main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 13, 2015.

1. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I didn't think Jyn, or any of her party for that matter, were going to survive. That said, after playing the Rogue One DLC for Battlefront yesterday and having a chance to hear some of the new score from RO, my opinion has changed a bit. There is one piece of music that sounds very familiar. Uncannily similar to Rey's theme from TFA in fact. I would never have thought they would go that route, and I have been against all the Jyn as Rey's mother theories in the past. Seems too obvious and cheap. But this piece of music had some very similar elements. It got me thinking that even though the main story of RO is how the Rebels obtained the DS plans, it would also make sense to have a connection to the ST being it's sandwiched right in between the movies, and Rey's parentage is a big mystery that ep VII left us with. Who knows... But either way if it winds up being so, it would mean Jyn has to survive at least 15-16 years beyond RO.

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm now thinking her death will be heavily implied, but not witnessed on screen.

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Grimy is different from Gritty and I don't exactly know how a swamp isn't grimy per se. As for the rest I have never associated it with grimy in any major way. In that sense ROTS is also the "grimest" movie of the saga as per the devolution Lucas makes notably from TPM to ROTS on the planets and vehicles after 3 years of inter-galactic war.

That times ten in ROTS because we know by then it is which is the thrill of it.

If it is for you then it is. I just don't see it that way at all. The only bright spot in ROTS is the first 22 minutes and even then Anakin cuts Dooku's head off. Then Anakin's dreams and descent leading to the second half.

TESB doesn't really hit anywhere near that consistently until Han goes into carbon freeze and that is about 3 quarters of the way in or so.

Anyway in terms of Rogue One the grit is from regular soldiers who don't have the Force with them and the grime is evident from the difference between the ANH version of Yavin to the R1 version.

miasma likes this.
  4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "Traditionally, Star Wars’ heroes have been messiah figures: Anakin Skywalker was the Chosen One, Luke his incredibly powerful son, and it’s safe to say that there’s more to Rey than meets the eye, in spite of her insistence that she’s “just a scavenger”. As if to hammer home the point, the first teaser trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story began with a roll call of Jyn Erso’s various transgressions – she’s no wet-behind-the-ears farmgirl or yippee-spewing child of prophecy.

“Jyn isn’t someone who’s looking to be a heroine,” says actress Felicity Jones, who leads the cast off the back of outstanding performances in the Oscar-winning The Theory Of Everything and genre tear-jerker A Monster Calls. “She’s had an experience of life, she’s someone who very much finds herself having to really toughen up and embrace the situation that she’s in, but it’s definitely something she’s thrown into; she’s not out looking for it.”

It’s a view that director Gareth Edwards very much concurs with: “I didn’t want to have a central character where they were born to save the galaxy – that feels like what A New Hope did, so really it’s someone who wasn’t necessarily born to do anything, and something happened to them in their life that put them on a different path. They weren’t destined to be a saviour, and they weren’t necessarily destined to have the life they ended up having."

“The idea was that she wasn’t supposed to have this life. Because of what happens to her when she’s young, the life she was destined to have is shattered, and she ends up like a soldier, so I wanted it to feel like this is a woman who’s pre-destined to be like this, and that she’s rose to the challenge, but inside there somewhere there’s a little vulnerability. You can see the crack in the armour, and that she might not make it. I think it was more interesting to have someone that wasn’t totally badass to the point where you never felt like they could lose – there’s a side to it where you do worry about her, and you think that she might not make it out of the film.”

“All of the Rebels in Rogue One are unlikely heroes,” adds Jones. “They are brought together in the galaxy, but they’ve all had histories and they’ve all had their own struggles to overcome, so there’s a real unity in them, and that’s partly what brings them together: hope. There’s a willingness for all of them; they’re finding their purpose, and in some ways they’ve been quite disparate. There’s been a loss, so they come together to unite on something that they really care about.”

https://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/rogue-one-jyn-erso-isnt-your-normal-hero/

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015

I'm mainly posting this for the insane yelling by the photographers.

Toddy likes this.
  6. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Sounds like Felicity smashed it. That's 2 for 2 for our female Brits! Over to you Emilia!

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. Darth Zitious

Darth Zitious Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2016
    I thought Felicity did a great job! Jyn was a great character. The emotional scenes with Jyn were spot on, hit me right in the feels.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    she's very good in some scenes , but overall I don't think it was a great character .

9. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    She disappointed me, she's not bad, but in some scenes Felicity was in a strange performance.

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  11. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Huh.

Guess that also shoots a hole in the speculation that her paycheck was so much larger because it took into account the fact that she wouldn't have any other movies to make it back on.

12. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I thought Felicitywas good.

13. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    sorry, but I'm not interested in a prequel to a character who is dead. For what reason? :rolleyes:

starocean90 likes this.
  14. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    It's normal for an actor to sign for more than one film, and maybe she can appear on other standalone films (before Rogue One) as a special participation.

15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    so your not watching the young Han movie?[face_tee_hee]

16. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    my motivation is less than for Rogue One. It is a movie I don't need to follow regarding any rumors, casting, filming or whatever. If I watch this movie in cinema will be a decision done very late. As I said, it is not a movie I have much interest in. I don't care for neither the characters nor the story. It will be again something without lightsabers or the force and we already have enough of these kind of stories lately.[face_dunno]

starocean90 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think my favorite thing about Jyn's character may be her showdown with Krennic, when she said "You know who I am." It really means a lot if you read Catalyst because Krennic always ignored her and usually called her "the child." Even notice at the intro when he said "They have a child; find it." Jyn Erso was never a person to Krennic, she was an obstacle in getting to Galen. And she remembered that when they had their showdown; she remembered Krennic. That scene was super loaded if you've read the book, so bravo to Luceno for getting that across, and bravo to Mendehlson and Jones for that scene.

JediLight and dick rodgers like this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Out of all the characters I really wanted Jyn to make it off that damn planet and find some peace somewhere but it wasn't to be. :_| Jones did a fantastic job.

Davak24, starfish, JediLight and 8 others like this.
  19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Same here, going in I didn't expect her to make it but I really liked her as a character and agree Jones was great, which made me hope more and more as the movie went on that she would make it. Still, I think her death was well done and she went out a hero, so that helps I guess.

Davak24, MaciekRS, JediLight and 4 others like this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    So you weren't interested in Episodes I-III? You know, the three films about a dead Anakin?

Or any other film that's about a person (or character) who died?

I don't know about you, but I don't hold Abraham Lincoln's or Julius Caesar's deaths against them.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2016
    so your not watching the young Han movie?[face_tee_hee][/quote]

Han ain't dead till I see a body.

People fall down pits and live all the time in Star Wars.

Knowing Han he fell into another carbon freezing chamber and is floating in space.

Force Smuggler and starocean90 like this.
  22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Han ain't dead till I see a body.

People fall down pits and live all the time in Star Wars.

Knowing Han he fell into another carbon freezing chamber and is floating in space.[/quote]
    There is no body because it was vaporized when the Starkiller base blew up.

He's dead, Jim. It's an entirely different situation than Luke or Maul falling down a pit. Time to accept reality.

Now back to Jyn....

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Ha. Look at my prediction before seeing the movie.

JediLight and WhyKnock like this.
  24. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    So Jyn is Rey's mother confirmed?

25. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Well, we saw her last days on Rogue One, and she wasn't pregnant, was she?