main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Forest Whitaker (Saw Gerrera) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Jun 15, 2015.

1. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    Did he actually say absolutely no jedi?
    I seem to remember the way he phrased it left room for them to shoehorn one in but I could be wrong.

Not that I want any Jedi. I'm still mad at Rebels for putting THREE into an era when there aren't supposed to be any other than Obiwan and Yoda!

Everyone has this weird idea with without lightsabers it can't be star wars even though they actually barely feature at all in the first movie.

Darth_Pevra and DARTH_BELO like this.
  2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -Two ex-Padawans.
    -A barely trained force-sensitive teen.

That would be more accurate. And sorry, but I NEVER bought that, in the entire MASSIVE GFFA, Obi Wan and Yoda were the ONLY Jedi to escape.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I don't think "everyone has that weird idea" and I'll admit that the idea of using Jedi in Rebels didn't sit well with me when they were first announced.

However, it is is very clear from listening to Filoni talk about the show, that it wasn't done on a whim and that great thought has been given to how this will all fit together.

And I don't know if Edwards used the word "absolutely", or something similar, but he said there would be no Jedi. No Jedi means no Jedi and there is no reason to "shoehorn" one in.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I would be ecstatic for Forest Whitaker in Star Wars in an role.

IIRC at Celebration Edwards was kinda cagey about Jedi in Rogue One. I don't think he said anything along the lines of there certainly won't be any.

5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Forest Whitaker sounds like an incredible choice.

On a side note, I glanced through the announcement and almost had a panic attack. I saw Ahmed and thought "NO JAR JAR! NO!" Different Ahmed. OK, I'm good now.

Darth Basin likes this.
  6. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

There was no "cagey-ness" - he said it outright. ;)

7. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    lol he's gonna be a desk jockey the entire film [face_laugh]

but I can see him as a respectable/feared general/admiral or commander. Similar to Tarkin, attitude wise, but not as high ranked as him. As long as he doesn't try fighting or piloting, I'm down

Sarge likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Whitaker can do big and loud, which is kind of what you want in a Star Wars movie, especially if he's playing a baddie.

9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    It is possible, like the old war films that Rogue One is said to be based on, that the movie won't have an actual "villain" or Big Bad.

Obviously they'll be fighting stormtroopers and various Imperial officers, but maybe the story doesn't require there to be one stand out Imperial officer to be the foil for the Rebels?[face_thinking]

The threat might just be the odds they face or the task of infiltrating the base itself, like Saving Private Ryan or Guns of Navarone.

10. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    One of the best military movies I've ever seen. It would be nice if Star Wars can pull off an emotionally invested film like SPR.

11. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    He's going to be an officer I guarantee it. Rebel or Imperial I don't know. Doesn't really matter, though, cause he can play either one.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    What do you mean by "emotionally invested"?

13. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    He'd be great.

14. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I, as well as the people who I watch the film with, were emotionally invested in Saving Private Ryan in regards to how concerned we were to the protagonist' well being. Nervous every scene, on edge. It's hard to explain but I want Star Wars to have a similar feel with their future films. Where your heart is pumping every scene. Idk something like that

15. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I really life FW but prey he's playing a mo-cap character.He's like Sam Jackson & Jimmy Smitts,its just gonna be FW and NOT the character,no matter how good he is.

16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Well, isn't that one of the purses of telling stories? You want the audience to care or there is little point.

You say "It would be nice if Star Wars can pull off an emotionally invested film like SPR" as though Star Wars hasn't done that already. This forum is evidence that it has.

Perhaps you mean elevating the emotions to the elves of the adult Saving Private Ryan? No, that happen. Disney and Lucasfilm have no desire to traumatise an entire generation of children with harrowing displays of the effects of war on the human soul. ;)

It will the same level of adventure and fun like RotJ and TCW (Landing at Point Rain, Bad Batch arc, etc.), but this time not all the heroes are going to make it home. ;)

17. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Maybe Anakin killing a bunch of Jedi younglings wasn't traumatizing enough. You're missing my point. I think Revenge of the Sith did well with the emotional aspect because it was such a tragedy. Knowing your favorite character could die any scene (like Game of Thrones or the original example, SPR). In Star Wars, with the exception of TPM (Qui-Gon) and RoTS (Mace, Fisto and just about everybody else), no one really died and for the most part you knew the characters were safe.

18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

How am I missing the point?

I said "but this time not all the heroes are going to make it home" - which is the same as what you said above.

And "traumatic aspect" of Saving Private Ryan is sustained through the whole movie. RotS doesn't show the murder of the children - Vader's injuries, while severe, are shown briefly and over only a few minutes, however, physical violence is not the issue.

Strip away the violence shown on screen and transplant the level of sustained "emotional drama" of Saving Private Ryan into Rogue One and yu will traumatise every child in the audience, because what Hanks and the other portray on screen is far worse than any of the gore and blood.

And Lucasfilm are making a family orientated war family - action, adventure, a bit a drama ad mainly fun.

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Changed tag to official and removed "???" from title.

starocean90 likes this.
  20. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I am guessing that Forest Whitaker will probably lead this ground assault/Rebel spy team. Or maybe be a Senator and friend of Bale Organa, and a major supporter of the Rebel Alliance?

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Whitaker is great and i'm sure he'll do fine. I look forward to seeing him and the rest of the cast do their thing on screen.

22. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    Honestly he could work equally well as a Clone Wars Vet Rebel Commander ordering the strike by any means necessary:

Or an Imperial Garrison Commander/Prison Camp Commandant casually ordering the deaths of thousands of workers to complete the Death Star.

I'm fascinated to see which.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  23. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
  24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Okay, I'm going to play Holy Cow he's in this... because I obviously was not paying attention when he was announced. Don't care who he plays, happy he's a part of the film.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  25. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    I can see him playing a fixer for the heist crew, he provides advice &/or equipment ?
    Arguably the best actor in the entire cast if he signs up

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.