main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Mads Mikkelsen (Galen Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I wonder if he is in cuffs in that picture...? Or maybe it's just the way he is holding his hands [face_dunno]

2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    This was exactly my thought. He's like a dark Uncle Owen! A great traditional Star Warsian look, while also being new.

And to the Galen Erso is Lor San Tekka theories. Why? And why would their names be different? Seems like that would require some really unnecessary convolution to explain.

Galen Erso is Galen Erso. He designed/ invented something beautiful and helpful to humanity, and the Empire perverted it for use in the Death Star. That's who he is. Not a Church of the Force acolyte.

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Don't think so, not yet anyways. I think that is right as Kendrick and the death troopers are walking up, so he's just dusting off his hands wondering what the hell those 7 guys want.

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Mads spoke about Galen creating something "beautiful" that was then likely perverted by the Empire for use in the Death Star. My guess is that it's a piece of technology used to focus energy. In this case, possibly a small sphere that ultimately focuses the many lasers that emerge from the Death Star, as shown below. I'm thinking that RO may retcon in such a tiny sphere, which sits stationary in the Death Star's orbit, right where the lasers meet.

[​IMG]

5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Lor San Tekka's first line in TFA was "This will begin to make things right" - what is he atoning for?

He knows Leia "She'll always be royalty to me" so knows her from the time period of pre-ANH.

Lor San Tekka = Lore (knowledge) San (sans - without) Tekka (Technology) - seems like someone joined a church and renounced the pursuit of knowledge of technology, kinda like his previous life involved creating some awful Death Star.

Popes take new names when they are elected, Galen might have done that.

[​IMG]

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they are different characters.

7. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I think if they were going to use that same character, they would have aged him either by prosthetics or CGI, but they are two separate characters.

What if Galen (a Jedi perhaps) has a Kaibur Crystal (maybe) and the Empire goes after his family and kidnap and hold Jyn as ransom and kill Jyn's mother. Then he builds them what they want and release her. He thinks she is dead for some reason. She has a life of crime as an orphan, maybe she thinks her father is dead as well, OR she hates her father for what he created.

I think Jyn was born sometime after the events of Episode III, he clearly looks like a Jedi who gave up being a Jedi after the purge, in order to keep his family safe he becomes a farmer of some sort, and stays low. The Empire locates him in that flashback scene.

Galen probably finds her in the film, gives her the plans himself, and dies protecting her while she escapes with K-2SO and Captain Cassian Andor.

8. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Lol, the only similarities between Mads and Max are that they're both from Scandinavia with names that start with "M". They look totally different.

No, Galen is a new character who will most likely die in this film. Nevertheless, he's one of the characters I'm looking most forward to see.

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I think that is largely going to be how it plays out (except for the Jedi part).

I'm surprised at how much of it we've seen and heard already.

10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Mads confirmed that he's a scientist and that he invented something "beautiful," so I doubt he's just in possession of a crystal.

11. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    that's why I stated perhaps and maybe. I find it strange that a scientist lives in such a remote place on some planet. Wouldn't he live somewhere like Coruscant? I mean what is he hiding from? The Empire, Vader, or Tarkin?

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

You find it strange that a scientist lives in a remote place? Depends on what they're studying. A lot of scientists I know (including some paleoclimatologists and glaciologists) live and work in some of the most remote places in the world...

It's not strange in the slightest.

13. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Also, it's not uncommon for scientists to move to remote places where they can work undisturbed from other people.

14. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    Yes I get THAT, but we are talking about a scientist that builds the Death Star, a scientist and an architect. There are different kinds of scientists you know. I guess when I see the film, it will make sense. Maybe he just chooses to live out his remaining days there with his family, who knows.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Right. There are plenty of architects/ engineers/ physicists/ whatever Galen's actual profession is, that have remote country homes. We'll see how it plays.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    It is sounding more like he built something else only to have it co-opted by the Empire. Like he built a generator that produced a lot of energy from little input, or something like that. He designed something that could have changed life for everyone for the better, but the empire used it in the Death Star instead.

17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    who builds the ds? we don't know galen does this. the geonosians were planning it in ep 2 for palps.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Right. My guess is that Galen invents a piece of technology that focuses energy like no other tech before it, and the Empire steals it from him and uses it to for the DS.

19. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    Well the death star was built prior to Revenge of the Sith, like others have stated, it has to be an very limited energy source that only needs a small amount of recharge time. He probably develops that for Director Krennic.

20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    mads said he develops something beautiful. meaning it serves a good purpose but it is taken and used for evil. he doesn't make it for the empire.

21. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    He plays the scientist who created a beautiful small thermal exhaust port- right below the main port.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

He doesn't work for the Empire, it seems. Looks like they stole his tech and/or forced him into their service.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    We don't know what they meant by "something beautiful." It's possible that something else he invented was beautiful or that he invented something that's beautiful in spite of it being for an evil purpose.

La Calavera likes this.
  24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Possible. But I doubt it.

25. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'm guessing that Galen just discovered that Kyber crystals can be harvested to produce energy, his discovery is twisted by the Empire to convert that energy into the Death Star laser.