main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Forest Whitaker (Saw Gerrera) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Made me think of

Jango723 and Mungo Baobab like this.
  2. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I got very invested in his character from watching TCW. I want to know his story from then to R1. Seems like a wellspring of potential great stories.
    How he got his injuries, how he lost his mind(?) Did he get brain sucked by that creature? Why he accepted his death. His extremist actions which caused the rift with the Alliance, etc.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Saw is there for the same reason shooting that guy for operational security was. It's to show the Rebellion is not nearly as united or tough as it appears to be.

4. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I've just got a copy of the Art of Rogue One book, and there are several concept pieces of Saw that seem to be going for a Colonel Kurtz vibe. I wonder if this was an inspiration?

5. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    I want to know about his (apparent) drug issues--you know, the whole "inhaler" thing? Seemed like it was giving him some sort of effect.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think he just needed extra oxygen. He was many ways like Darth Vader but with cheaper equipment. Sure who knows if he uses something- sure he need painkillers at least:p

Revanfan1 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  7. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004

Yeah, I wondered about this being oxygen too. The way it's played seems to me to imply that it's more than just oxygen he's getting.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Seems possible. Maybe
    Evazan and Ponda Baba
    sold him some spice before they left:p

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I still wonder what the actual Saw as a character time line looks like. That is, was it first draft of the script, this is Saw, or was it first draft of the script this is a rebel that is going to do whatever it takes, damn the costs, that the story group looked at and said, "oh, that's Saw..."

What I'm getting at is I still wonder if it was Forest Whitaker miscast as Saw, or Forest Whitaker cast as Castro, who becomes Saw at a later point in production, and then Forest goes and watches Clone Wars for inspiration.

10. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I really want to them to make a book or comic about his exploits. It could be ground for some great potential stories.

11. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I would like that.

12. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Saw was underused, if anything. His whole faction on the beaches of Scarf would have been more interesting.

But then agian, not a total fan of Whittaker anyway.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really enjoyed Whitaker's performance as Saw and it was sad to see that he's basically become a paranoid mess. His screen time was short but by the end of it I definitely understood why he didn't try to escape. He really had no fight left in him.

Pro Scoundrel and cubman987 like this.
  14. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I kind of wish we had gotten a bit more of Saw but I really enjoyed the parts we got. Whitacre pulled off the paranoid soldier stuff well and was also a bit terrifying in parts.

15. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I'm thinking either something from his perspective that shows his early years fighting the Empire and how he sustained his injuries, or a Zero Dark Thirty esque story told from the perspective of the Empire where he's presented as an Osama Bin Laden/Colonel Kurtz type figure.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  16. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    As he originated from the planned live action tv show, it feels like there's probably quite a bit more of Saw's story to tell.

17. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    Everything felt different about him; his look, his ideology (but I guess you could say it was hinted at in Rebels), his voice, and just how he acted. It all felt very different from TCW Saw that we saw on Onderon. Who knows, ~20 years can really change someone. Anyone else feel similarly?

18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    He was different however it isn't like they were supposed to be the same age. The Saw we watched in the movie had gone through twenty more years of war after the events of TCW. I think it would have been unrealistic if he did act similarly to the TCW character.

Revanfan1 and Darkslayer like this.
  19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I agree. I think Saw was presented well. I just wish they hadn't killed him off so early.

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  20. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    Yeah I agree. I guess it's more the look I didn't really like. Forest Whitaker did great but I feel like he didn't look like Saw, atleast in terms of costume. And yeah I agree with Darkslayer I really wish he was used more. He was one of my favorite characters in The Clone Wars and it was sad to see him die the way he did.

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    At least though it felt logical and made sense - he was too slow and he had the infamous mentor role.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It was actually the only character death I came close to crying over. The ending to his character was great and tragic because in the end he did become something he always was afraid of becoming and that was a terrorist/extremist.

Also literally, everyone dies in this film.

Darthmaul208 and ARC_RC-7567 like this.
  23. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    Pretty much how I feel, it was tragic. The whole movie was, but ended on a hopeful note and had the best action ever seen in Star Wars. Honestly though, I can't believe I thought anyone was gonna live. Half expected Cassian and Jyn to live until I saw the Death Star fire again. Cassian really quickly became one of my favorite characters though so I was sad about that too. But I digress.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I liked the way Saw was portrait, i mean it makes sense that he went kind of Grazy and Paranoid after all the decades of Fighting.

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    It definitely made sense - I could see that being a possibility for him post-TCW, he was pretty hard-core, and then Steela dying on top of that.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.