main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Forest Whitaker (Saw Gerrera) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Jun 15, 2015.

1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

As far as how extreme, the only canon references to Saw's partisans refer to their "atrocities" and Kallus' story of them in Rebels talks about one of them point blank assassinating wounded imperial troops after an ambush.

2. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    From this interview : http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-vid...arge/2016/11/5-questions-forest-whitaker.html

3. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Love how he watched TCW to see Saw's journey. I feel a lot of other actors wouldn't go that far and just get the cliff notes. Really hoping for some TCW references from Saw!

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It wouldn't make much sense for him not to mention his sister at least once but glad to know he made research about the character's backstory.

5. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    He lied!

While I hadn't worked on sci-fi projects before,

How could Whitaker forget about Battlefield Earth? Did he block out that painful memory? ;)

6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    And what about Twilight Zone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

7. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/rogue-one-star-wars-story-complete-history-part-ii/

RavagerFish and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  8. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    "Save the Rebellion" is an awesome line!

9. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Man his performance was good. The entire audience was silent when he spoke, surreal. No one had the presence he had.

I really wanted more and I think so did they.

I didn't initially like how he just accepts his death but now it seems fitting. Could he have made it out? I don't think so.

my kind of scum and boonjj like this.
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I wonder if they did decide to do a Obi film set between 3 and 4 whether he could feature...? Hmmm

11. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    At the same time we've got a character running around on TV that we saw cut in half and falling down a shaft...

Paparazzo and Swashbucklingjedi like this.
  12. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Well Darth Maul is an alien, so maybe that could help explain his survival?

13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    So is Saw. So is everyone in the SW universe at the end of the day. There's any number of "in universe" explanations that you could use, but any of those could just as easily be used on a R1 character if they really really wanted to.

14. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    What was the name of the tentacled creature that Saw set on Bodhi? I felt that was one of the more unusual scenes in the film.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    That scene remembers me the tentacled creature of TFA, that scene and this scene i really don't like

cwustudent likes this.
  16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Saw was my favorite character in the movie. I actually hate the monster scene from TFA, but I thought Saw's "Lying Squid" sort of felt more in the vein of weird Star Wars creatures.

17. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Don't know, but unlike many others, I really liked that scene. It was one of those truly zany Lucasian things that I felt was missing from TFA (which I loved anyway). A bit of grotesquerie.

I also think it was a play on the famous squid that allegedly chooses the World Cup champion correctly every four years.

Darthmaul208 and Mungo Baobab like this.
  18. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Saw might be my least favorite thing/character of Rogue One.

Jedi Daniel and cwustudent like this.
  19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I actually thought it was a reference to Lying Cat in Saga.

20. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I felt like Whitaker was miscast as Saw, and it was great for them to give him exposure time but as a writer we need to understand:

What is the main purpose of having Saw on the film?

I guess that it would have been fine to let him rescue Jyn and then disappear but then on Jedha he wasn't necessary, the squid scene was weird and like out of place (the same thing as Han/TFA) because at the end they only showed the pilot like in shock.

Or either he got a lot of scenes axed from the final cut or his role wasn't well implemented on the script.

cwustudent and Tan-Wessel like this.
  21. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    He was completely unnecessary to the story. And overacted. I mean he was what brought the Rogues together, sure, but they could have done so any other number of ways. His tie to Galen was whatever. I think the most important thing about him was to show in a SW movie to the audience that the Alliance isn't perfect goodie goodie and not everyone thinks that they are.

I don't think that I would have had a problem with him if he were more like Lor San Tekka in the sense that there's more to him, a mystery but that's for another time and story. I know he actually does have more story outside of R1, but in R1, all that stuff was pointless. He rescues Jyn, okay. And he and Jyn listen to Galen's holomessage. Cool. That should be it for him, none of the extra, extra character development. No philosophical arguments, family arguments, and weird PTSD moments that didn't add anything at all.

cwustudent likes this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This was my feeling, as well.

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. Dreamer_Sith

Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2010
    I'm going to post what I posted in the missing scene's thread, because it probably belongs moreso over here.

I'm not sure I'd say miscast as the character was fine...but they barely defined him as the character he was. I know there's only so much time, but most people will say you shouldn't need the supplemental material to really figure out what's happening in a film. Here he wasn't "Saw Guerra, hero of the Rebels of Onderon." He wasn't "Saw Gerrera, brother to Rebel hero Steela Gerrera." He was just "Saw Gerrera...that guy who saved Jyn and then helped her out for a minute later."

Unless they plan to really flesh him out in other media, it just seems like it was a shout out to the overall SW canon to use Saw here. If it'd been anyone else, I don't think we'd feel he was miscast for the role, because it'd have been a new character. I will say, maybe he's also not quite the same since he's clearly lost a lot, including a lot of his own body, but I still can't completely justify it. Being as I thought very highly of the film, this is probably one of the few things that did bug me when it was over.

24. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
  25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    He could have escaped on the U Wing, if he wanted. If he made an effort rather than just giving up. Just standing there with his metal legs.
    I wanted to yell at the screen "Run Forest! Run!"

(Boom Tish)

Darkslayer and Cantina Regular like this.