main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 13, 2015.

1. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014

She "prayed" with it when they are going to enter Scarif's shield gate thus trusting the Force as told by Lyra so it's not for the plot but character development. I actually like this moment better than the hologram for some reason. I continue to find that the best SW scenes are the ones where little to no words are spoken at all.

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  2. DaffyTheWizard

DaffyTheWizard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2017
    I thought Jyn was a cool character, liked her a lot. Felicity Jones did a great job. It was sad how she and Cassian died. Actually seeing how all of the Rogue One crew died was pretty sad. :_| I thought they did a good job with making you get invested in the characters enough that when they do die you felt something.

Blue 5, fives_is_alive and ladygrey45 like this.
  3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm having some issues with Jyn's change of heart post-Eadu. Her overall arc makes sense to me. She goes from being passive about the Empire in light of being robbed of her parents and her separation from Saw, and then the hologram spurs her into action to find Galen and the Death Star plans.

However, in light of Galen's death on Eadu, I'm having trouble reconciling how Jyn is further galvanized into wanting the Rebellion to take action on Scarif. In the scene on the Imperial Cargo Shuttle, she recognizes that the Rebels intended to kill Galen, and furthermore, she realizes that it was the Rebel bombs that were responsible for his death. Yes, she wants to honor her father, but when both the Imperials and Rebels are equally responsible for Galen's death, her sudden call to action feels abrupt.

4. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I Think the novelzation dealt with that better then the movie. and she even figures in her mind the rebels will dissapoint her again.....but even she doesnt think they are gonna run hide or surrender.......also bodie comes up with 'rogue one' because they are 'going rogue' and jyn even anticpates that cassian and his group are coming to arrest them not join them.......she still doesnt trust or like the alliance. but she has to do what she has to do to honor her father and stop the death star.

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think it's simple. He father recognized that only the Rebellion had the capacity to carry out such a mission, and so does Rey, no matter her opinion on some of their tactics. Not to mention that she's quite critical of the Alliance during her speech scene. Indeed, she mocks many of their members for suggesting a scattering of forces.

Indeed, I think Giacchino made a mistake here by inserting "inspiring speech" music during the scene. Jan was being quite desperate, nervous and harsh during that scene, and I wish the score better reflected that.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah the music in that scene is off. She is pretty much just saying the same thing Raddus and Bail just said but more manic and annoyed. The whimsical music does not fit at all. She is supposed to be essentially and outsider who feels helpless and frustrated speaks her mind.....and reasonably is shot down by Mothma.

7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I can't imagine Rey has any opinion on it at all, what with not having been born yet.:p

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Right. This is one reason why I feel the music is the film's weakest link. Giacchino often seems to be scoring for a different film.

Oh, and yeah. I meant Jyn not Rey. :)

9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    My mom thought she survived. Guess they missed the massive explosion that engulfed her.

vncredleader and DaffyTheWizard like this.
  10. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    For me, I love Jyn Erso. She is a fantastic new character to the Star Wars universe. Her story arc was shorter than other protagonists, but left me with a genuine emotional impact while also being unique and fleshing out the lore of the saga's story and the charactization of the Rebel Alliance. I'll review how I perceived Jyn throughout her story arc and then give other thoughts.

First, the prologue with her as a kid really set the table. She was just out playing on the farm like kids do when the Empire came and ruined her family and life forever. The necklace she received was a tiny story device, but effectively gave Jyn a connection to The Force (in the tiniest way), the Death Star, and her mother and childhood. Her actress who played her at age 8 deserves credit for seeming innocent and harmless. Also, great facial expressions of inflicted pain. Having just witnessed her father's abduction and mother's murder, she was alone and in hiding.

She is rescued by Saw and trains as a soldier, as later told through dialogue with Saw. This was the main negative, as I wished we could have seen an accelerated version of them together, having their relationship a bit more fleshed out. Because Saw was all Jyn had at that point, but even he abandoned her, leaving her utterly alone.

Jyn was traumatized as a kid. And that trauma haunts her mind and spirit. Her mental flashback depicted this in prison, and it was clear from her charges and the fact she was in prison that she had begun taking destructive recourse against the Empire in any petty way she could. When the Rebels busted her out of Imperial detention, she was vicious until she got absolutely clocked by K-2SO. And let's face it, she got her bell rung by a gigantic bodyslam. And it hurt. But it showed her physical toughness, almost like the flood of emotional pain dulled physical pain, and despite seeing stars from the blow (her expression was great), she didn't whine or cry.

