main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Paul Bettany (Dryden Vos) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , Feb 7, 2018.

1. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    So Michael Williams said there's a love triangle between Vos, Han and Qi'ra in his interviews. https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-mystery-of-michael-k-williams-former-solo-characte-1823586710

In Empire magazine Kasdan said he based Qi'ra on this femme fatale by Jane Greer in this movie: Out of the Past: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Past. TL; DR version - the femme fatale seduces a bunch of different men, plays them off against each other by acting as the victim and then ends up killing them all and running off with their money, but then gets shot by the police.

Based on that, my guess is that Qi'ra seduces both Vos and Han, makes both of them believe they're in a committed relationship with her while playing them off each other so they both distrust the other, and then ends up stabbing both of them in the back and taking off with the proceeds for herself, but ends up getting killed in the process (probably by Vos).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    ComfortablyNunb and GregMcP like this.
  2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    She's with the Rich guy. But she likes the hired help. Jealousy and rage ensues. A common plotline.

DARTH_BELO and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    [​IMG]

4. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Hmmmm... Absolutely, sorta, kinda perhaps.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    in the kessel description it' says luxurt for the elite, harsh poverty for everyone else. so.. do we think dryden is on kessel now?

6. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    It was a joke, of course. The 'Lost 20' bust is considerably larger.

GregMcP likes this.
  7. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    Ooh, 'Out of the past' is great! Perhaps it's because I love noir films, but i'm pretty fascinated by Qi'ra because she seems the boldest take on a female lead thus far in the new film canon and a far cry from the plucky heroine mould. Her being a manipulative, self-serving grifter is much, much more interesting than her being Han's tragic lost first love.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Luke'sSeveredHand and unicorn like this.
  8. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    I’m kind of curious if they actually have the guts to go full on villain with her, Star Wars has traditionally not done well with female villains (Phasma was basically a throw away). My guess is she’ll betray Han but for understandable reasons like Lando on Bespin, or that they might try to redeem her character by having her sacrifice herself to save Han at the end. Emilia Clarke did say Qi’ra is a role model to girls which makes me think they won’t go too far with her.

I think they realized that trying to do a plucky heroine like Leia or Jyn would come off as a pale imitation of Leia no matter how great the character is because of the inevitable comparisons that are going to be made between Han’s two loves. So by making her a femme fatale they avoid that comparison and it makes it clear that Qi’ra wasn’t the right woman for Han if she ends up betraying him because their relationship was always going to be seen in the light that we know it doesn’t work out.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Han needs a strong woman with moral fibre. Not a scoundrel.

unicorn likes this.
  10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Dryden is definitely attack Han in the latest tv spot.

Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah, my guess is this film is going to be like the reverse OT - we see Han go from naive hopeful hero with a heart of gold to the cynical selfish guy we meet in ANH, which means probably Beckett, Qi'ra and anyone he trusts and cares for are going to backstab him. This will contrast his later relationships with Luke, Leia and even Ben where he sees how good and selfless they are and it reveals his hidden heart of gold.

One of the themes in the old EU was how Han and Leia bring out the best in each other - Leia brings out Han's heart of gold and more responsible side, Han brings out Leia's ability to balance duty with her personal relationships and let go of her duties once in a while. I think we'll see Beckett and Qi'ra bringing out the worst in Han through their actions.

wobbits, Glitterstimm and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That's definitely what's going to happen. As Alden himself and some of the trailer dialogue confirms, Han is going to start off as an idealistic young firecracker. And unless he experiences zero character arc during the film, it'll end with Han as a bit more of a cynic.

11-4D, unicorn and wobbits like this.
  13. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Spoilers for Last Shot

Last Shot opens 2 years post Solo and Qi'ra really seems to have done a number on Han, he's spent 2 years getting drunk in cantinas heartbroken over her. It doesn't say exactly what happened of course, but it seems to point to a betrayal and death than just death, because he won't even say her name (I think if she'd just died tragically he'd be able to say her name). In the book he then eventually does move onto and start getting interested in Sana and seems to get over Qi'ra, but we know from the comics that doesn't end will either lol.

14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd actually prefer that Leia be the first woman he forms a relationship with that fits that bill.

wobbits and unicorn like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Me too. And it seems that's the case. Q'ira (and later, Sana) are scoundrels. They both let him down. Leia's righteous rebel senatorliness in A New Hope is a breath of fresh air for him.

Chewies_bandolier and unicorn like this.
  16. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Without Leia, he becomes DJ.
    Cynical, self serving.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is just one of the best Star Wars images I've seen since Disney bought Lucasfilm. I don't know what it is, but it's so incredibly Star Wars without feeling like an imitation.

[​IMG]

GregMcP and dekaneas like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Don't compare it to the actors in the foreground. Contrast it to the tiny... way off in the background... characters sitting next to it. It just may be it.

CrazyOldJedi and Mungo Baobab like this.
  19. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I wonder what the blue thing in this photo is, then?

[​IMG]

There was a Sith helmet in the Marvel Lando comic that looked broadly similar.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Now I get it....that thing Vos is slicing through in the trailer is an Easter Egg!! I think LFL are pulling our chains.

Bor Mullet and Mungo Baobab like this.
  21. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
    Actually, they could probably find a way to link Vos to Palpatine through this angle, as a fellow collector and procurer of antiquities, if they wanted to.

Edit:

Btw; is this new?

"Dryden Vos heads up an emerging criminal syndicate known as Crimson Dawn. This organization has quickly cemented a repulation for ruthlessness. This is true of its leader as well, though Vos is no crude cutthroat. He surrounds himself with luxury."

https://www.starwars.com/databank/dryden-vos

A quick Google search reveals that Crimson Dawn appears in Last Shot, but not much more than that.

"In the final round of bidding, a Crimson Dawn agent outbid the closest contenders—an unaffiliated Talz smuggler and some tall hooded fellas I presume had something to do with the Commerce Guild.”

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...UCc60KHTX0Aac4ChDoAQgmMAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Bossk_Baby and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  22. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    "...though Vos is no crude cutthroat."

That is until he tries to cut Han's throat.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The blue thing just looks like a blue skull to me.

24. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, could very well be.

Btw, is that the Grail from The Last Crusade, just beneath it? [face_thinking]

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Has the character got any basis from the character The Collector from drafts and treatments of earlier films?