main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 13, 2015.

1. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003

Well, its funny you bring this up. Because at the Rebels panel. The voice actors were discussing their characters. And Tiya S mentioned that Sabine was with her new family. Then she made a comment something to the effect of " well, her family for now." Dave F just dropped his head down not wanting to look at the crowd. The crowd erupted with anticipation of juicy info. But Tiya had a super smile and recovered and repeated "I did not say anything." Dave F just kept moving onto the next item. But made me curious as to where Sabine will end up in the master plan---Rogue does cross in time.

Seeher likes this.
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think Sabine is supposed to resemble a Maori.

Seeher likes this.
  3. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Interesting, very interesting. I just hope we don't have to wait till the next celebration to find out what character she is playing.

turnip white likes this.
  4. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Actually... I'm going to say that the whole Sabine being with her family now is actually about them picking up Rex and company on Mandalore.

5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, she was Harry Osborns P.A., Felicia Hardy. I do not know if the intention was to evolve her into Black Cat in the next one (until the change that is).

Krueger likes this.
  6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Isn't her helmet modeled after the Nite Owls? You can almost guarantee that if Rebels goes to Madalore next season, they will make an appearance of some fashion. Maybe she goes back to her old family before returning to her new one? [face_dunno]At any rate, it does seem like Tiya dropped something in that interview that Filoni did not want to give away just yet.

7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    darklordoftech, Revanfan1 and Seeher like this.
  8. FelicityRebel

FelicityRebel Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2015
    Here's Felicity on set of Ron Howard's Inferno with Tom Hanks from today. Hopefully she wraps this as soon as possible because she has a much more important movie to prepare for.^:)^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I said this in the Forest Whittaker thread, but I thought I'd add it here to.

I'm guessing that Felicity Jones plays a character with no combat experience. She is the pilot of the landing craft that carries the assault team, or a unit of it, to the planet surface, and isn't supposed to go any further. However, something goes wrong - engine trouble, a crash, etc. - and Jones is forced to join the squad that the film centres on.

Or ... Jones is indeed trooper, but one with no actual time in battle.

Either way, this seems like the most obvious, and the interesting, approach - to have the audience follow the hero from innocent rookie to combat veteran, rather than start her out as a veteran.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    No that sounds really cliché/predictable imo.

11. FelicityRebel

Mar 20, 2015
    What would you suggest?

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm not going to say "predictable" or "cliche," necessarily. But I think I see where Thrawn is coming from (or Hogg when he calls his idea "obvious").

As far as SW goes:

Luke? Coming-of-age tale where the main comes from a relative nothing (farm boy), before outside events spur him to greater heights.
    Anakin? Coming-of-age tale where the main comes from a relative nothing (slave), before outside events spur him to greater heights.
    Ahsoka? Coming-of-age tale where the main comes from a relative nothing (inexperienced Padawan), before outside events spur her to greater heights.
    Ezra? Coming-of-age tale where the main comes from a relative nothing (street rat), before outside events spur him to greater heights.
    Rey? I don't know how much spoiler-y stuff I can say here, but you catch my drift.

And now Jones? Coming-of-age tale where the main comes from a relative nothing (pilot who isn't supposed to go any further/soldier whose never been in combat), before outside events spur her to greater heights.

Must every SW Film/TV project be cut from this same general mold?

Again, not a poor idea (it clearly "works"). Just... the same. I guess I'm just hoping for something a little different from the Anthologies.

As far as where Felicity's character is when we meet her? How about someone who is already experienced? Who is a formidable opponent, going-in? I think I'd like that.

-----

Now, I'm no screenwriter, but in the spirit of trying something a little different for SW (and contributing something to the discussion), I envision maybe a story which is less about the traditional arc of any specific protagonist. But rather, an ensemble piece. The story of a group of Rogues, who each fulfills a traditional archetypal role (and, generally speaking, stays within that role).

And what drives the action isn't the story of any one main character's growth, but a shared goal among the group. Where the story isn't about any single character's journey (with other characters supporting/facilitating the protagonist's odyssey), but a shared, common objective.

Heck, I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't even be averse to a tale where the mission to secure the Death Star plans ultimately succeeds (as we know it must), but by the end, the heroes are wiped out. All of them. And the name "Rogues" goes down in history as a symbol of ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom.

Now that would make me view the opening scroll of ANH (and Lucasfilm's willingness to do something different) in a new light! I understand that it's not any more original than Hogg's idea, but at least it's a bit different for SW (even if only a little bit).