There is no doubt she was confused why the Rebels freed her, and initially agreed to help for selfish reasons. While preparing to leave for Jedha, the scene where Cassian asked her where she got her gun and she said perfectly "I found it" shows she probably stole it, and signalled what type of lifestyle she was used to living. On Jedha, we see that she is tough and speaks her mind. But she is curious, too, and makes fast friends with Chirrut, who senses her tiniest connection to the Force. Cassian, after seeing the state of Jedha, explains that the rebellion is dire, BUT BUILT ON HOPE. We also see how she feels sympathy for the little girl who was caught up in the battle. I think Jyn saw that girl crying and saw herself as a child, and we see that while hardened and bruised, Jyn still feels compassion and has a soft spot. This soft spot is exposed more when she reunites with Saw. Felicity did a great job IMO of expressing the bypass of walls and barriers Jyn had built up around herself. I gathered that she was indeed happy to reunite with Saw, and the scene felt genuine despite the unfortunate lack of backstory. Jyn's first wall gets exposed when she tells Saw that regarding the Empire vs Rebels, "All it has ever caused me is pain". And you can hear the pain and see it on her face. Her walls get shattered when she sees her father in the hologram. She realizes her father loves her and believes everything he says, and you see all her barriers melted in her facial expressions, suppressed emotions finally surfacing. I felt it was an emotional scene well acted. It was also the first time, I sense, Jyn felt any hope whatsoever in a long, long time.

After that, en route to Eadu, Jyn has one goal: reunite with her father, and rescue him. She was also very defensive of him, and you could sense a hint of optimism that for a girl so broken and hurt, was like renewed life in her heart. But after a bittersweet final reunion, where her long lost father died in her arms, she felt sadness but a clarity of mind and a renewed motivation for life: finish what her father started, and make the Empire PAY. It became her purpose. It became her being. It became her existence.

Being aligned already with the Rebellion, she decides to fully join them. She feels a renewed hope and shares what Cassian had already shared with her with the Rebel Counsel: Rebellions are built on hope (HOPE being something she now truly felt in her heart) and that they needed to stop being afraid, stop submitting and FIGHT. It was here that Jyn Erso, in my eyes, became a legend. The Rebellion was teetering, with some giving up, some wanting to quit and others terrified. So Jyn rallied her friends and splintered off into her own rebel faction, just like Saw did. And they said over radio that they were ROGUE ONE. Jyn Erso basically said that, well, I AM GOING TO FIGHT!

All of us know what went down in the Third Act. But what is key is that Jyn Erso and Rogue One as a rebel faction rallied the Rebel Alliance from the brink. The Rebel Alliance discovered they were fighting and that unified all of the Rebellion. They launched a massive offensive that resulted in their first victory. Jyn finally meets Krennic face to face, and you can sense her loathing of him, her satisfaction of defeating him and avenging her father, along with finishing her father's sabotage when she hisses "you've lost"!

But it came with a big price tag. For all of Rogue One. But even though she knew she was about die, and was afraid at seeing her death approach her, for the first time in her life she was not alone. Not abandoned.

Her death was sad for me, but was a PERFECT end of her arc. Felicity Jones did an amazing job acting, in my opinion. Felicity has a completely different personality than how she acted Jyn. Not only did I feel Jyn was tough and grounded and easy to relate to on a human level, but Felicity Jones is very attractive and Jyn is adorable looking. A good looking girl with fierceness. She was a great new character who I really like. Rest in peace, Jyn Erso.

11. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
  12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
  13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  14. Dr_Cthulhu

Dec 29, 2015
    Tough crowd. :)

15. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    More viewings helped me. At first I thought she broke down too soon, so the impact didn't land right. But in my third viewing, the little flashback montage (right after Tarkin's first scene) helped put her feelings into perspective. And I realized that she doesn't really lose it until Galen says: "Most of my life has been wasted." It's fitting because that line hits hard for me, too.

Revanfan1, Gigoran Monk and Vader0706 like this.
  16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  17. Blue 5

Jan 6, 2017
    Felicity Jones SNL skit, rocking a New York American accent.

18. Darth Pig

Darth Pig Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 21, 2016
    I was worried about this character after the first trailer. Thankfully it was just a horrible, horrible trailer.

She was not a superwoman, just a flawed character whose lover for her father compelled her i.e. believable.

Her death felt rather pointless in the end - I would have liked them trying to get off and then accepting their fate.

DaffyTheWizard likes this.
  19. Dr_Cthulhu

Dec 29, 2015
    Blue 5 likes this.
  20. Blue 5

Jan 6, 2017
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    This is super silly to ask, but just to make sure,, Jyn's mom/Lyra did die at the beginning right.?

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes. she was riddled by deathtroopers.

B99 likes this.
  23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Perhaps. Though she does bear a passing resemblance to a character named Snoke...

BenYodaDagobah likes this.
  24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Never thought of that! :p

BenYodaDagobah and Gigoran Monk like this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    [​IMG]