main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Gareth Edwards to Direct first Spin Off !

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by chris hayes, May 22, 2014.

1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Why do they need to? I see fans call for a good movie that is minimal on fan service and other fans cry for a release date that is all about fan service. December is a fine date.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Hamill has also said he thinks they are misunderstood though - he doesn't flat out dislike them.

Sent from my R2 unit

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I thinking this spinoff will feel like a generic sci-fi horror film.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    lool, good luck finding them

5. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I'm afraid that you will find directors like that in short supply. Sorry, I am being realistic.

6. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Do I have your permission to watch Episode VII in the theatres? I love Star Wars, but I greatly prefer the originals to the prequels. I was really looking forward to supporting a franchise I love but since I don't love the prequels I guess my money isn't good enough.

7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Gee the guy is barely hot off the press with G'zilla and they put him into the SW spin off seat. From what I read, the characters in G'zilla were flat, but who knows.

C'mon though-what about Vaughn or Cuaron for crying out loud!!!

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He needs to be enthusiastic about the movie he is making. That's all. End of story.

9. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Yes, but they were great in Monsters. That's where the disconnect is. Something went wrong there.

10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Please don't put words in my mouth. I was talking about the people making the film - fans can (and should IMO) think whatever they want.

Sent from my R2 unit

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He's not directing the prequels so I couldn't care less his opinion of them. Getting a good filmmaker to make a good film is what's important to me.

12. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Its all the same thing. I'm a fan, he's a fan. He shouldn't have to be forced to like something he doesn't. He never said anything disrespectful about the prequels. He never even explicitly said he preferred the originals over the prequels. If he was going around bashing the prequels that would be one thing, but he wasn't. I don't think its right for you to be able to dictate what people should like and shouldn't like.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    The Senate seemed smaller? Coruscant seemed smaller? Rly? :\ I understand if you want to say oh I don't like this performance or story point but the building and creatures you have a problem with?

Andy Wylde, darklordoftech and mes520 like this.
  14. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Why?

15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ok, fair point. I tend to get defensive over the PT sometimes.

Sorry guys for derailing this.

Sent from my R2 unit

Pro Scoundrel and TX-20 like this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. All I care about is that he likes his movie. Not my business what he thinks about the rest.

17. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    I would love to be proven wrong.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Haven't seen Godzilla or any of his works. So I don't know how feel about this.

Hope the announcement of what he's directing is next.

19. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I guess Nolan and Snyder have to be fans of Batman and Robin to direct the Batman movies or Ridley Scott to like the AVP movies to do Prometheus...

20. Orwick

Orwick Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2014
    I am surprised most of this discussion is about the director. While I am sure he will do a competent job, I am super excited about Gary Whitta writing! Those who are fans of Tested.com have listened to Gary on their podcast and he feels like an old friend. Its crazy that he is writing and awesome! By the way, I thought this should be heard, Mr. Gary Whitta talking about something Star War related. Warning there is some profanity in the video in case you have sensitive ears:

21. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    To be followed by MechaRancor, Rancor vs MechaRancor and finally Bob: Destroyer of Rancor

EHT, Pro Scoundrel and Darkslayer like this.
  22. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Why do you get that feeling though?

23. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Same here. I'll probably try watching Monsters. I've actually been planning to see Godzilla for a while and my friend JUST got us advanced tickets about an hour before the news hit of him doing the SW spinoff. I'll be seeing it in a few days.

24. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    A couple of takeaways from Godzilla that make me hopeful for this:

1. I noticed a very Spielbergian vibe coming from that film, which is obviously a great fit for Star Wars. Things like the constant use of action packed establishing shots (soldiers running past the camera, helicopters in the air) that set the scene before focusing on the central characters.

2. Gareth Edwards proved adept at getting a genuine sense of awe out of his action scenes. He knows how to give large images a sense of scale, and he knows how to withhold the spectacle so he can bust it out at the perfect moment for maximum impact (he may have done too much "withholding" for some, but the fact that he showed such restraint at all is a very rare and valuable trait in Hollywood these days.)

So overall? This could be fun. I think I'll be able to judge better once we know exactly what kind of film he'll be making, but for right now, I'm optimistic.

25. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    Just judging by their film credits.

Andy Wylde likes this.