main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Emilia Clarke (Qi'ra) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But, then they couldn't keep us guessing which one will be Rey's mother.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Jedi Jessy likes this.
  3. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    its still hillarious reading 'it doesnt look like avatar 2 will be coming out in (insert year here)' after what, 5, 6 years and counting?

first it was supposed to go up against episdoe 7. then rogue one. then episode 8. then the han solo movie.

anyways back in the real world, love the casting. didnt care too much for terminator genisis but really thought she was good in it.

4. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Predictions?

She'll play a competing rogue/scoundrel who seduces, swindles, eludes, and eventually one-ups Han (and Lando).

Lots of sexual tension/chemistry, but no actual romance. Relationship with Han will be like Mal & Inara, but her character will be more like Saffron.

5. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    i have no idea what thats a refernce too lol

6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Firefly the space TV show,
    Mal-Nathan Fillion
    Inara-Morena Baccarin
    Saffron-Christina Hendricks

Xinau and TX-20 like this.
  7. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Hey, it's just balancing out 80 years of Hollywood casting as evil villains! ;)

It's not a given she will keep her accent though. I love her in GOT but she's pretty much a one trick pony acting wise and I don't know if i'm gonna be able to stop myself shouting Khaleesi! at full voice in the Cinema when she appears on screen.

8. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Well, I was iffy on this Han Solo spin off concept, but the fact that I'll get to look at Emilia Clarke for two hours is enough for me. I am there.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  9. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    It's interesting they cast a 30 year old to play opposite a 19-20 year old Han. Do you think her character will be the same age?

I'm a little disappointed we won't see a WOC in the role, but given how conservative Hollywood is about things like interracial relationships, I can't say I'm terribly surprised they picked Emilia over all the other WOC that auditioned.

Interestingly, Emilia could have pulled off playing a young Leia pretty well (petite, brunette, same type of figure), maybe Han has a type? I just hope she's not a Leia lite - aka spunky brunette who spars with Han at first but then he ends up charming her and she falls in love with him.

La Calavera and cerealbox like this.
  10. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I'm gonna give this casting the benefit of the doubt, because I really am excited for this movie. But what I've seen from Emilia in GoT didn't impress me at all and the endless white brunettes are starting to stand out. Especially considering that ALL the other actresses up for the role were women of color (one Asian, one Latina, three black).

La Calavera and cerealbox like this.
  11. Korr Sella

Korr Sella Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2016
    I find Emilia Clarke to be a perfectly adequate actress and so best for the role doesn't wash with me. This is definite pattern now.

My interest in this movie is dwindling even further.

dragonchic and cerealbox like this.
  12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well that's shocking. :)

13. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

Millie Bobby Brown looks like young Leia/Carrie.

She said she'd like to play her. :)

I think Daisy said she wanted to be friends.

cerealbox and unicorn like this.
  14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I honestly don't get the complaints, how can anyone accuse Lucasfilm of anything when every movie is diverse more than ever and more diverse than most Hollywood movie.

TFA- Main lead is a female a first for SW, male lead is a black man also a first and the 3rd lead is a Latino man also a first
    VIII-New female that seems to have a huge role is Asian, and also a new character in Benicio is Latino

Rogue One-the entire cast is diverse, you have 1 female lead, 1 Latino, 2 Asian, 1 Black, 1 Pakistani

and now because the supposed female lead of the Han movie is another white woman....there are complaints???
    even though the movie isn't even finished casting
    "Clarke’s role will round out a dynamic cast of characters that Han and Chewie will encounter on their adventures."

and we still have Lando seemingly being a major player in the movie.

15. Korr Sella

Aug 1, 2016
    When it comes to female diversity in its films LFL is woeful. Look at all the lead female roles - Padme, Leia, Rey, Jyn now Emilia Clarke's character, and only two of those women we know to be related. White women =/= diversity.

I'm not all that interested in young Han Solo to begin with, and I don't particularly care for Clarke as an actress, so I'm not that tempted to spend my money just for Lando.

16. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    A real problem is the Smurfette Principle which limits one new big female role per movie while men are never under this type of arbitrary restriction.

Jedi Jessy, unicorn and cerealbox like this.
  17. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The casting directors at LucasFilm sure do have a thing for British brunettes.

I'm not complaining.

[face_love]

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    eh, Leia doesn't count she was cast back in the 70s, so Padme is white by default because Luke/Leia are her kids and both are white. We don't know who Rey's parents are, they could have cast her because she's either a Skywalker or Solo kid, either way she seemed to have been the best actress for the role, impressing everyone. Felicity seems to have been cast because she impressed Alan Horn and KK etc and had the qualities that Lucasfilm was looking for the role of Jyn and beat out other actresses for the role. Same for Emilia she just beat the other actresses plain and sample after a grueling audition period and we don't know if there are other female characters in the Han movie either.

I would say SW has more of a problem with a lack of female characters especially in major/main roles where there are usually only 1 on average and the rest are minor/supporting character and every other character is male. It's almost all male characters.

19. Korr Sella

Aug 1, 2016
    We know woc auditioned for Rey, they cast Daisy. As far as we know the actresses they considered for Jyn were all white (brunettes), they cast Felicity. We know woc auditioned for the Han Solo lead, they cast Emilia. Whether or not there's anything underlying and regardless of the Smurfette issue, it's a pattern where all the "best actresses for the role" are all coincidentally white brunettes (and tbh I don't discount them taking Emilia's notoriety into account, she's much more established than any of the others auditioning).

"Best actress for the role" isn't always true for a variety of factors and I think its naive to assume otherwise.

dragonchic, Jedi Jessy and unicorn like this.
  20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    we actually don't know for 100% if Rey role really was an open casting, they used the Rey/Rachel to cast other actors in the film same for the male lead.

seems like the only problem here is people expected a WOC because that's what the trades were rumoring but none of that was ever official.

again I made a point in another post that majority of actors in Hollywood and in England are white, so probability a white person will get the role is bigger. If you want to guarantee a person of color than you don't go for open casting, you go for specific.

21. Korr Sella

Aug 1, 2016
    Jessica Henwick was in the running for Rey, and there are many excellent British actresses who are woc. But it seems for this casting, there was a lower probability that a white woman would be cast based on the names released so how does that work?

Jedi Jessy and unicorn like this.
  22. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Maybe she'll play an alien..... but that might be too similar to Guardians of the Galaxy, with Starlord and Gamora..... unless she's not a love interest.

23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Jessica Henwick was rumored to be in the running for Rey doesn't mean it was true.
    and besides Henwick is mixed race her dad is British and her mom is Asian. If for example Rey is supposed to be Luke's kid, than Henwick could fit the role as she's mixed. Outside of Henwick every actress that was rumored for the female lead they were all white girls.

Again all of those names released are not official nor do we know the entire group of actresses who auditioned. Happens all the time that the winner of auditions are someone that the trades never once named for the roles. No one had either Ridley or Emilia yet both of them won.

24. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003

I predict Ruth Negga will be the c-c-c-combo breaker.

25. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Since this character is clearly not Sana I got back to my hope from before that the female lead is a Imp officer hunting for Han and Lando. Or the new eu equivalent to Bria Tharen.