main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Mads Mikkelsen (Galen Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, Aug 15, 2015.

1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    He's doing the rounds of UK TV at the moment promoting that Marvel flick. They obviously ask him about Rogue One but he's not saying anything new.

3. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I've been a fan of Mads since King Arthur so it's great to see how much fun he had with Doctor Strange and Rogue One. Nice interview here.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This will be a very good year for Mads - being be in 2 of the biggest grossing films of the year.

7. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

was a good interview. Loved thse 2 quotes

Regarding the OT and then Star Trek. Sums it up [face_laugh]

Was “Star Wars” a huge thing to you in your youth?
    An enormous thing. I was – again, I was a little too young to see the first film. So, I caught the train later on. My brother saw it, and he was very dedicated to it, and we had people sleeping outside the movie theaters to get tickets as well. It was an explosion of the movie world, all over the planet, yeah.
    Do you want to do “Star Trek” too? Do you want to jump onto the show and maybe do a guest stint?
    I don’t know. I’ve never really been into “Star Trek.” I haven’t really watched it. So, I think I have to watch it before I answer that question. But working with Bryan is always a dream.

Big Boss likes this.
  8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  10. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    He looks great in this. Both when his daughter Jyn and him are younger and later when he is working for the Empire. This must be one of the most interesting characters in the film IMO.

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'd love to see him tackle another character like Tristan, but he's the most interesting to me of the human characters in Rogue One now. I am looking forward to seeing meeting his scientist who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

nightangel likes this.
  13. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Amazing actor.

14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It would be one thing if the Rebels destroyed the Death Star based on the knowledge of Galen's intentional flaw in its design prior to the Death Star ever being used. But that didn't happen. The Death Star was used several times and killed a lot of people. It brought fear and terror throughout the galaxy. Galen Erso was the principle architect of it, and led an entire team of engineers to build it. So while his intentional act of including a design flaw that would lead to the Death Star's destruction and his effort to make the Rebels aware of that design flaw was admirable, he is still very much responsible for the Empire even having a Death Star in the first place, whether or not they would have done so without him. It had to be someone, and he was it. Sure, he picked the lesser of two evils, him over somebody else, but it was still Galen in the end. For all intents and purposes, he's not far from Vader and Tarkin in terms of importance to the Empire and the evil they inflict at that present time. He is a direct provider for Vader and Tarkin to inflict that evil. But, like so many villains in the SW saga, he has a redeemable quality and commits a redeemable act, if for nothing else than to save face on a moral and ethical level. Still, however, in any war crimes setting he would still be liable for his actions on behalf of the Empire.

Don't get me wrong, I think Galen Erso is a great character. I'm not trying to paint him in a bad light. I'm just seeing past the rose colored lens that Rogue One wants us to see him through and looking at the reality of a man who is very much an Imperial and is fully aware of his role within the Empire.

I want to hear other opinions, is Galen a villain or not?

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I'd say a good guy because they would have eventually built the station without him so he built a flaw into the system to have it destroyed.

17. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Same as Vader on Episode VI, Villain he is, but redeems himself at his end.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

Guys, let's try not to create separate threads for things that can easily be discussed in character threads.

Diego Lucas likes this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I had a feeling that was going to happen. I thought about putting it into the general character thread, but I genuinely thought it was a good enough topic to make it its own. Usually specific points about a general topic get lost after a page or two. Which is also why I added the poll, I wanted to see what people think and get some talk about it.

I don't understand how some topics stay while others don't when they seem to be just as non-important.

Eh well, it is what it is.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    We try to make the individual character threads catch-alls, so that you can discuss most things related to the character in one place. It keeps redundant threads to a minimum. Galen, being a done in one character, doesn't really need more than one thread. It might be different if he were going to be in future films.

21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I'm reading Catalyst now.

Is Galen on the spectrum?

22. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Great actor and a wonderful performance. Right up there with Baze and Krennic as my favorite in RO.

23. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I wonder if they'll create a character who sabotaged the Starkiller Base also with a flaw.

JediLight likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I read the novelization reveals that the Death Star reactor had a radiation problem and Galen suggestes the exhaust hole as a solution to it when there were other solutions.

25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I hope that they release something of the backstory of his relationship with Bodhi - they seemed close.