But I don't think Emilia Clarke is the right fit for that. She can do commanding and imperious, but I just have difficulty seeing her as a credible villain.

Tilda Swinton in such a role, though, could be excellent. Though perhaps a bit obvious.

Diane Kruger, Uma Thurman and Glenn Close also come to mind.

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I figure she was just the best for the role.
    They screen tested Alden with a bunch of candidates, and Emily simply worked best beside him.

I absolutely agree that Disney has no problem with "race". Their animations are quite deliberately diverse. It's just a matter of she being the best for the part.

21. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    I don't think the Empire hires women in positions of power, so if she was a villain she'd have to be a bounty hunter or corrupt smuggler or something. But I agree with the poster above, I think if they wanted a female villain they wouldn't have cast someone like Emilia Clarke, who's known primarily for GOT and starring in a romantic drama.

I read a post (can't attest to the credibility) by someone who claimed to have seen the audition material and they described her character in the audition as a proto Leia type who loves to banter back and forth with Han. That would be the most disappointing way her character could go, IMO.

22. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Interesting how the same people who defended Boyega landing a main role in TFA as "he was casted because he was best for the part", are now attacking people who defend Emilia Clarke for the exact same reason...

Anyway, someone mentioned above that she was playing Hera. I call bs on that, nothing but a fan-rumor. I think it will take a long time before we get a non-human main character in a SW film. Maybe never. Besides, I can't see Clarke playing Hera at all.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the debate is regarding whether she actually is best for the part, given her competition for it. I don't know what that has to do with Boyega.

I don't think she is playing Hera either, given that Hera is with the Alliance and Han had nothing to do with it prior to ANH.

24. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Not sure if you're referring to me, but I've never posted a single post about John Boyega's casting, nor did I attack anyone for defending her, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I doubt she's playing Hera, it's very unlikely they would use an Expanded Universe character to play a main role in one of the movies.

25. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I made the comparison with Boyega because people are attacking Emilia Clarke based on the color of her skin, since she was competing against many women of color. But there's already a separate thread for this, so let's leave it here.
    No, I wasn't referring to you, I was speaking more generally. Sorry if my post made it seem like so.