-----

I don't know. Whatever they end up doing, I can already safely say that the premise of the film has me psyched for Opening Night.

Sarge, Revanfan1 and Immortiss like this.
  13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It would be interesting, to say the least, if Felicity Jones character ends up being Luke's wife in the TFA back story. Perhaps played in a flashback by Leanne Best.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  14. FelicityRebel

Mar 20, 2015
    These are good points but a lot of times you can take these traditional archetypes and find ways to make them feel fresh and unique, maybe even subvert the expectations of the archetype throughout the film. Hopefully Weitz can pull this off if she starts out as a traditional archetype. Thank god Whitta is not writing this anymore because I am fully convinced that guy is a hack and could not pull this off.

Lets look back at the little bit Edwards said about Jones's character-

"Edwards confirmed that Jones would be playing a resistance fighter who has “fear, humor, and warmth.”"

Now while this may seem like he is telling us nothing, to me it is actually revealing. The fact she has fear tells me she won't be one of these cliched modern "bad-ass" "ass kicking" female character. She will be a human with real vulnerabilities. I think the same can be applied with warmth, a typical cliched female character these days do not have that. They are too "bad-ass" to show compassion for others. Last but not certainly not least is the humor aspect. This aspect pleases me greatly and should help ease the concern that Edwards is making something too "gritty" and "serious" for Star Wars if the main character has to display humor throughout the movie. It will still feel like a Star Wars movie, it will just likely be a bit more serious than some others.

Just based on Edwards 3 words he used to describe her character make me confident she will not be a cliche.

15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

It would be even better if she wasn't just a flashback. ;)

FelicityRebel

Is there enough out there to judge fairly Whitta's ability?

Screenwriters aren't exactly credited fairly for there work and the majority of work seems to have been Whitta's.

It would be good if if we get a few classic war movie stereotypes in Rogue One like the tough sergeant, the inexperienced senior officer or the "religious one that goes crazy" (as bart Simpson would say). Maybe a Private Hudson tribute - the scared guy in Aliens that loses it over the course of the mission. :)

Trebor Sabreon and Immortiss like this.
  16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Rogue is going to be great right up until we know TNH's cue to appear.

17. FelicityRebel

Mar 20, 2015

His credits are The Book of Eli and After Earth (Two awful movies). Not to mention he is a Lucas basher. That alone is enough to have him on my **** list. Glad he was replaced with Weitz who is likely doing a overhaul of his first draft.

18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I quite liked Book of Eli, and After Earth didn't resemble his script at all. Will Smith had that film changed more times than you can count. He must have done something right to be picked to be writer.

As for Jones' character going from rookie to experienced, I doubt it. She just has a one film arc. they aren't goi g to waste it showing her to become a hero if she ends up not being any part of 4-6.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    That's kind of where I'm coming from, too, I guess.

If the characters in Rogue One are of the "one-shot" variety, there likely won't be enough screen time to develop a new character's entire hero's journey (the route SW generally prefers). With that being the case, I think it makes more sense to expect each character to fill the roles traditional to the "war movie," and that is that. It would be less about the characters than the objective.

However, if there are already designs for Jones' character to be included in more films beyond RO? If -- to take just one suggestion as an example -- she were to be Luke's future wife? Then it makes all kinds of sense to start her out from the beginning, and then watch her grow over time as a character.

I think it depends on what, if anything, they have planned for her in the future, beyond this first Anthology.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. FelicityRebel

Mar 20, 2015
    Sometimes people make bad choices when hiring someone (Lucasfilm made a mistake with Trank as well). They both got fired and replaced. Good riddance, I say. Especially the Lucas basher Whitta.

21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

TNH?:confused:

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Those too movies are simply projects that he got final credits on. He may have worked on a lot of other projects and worked as a script doctor.

Clearly Kathleen kennedy hired him for a reason. And he has impressed Lucasfilm enough that they've given him more work.

And Weitz is a "Lucas basher" too - plus he wrote one of those Eddie Murphy/Nutty Professor movies. Yet, clearly Kennedy hired him for reason too.

23. FelicityRebel

Mar 20, 2015
    Proof?

24. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I really despise this modern concept of legitimate criticism = bashing/ hating. So, some people criticize Lucas' recent output. So what? He's not the Supreme Leader of the Republic of North Korea, and most of us in the fandom are not North Koreans. Such criticism can be very healthy. And it may even show that a filmmaker is thinking critically about Star Wars, and might have some good ideas on how to improve it.

25. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Hoggsquattle likes this.