main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Emilia Clarke (Qi'ra) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Nov 18, 2016.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Mother of Wookiees!

2. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Ugh, please no. Bria Tharen was the worst Mary Sue ever. Besides, we know now that she didn't start the Rebellion or steal the Death Star plans with the new canon of Rogue One.

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I just mean a Rebel trooper who interacts with Han. This character does not have to be a Mary Sue or steal the plans. It would actually be pretty cool if Han steals from both the Imps and Rebels and has both sides after him. Like we have an ISB agent and a Rebel spy tracking them at the same time.

4. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    I could live with that. I just don't want to see her play a Leia 2.0 - petite brunette Han falls for who's devoted to the Rebellion. Give her something cool to do, like being an Imperial or bounty hunter.

I also wonder with the popularity of Emilia Clarke if they won't finish her and Han's story to leave open the possibility of sequels?

5. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    They could do that or possibly have her go her own way and potentially use her in a Boba film if she is a bounty hunter or criminal.

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well i guess we can rule out Sana Starros making an appearance.

7. JediDrunk

JediDrunk Jedi Knight

Dec 18, 2015
    I thought she was terrible in Terminator Genisys. :( Like so terrible that how badly she was miscast and how poor her performance was the most memorable thing about that terrible movie.

Hopefully she can pull off whatever role she has here but I'm not optimistic. :(

8. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

I think she's okay in GOT, but IMO Tessa Thompson is waaaay more talented than her, so I'm disappointed to hear she didn't get the role.

But if she's playing a villain or something - she might surprise me, since we've only really seen her playing heroic characters or love interests.

9. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Why does the main female have to be human? Can't she be Bith?

Toddy, Siphonophore and vncredleader like this.
  10. Italian Ackbar

Italian Ackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    I had two celebrities crushes during the past year: Daisy Ridley and Emilia Clarke. Thank you Lucasfilm.

11. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Just saw this post in a comment section:

"Having see the audition material, the part is a proto-Leia who just LOVES to banter back and forth with Han."

Let's hope this isn't true, that would be really uncreative.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I really want a SW film staring an alien character or one where the alien lead is not annoying or unable to speak. Part of what made Ahsoka work for me was that she was an alien. I am fine with not having Finn be a Duros cause obviously it is hard to act with all that prosthetic but this character could very well be a Twilek or a Zabrak. I would love that.

13. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    MOD EDIT: Removed completely unnecessary and utterly inappropriate comment. I still have a bad feeling about this movie but we'll see. It's gonna be hard seeing anyone but Harrison playing Han.

14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    It would be nice if the films for once had a main character who is a female alien.

But there is a good chance they will go for the boring homosapien option.

Her being a twilek could work.

15. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Emilia Clarke as Darth Talon confirmed!:p:D8-}

TX-20 and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  16. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Already started the theory that she is Rey's mom. Here we go again...

17. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I am glad there are diversifying. A lot of people still underplay the importance of representation, which usually is a non-issue for those who are used to see at least one important character in the casting that represents their demographic, not just in Star Wars movies but in most Hollywood movies in general.

But they are only diversifying for male characters. KMT is a good exception of rule, and I sure hope she gets the same level of importance in SW as all the white characters and Finn. Nonetheless, Han Solo could have easily been the first movie to be co-led by an important black female character, and they had great options. A black female friend of mine was actually looking forward to this movie since she read about the previous casting options, after her disappointment with Lupita Nyong'o being relegated to an alien side character of limited screen time.

So… yeah, it’s no wonder why some are a bit disappointed at this. It’s not just a matter of “diversifying” for sake of it, because that is quite a vague concept if you think that giving a role to an Asian American actress in galaxy of white female brunettes should be enough.

It’s about using opportunities to represent the vast gender and race diversity of the Star Wars fandom and working on to expand that fandom by making everyone feel included if they can. You can’t do that if you think diversifying is only about White People & Others. If the casting of Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen was enough to make my Chinese colleague finally interested in seeing a Star Wars movie, I can only imagine what the casting a black woman in an important role would do for some of those who never felt that Star Wars was about them.

Again, I am not disregarding the efforts of expending racial and gender representation done by Lucasfilm so far. I love them for that and I love them for making the Rogue One cast no just diverse, but also let them have their native accents, so Star Wars is no longer about Americans and British people to me.
    But I also can't help feel disappointment when I see that those efforts, when it comes to important female characters, don’t seem to extend beyond White Brunettes & Other (KMT) even when they had such a great opportunity with this movie, with any of previous actresses considered for the role.

18. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Here we go again :rolleyes: .

Emilia could be playing a blue skinned Twi'lek for all we know. Or green. They definitely won't go for red though, not enough money in it for Disney.

Darth Calvin likes this.
  19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    In other news, Gemma Arterton has been cast in the Untitled Star Wars 2020 Anthology.
    We don't know what part she's playing yet, just that she's the lead female role.

Ok. I'm just kidding. But at this point would anyone be surprised?

20. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Anyone else having a nerdgasm over this news?

21. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    There's ONE woman of color in that list.

There lies the problem

dragonchic and unicorn like this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Emilia Clarke!!!!!!! [face_love] [face_love][face_love] [face_batting] O:)

=D= ^:)^ [face_hypnotized] [face_dancing]

TX-20 likes this.
  23. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    "I am Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the Unburnt, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lady Regent of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons!"

Han: "I know"

24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I myself am not white, I'm a minority I'm Middle Eastern and Muslim you don't see representation unless a character is a terrorist.:p Never once cared about diversity and representation even as a kid, what's more important to me, to my sisters/relatives to my friends is story and character. You can relate to anyone as we are all human regardless of what we look like. I have Black, white , brown, and Asian friends and they all feel the same.

even as a 10 year old kid who went to a half white and half "minority" school, no one cared about this. You had people of all ethnicity who wanted to be a character regardless of what they looked like as long as the character was cool. Everyone wanted to be Blade, Agent J, Batman, Spiderman, Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee/Jet Li and play acted as them.

It also was never big deal to any female I know, all of them even relate to male characters, it's all about the characters themselves rather than what they look like. What's more important to them is to finally have females regardless of ethnicity play major roles in SW which is something you 1st got in TFA and now Rogue One.

I know it's not like this for everyone but that's how it's always been for me and the people I've known or met. Also as I have said before casting is not over, nothing says you can't have more than 1 female character in the Han movie. Heck for all we know Clarke plays some sort of scum who has a female partner in crime, just like Han's partner in crime is a walking carpet. etc.

Darth Calvin likes this.
  25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Rey's siblings are dragons!!!

A few SW fans may get neurotic and find a reason to get their panties in a bunch about this, but that is the case for every decision of every SW movie. The truth is, this is a thrilling choice for the vast majority who follow such things.

Sluice Friggins likes this.