main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Joonas Suotamo (Chewbacca) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Apr 11, 2016.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I want to see a young Chewbacca in his beach bum phase:

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  2. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    The body suit does seem to negate that to some degree but I will miss Peter Mayhew. There will be great sentiment to see the loss of Mayhew in this movie, but the reasons for that are perfectly acceptable; he's age and health concerns take priority. Overall, it would just be best to not make this movie. That's just my opinion and I hope I turn out wrong. :(

3. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm optimistic about it, and think it could be great, seeing Han's origins and meeting Chewbacca. But I'm not the one who hinges on the nostalgia of actors, especially ones who are too old for the role in its required state (I.e this time period). Han Solo is Han Solo. Let's see what Alden can bring to the table, and the actor portraying Chewie is, again, not a concern for me, as I think the dude who did it in TFA was spot on, really nailed the mannerisms and walk.

4. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I agree but I still have great sentiment towards the loss of Mayhew from Star Wars, if he is indeed departing for good. What if this movie turns out badly? Would it change your optimism of future Star Wars character-based anthologies?

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    It seems like there is an analogy to be made here, but I'm not sure what it is.

Personally, for me, I can tell the difference between Suotamo in the suit and Mayhew in the suit (or at least I can tell it is different sometimes, I don't think if there was a quiz I'd get 100%, like CGI v. practical bb-8, which ends up being the opposite each time). Obviously Suotamo worked with Mayhew, learned from him, etc., but at the end of the day I think you could make an argument that he's doing an "impression" of Chewie. An impression in that way is really the only way to continue Chewie in the ST or in these spin-offs, but most of us say that is not the way to continue with Han.

I guess what I'm puzzling over in my own mind is if there is any similarities there. Is it just different because chewie is a "fur" and not a "face" or is it a pro or con towards how they went with the casting of Han. Don't know, not even sure if that makes any sense to anyone else.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Wait, what? That's not at all what I said. What I said is that the recast for X-Men First Class made sense to feature a different actor portraying Magneto since all the cast was significantly younger and were played by appropriately aged actors. The initial First Class film was set some 30-35 years before the first X-Men film, so it wouldn't make any sense to use the same actors. The same is true for a younger actor playing Obi-Wan in TPM since it takes place 32 years before ANH. Specifically regarding the Han Solo film, Harrison Ford was 34 when he first played Han, and in ANH, Han was 28-29. Alden Ehrenreich is 26 and looks to be his age. Perhaps in the Han Solo film, they could age him down and place him about 22-23, which isn't a big difference from 28-29. As such, the difference between the two actors in both the Han Solo film and A New Hope will a less smooth transition than First Class was.

7. alexmiller1

alexmiller1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2016
    I hope they use a storyline on how they met at least somewhat similar to the story told by A.C Crispin in The Han Solo Trilogy..
    I actually really like that series

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Was Alden the same actor for Chewcacca in ROTS? Which one do you prefer? If they're different lets stick with Alden. I'm okay having different actors for our heroes because I know Lucasfilm goes to great lengths to keep it consistent.

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    You're getting your actors confused. Alden is han. Joonas played chewie in tfa and yes, probably the han Solo film. Peter still played him in rots.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Updated title to include the Official Info tag.

11. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    FWIW mayhew played chewie in TFA too, just in the sitting scenes from what i understand.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    :eek:

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

I think he did a few scenes where Chewie is just standing next to Han and they wanted Chewie to be facially 'expressive', such as their encounter with Bala-Tik and Han says he talks his way out trouble.

14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think he may be more aggressive.

15. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I don't think he'll be used all that much but I hope we see him rip someones arms out of their sockets.

16. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Parsec's....Not Just Distance!...a star wars mistake

17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    you CANT compare Ewan,Alec verses Harrison, Alden. Its not even close. We never got to see Alec play a young Obi Wan. They had to recast for obvious reasons. Harrison played Han Solo as a young and an old version. Its not the same. This movie is unnecessary, even more so than Rogue One. Alden will NEVER be as Han Solo as Harrison was. He might be good, but he is not Han.

18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    We never saw Harrison as Han pre-ANH. Exactly the same as the Ewan/Alec comparison.

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    WE DONT NEED A HAN PRE NEW HOPE 11-4D. its completely unnecessary, unlike The Prequel Trilogy.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You can say that about literally every single movie ever made. Personally I don't need seven hundred Transformer movies but some people enjoy them so it is what it is. Hopefully I'll be entertained by the Solo film. It's all I ask of any film I watch.

wobbits and JediMatteus like this.
  21. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

After A New Hope, which was a self-contained story, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, The Force Awakens and Rogue One were all unnecessary. But most of them were worth it. It's not about the necessity of a story concept. It's simply about whether or not a story is well-told. And if the Han Solo film is a story well-told, it will have been worth it.

Just come clean and admit that if you aren't interested in a film concept, you will deem it unnecessary, while if you are interested in a film concept (like that of an Obi-Wan standalone) then you will deem it necessary. Honesty will help you in this instance.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  22. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I always laugh when people call a film "unnecessary" or ask "did we need this film". Is any film in general necessary or needed?

themoth and GregMcP like this.
  23. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I want to see Chewbacca going through his hipster phase, with the whole point of the movie being to snap him out of it. At the end, he retires his ironic moustache and outfit, and becomes the Chewie we know and love.

[​IMG]

24. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Not the point, and not what I was talking about.

25. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    not going to lie if chewie isn't in the movie im going to be very disapointed