main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Mads Mikkelsen (Galen Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, Aug 15, 2015.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Rogue One does I think clearly focus on the Empire's weaknesses not being military but rather as Monk says born of arrogance and immorality. Not only does the infighting between Krennic and Tarkin hold them back from discovering the weakness in the DS as the latter is too keen to kill the former but I think we also clearly get a similar situation to Sauron where the Imperials judge everyone by there own standards, believing they'll be driven by self interest alone and so underestimate them.

Honestly if Edwards did do another anthology project besides the talked about Obi Wan film I wouldn't mind seeing something mostly from the Imperial side showing someone's move towards defection.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    But like I had said before, one of the things I always liked about ANH was the fantastical nature in how the Empire was introduced as this already omnipresent unbeatable force with practically no origin story as to how it came about. Sure, there's Episodes 1-3 now that explains the origins of Vader and hints at the rise of the Empire. But there's still enough of a gap between Episodes 3 and 4 to maintain that feeling of this formidable foe that has already reached the pinnacle of its evil that needs to be defeated and without it being explained too much on how this villain came to be. And it's that villain archetype that I always liked. Han, Leia, and Luke outwitting the Empire and the Rebellion eventually defeating the it just plays into that in my opinion.

It's not that Galen makes the Empire appear weaker per se. It's just that his existence takes away that aura and that fantastical nature I had described. Because again, prior to RO, watching the Empire operate throughout ANH, you kind of saw them as what I described. But now with the inclusion of RO in the story, and more specifically the inclusion of Galen, you can't not have that in the back of your mind when you see them formulating their plans on how to rule the galaxy.

3. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    To me the Empire in the OT pushed the idea of the banality of evil, it wasn't like say the Nazi's in Indy but rather this massive establishment force run by a handful of evil/greedy individuals.

I think in that respect things clearly differ rather from LOTR, in that story Sauron is set to roll over everything and kill or brutally enslave everyone and the main challenge ends up being how to characters react to this, most obviously do they turn to the ring? In SW though I think the moral challenge is much more getting involved in the fight in the first place, Han for example doesn't fully commit to this until midway though ROTJ. Theres I think more of a sense that if you keep your head down things might be ok for you which obviously plays into Galen and Jyn's story as well.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    He swapped the Death Star battery for an iPhone one.

Iron_lord and PCCViking like this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think we might see Galen Erso in the Andor show. maybe he does more to the death star. I lvoe it if all the weakness of the death star is all to him.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Andor certainly knew who he was shooting at from high up on the mountain, all the scientists were dressed the same. The only time Galen stood out was when Krennic ordered his Deathtroopers to kill the scientists, even so it would've been a guess for a stranger.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    points at the Darksaber superweapon from Legends

PCCViking and Sarge like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Actually, Galen was dressed completely differently to the rest of the scientists on the platform.

EHT likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Here's an image:

[​IMG]

12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I watched it again, easy to forget that sequence, lots happening in it. Cassian has Bodhi point out which one is Galen. Though from that distance when looking through a night scope it wouldn't be clear if Bodhi didn't identify him.
    [​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Sure. But because Galen was wearing a different outfit from the rest, Bodhi was able to easily identify him to Cassian.

Django Fett likes this.