main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Michael K. Williams NOT in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 3, 2017.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    "This deal's getting worse all the time."

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It sucks but this probably means he had a small role that was deemed unnecessary during reshoots. Cutting a major role would require rewrites and from everything we've heard LFL seems completely satisfied with the script.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Either that or they quietly recast him.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    So if we see somebody who's half human half animal we'll his role was recast.

6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    This is worse news than L&M being fired. I love this guy and was hugely looking forward to his role.

Personally, I think they should push the release date to December so they have more time to do reshoots, and don't end up with problems like this. Bring MK Williams back for reshoots in November!

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

They're not going to do that. One thing majors do now is lock up release dates for films even before they have a script.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Oh well..

9. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I know. And I'm not a big fan of the practice.

10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Well... crap. Omar ain't comin'.

Too bad.

I read somewhere that the practice developed because these days SO much ride on th opening weekend. Studios just cannot afford the narrative that a movie had a disappointing opening.... it can and does negatively affect box office. So everything is geared to have that huge opening for tentpole films. That takes a lot of planning and coordinating.

The reality is that its mainly blovkbusters people go to see. Look at Logan Lucky.... getting great reviews, people who see it seem to love it, but it tanked at the box office opening weekend and people are writing it off. Lots and lots of people are saying stuff like,"looks good... I'll catch it on Netflix."

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It can't have been that big a part for him to be written out, but it makes me interested to know what they didn't like about either his performance or the actors around him and even what the tone of the scenes he was in were like.

12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Right. But in that context, LFL has flexibility with SW films. They are inherently blockbusters, and will have great opening weekends. Almost inevitably. That frees up LFL to do what it has to do to make a great movie, and not worry about too rigid a schedule that might force a turkey out of the door.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It wasn't that they didn't like his performance. It was because the actor wasn't available for reshoots, and won't be available till November.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yes I read that too, but its interesting to know why they are changing it, was there something wrong in how he or the others played it that doesn't fit with the new version or is it a story change?

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Oh I hate it. But, it is what it is and wont change until or unless people stop going to see these massively big budgeted films, which they likely wont(this Summer could be an indication that is changing however).

16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I don't think it's up to the public to stop seeing those kinds of films. Rather, I think, it is up to studios to be a bit more flexible about release dates. Right now, for example, it would be a perfectly sound business and creative decision to move Han Solo to December. No good reason to hold firm on a May date. Particularly if it means losing a great actor, and a whole cache of footage.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Lord & Miller weren't following the script closely, so his scenes may have been heavily improvised, and needed to be brought back in line with the script.

18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Michael K. Williams on the character he temporarily played:
    He wore this beautiful white kimono, was very regal. He had class, money strength, charisma . . . and he knew how to fight. He was a warrior. He had a lot of prestige. If he lived in our world he would probably hang out with Jay Z and Beyoncé.

Who came to my mind when I read that was Cairon from The NeverEnding Story. And then I thought of Dolemite.

19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I wonder if the part was recast?

20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Apparently he was an alien, too. So the actor's face wouldn't have been seen, probably. Recasting would have been easier. However, I just think that the part wasn't very big to begin with and they just thought they could get rid of him and it wouldn't have an adverse effect on the film. At least that's what I'm hoping. If his part was quite large, then I don't know what to think. Makes me think this film has changed considerably, which I hope isn't the case.

21. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    If LFL are willing to cut Williams' part from the movie, the role itself can't have been that large. Maybe the equivalent of Lor San Tekka in TFA. That said, if they end up recasting the role I hope they cast another black actor in Williams' place.

22. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    How about conjoined Twi'lek twins played by RZA and GZA?
    Like this, but a lot different:
    Or Don Cheadle.

23. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
  24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Probably just an authorial mistake. May have been half-human, half-alien.

25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Have no idea who this actor is. Not a significant role, clearly, if they're cutting him entirely from the film. Oh well, carry on..