main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Phil Lord and Chris Miller NOT directing Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by PymParticles , Apr 19, 2017.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    One source told SWNN that Ehrenreich 's performance of Solo is "oddly comparable to Jim Carrey’s performance in 'Ace Ventura' at times."

2. spectator

spectator Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 6, 2017

This is true, but on a set like the Millennium Falcon cockpit, they're most likely using either one or two cameras, not fifteen.

3. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    The hair says this is true.

[​IMG]

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  4. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Really curious to see if Bradford Young will be staying on as DP now that Ron Howard has taken over. He did a beautiful job on Arrival and A Most Violent Year, so I was pretty excited to see what he was going to do with Star Wars.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just read the THR report and definitely seems L/M were way in over their heads with this film. Sounds like they need to stick with strictly comedy centric film and movies with a little lower budget than your traditional blockbuster has.

In anycase I think the biggest issue may have been in hiring two directors instead of one. I would imagine if either Lord or Miller were working on their own they would have been more willing to compromise with Lucasfilm. When people work in tandems pack mentalities tend to start getting formed.

6. spectator

Mar 6, 2017

And yet they seem to have succeeded with their previous productions.

7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    And pretty much every single on of their other projects were within a different genre and much smaller scale. And my pack mentality comment mainly refers to how they would handle conflict.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It's not over yet:

June 28th: Lucasfilm unhappy with the sand on the set
    June 29th: Lucasfilm not entirely satisfied with the press comments
    June 30th: Lucasfilm not amused about the hairstyle of Chewie
    July 1st: Lucasfilm in sorrow because the Falcon lost in the Kessel run
    July 2nd: Lucasfilm unhappy because Jabba ate all the crews pizza on the set
    July 3rd: Lucasfilm not deeply profoundly satisfied because Greedo shot first
    July 4th: Lucasfilm pissed off by Roland Emmerich who lands an alien spaceship on the set on independence day.
    July 5th: Lucasfilm fires Howard because Emmerich did a way better job on July 4th
    July 6th: Lucasfilm in deep sorrow because Emmerich gives Howard a cameo as Howard the Duck
    July 7th: Lucasfilm unhappy with Emmerich because he fires Ehrenreich and hires Sigurney Weaver instead
    July 8th: Lucasfilm fires Emmerich because Sigourney Weaver breaks Chewies heart and forces him to smoke all the time
    July 9th: Lucasfilm unhappy about having only Tony Gilroy left to take over.
    July 10th: Lucasfilm not entirely satisfied with Gilroy because he inserts a Darth Vader Falcon invasion massacre scene
    July 11th: Lucasfilm completely disappointed from Tony Gilroy and decides to send a second director to the Han Solo set
    July 12th: Lucasfilm worried because Gareth Edwards did not show up yet
    July 13th: Lucasfilm in deep trouble because they forgot that D23 starts tomorrow
    July 14th: Lucasfilm shaken because Sigourney Weaver shows up on the D23 being introduced as Hana Solo. She tells them Chewie died on lung cancer and James Cameron will replace him
    July 15th: Lucasfilm in total panic releasing the wrong reel for the Last Jedi trailer. Luke appears on screen and says "Rey! I am your father!!!"
    July 16th: Lucasfilm now in total chaos because KK had a Iger both had a heart attack
    July 17th: Lucasfilm is sold to Lord & Miller
    July 18th: Lucasfilm announces to fire all actors and to produce all future films with Lego figures
    July 19th: Lucasfilm declares bancruptcy

Sad.

9. spectator

Mar 6, 2017
    Ok. I'm not sure what that has to do with their being two directors, rather than one. The same could be said of Rian Johnson.

And we don't know, do we? All we know is that pretty much everything else they've touched has turned to gold. There may have been issues on those sets... or maybe not. They may have developed a "pack mentality" on those sets because they're two people instead of one... or maybe not.

10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That doesn't have anything to do with them being two directors. It does indicate though that L/M may have a very limited scope for the types of movies they are good at developing. Johnson has proven to be diverse so far in both the types of films he has made and the budgets he has worked with.

11. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Are you suggesting that a professional of the highest order such as Kathleen Kennedy fired L&M for reasons other than they failed to deliver the movie they should have been delivering? Or that veteran producers wanting the director(s) they hired to stick close to the approved script is an "unreasonable expectation?" Because it's not. Are you suggesting Kennedy should have given L&M even longer into production for things to work things out? Maybe she should have waited till post? Um, no.

L&M are very talented, and seem like nice guys, but there's no indication from them or LFL or any leaks at all, that they were fired for unfair reasons. It's the producers not liking their work methods and the footage they were getting. It's directors not listening to how their bosses want the film to go. So that's the end of it. Gareth Edwards played ball, and I commend him for that. Filmmaking is highly collaborative, especially on this scale, and that is not a bad thing. But L&M didn't understand that, apparently, so that's it. They are done. This isn't a pastiche or parody film like 21 Jump Street or Lego Movie (movies I love). It's Star Wars. Also, this is Show Business. Not Show Friends. Kennedy gave L&M time to come around and change what they were doing, and they simply didn't want to. As a character and because of what Harrison Ford and George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan have done with him, Han Solo deserves to be protected, even if it means making these hard decisions to do it. I applaud Kennedy for making this hard decision.

12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Kennedy allegedly complained that L&M were using a small number of camera arrays/ set-ups, which was leading to a minimal amount of angles for each sequence filmed (and overall, not a lot of material). In order to have 15 different set-ups (for different angles), rather than, say, 3 (which was allegedly how many L&M were generally using) you need...a lot more cameras.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Most of the time* the number of setups have absolutely nothing to do with the number of cameras used. In this case, I think it's pretty clear that the number of cameras had nothing to do with it, rather it was about them not working fast enough. Some filmmakers could easily shoot fifteen setups with one camera in a day (depending on the scene(s) of course), while others would work much slower, and maybe finish three or four setups with multiple cameras.
    As a filmmaker, I average around twenty setups a day - with one camera. Obviously though, my productions aren't as complex as a major blockbuster would be.

*It depends on the scene. More than two, or possibly three, cameras are almost never used simultaneously, except for scenes involving stunts and/or special effects/pyrotechnics, where the amount of takes you can do is limited.

14. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Thank you TCF-1138 for bringing some sanity and real production experience to this discussion.

solo77, Gigoran Monk and TCF-1138 like this.
  15. spectator

Mar 6, 2017

What I'm suggesting is that the kind of details being argued here are very difficult for anyone other than the directly involved parties to really know (and they clearly aren't agreeing on them amongst each other, anyway). Both parties are respected professionals with substantial careers and both parties have interests (financial and otherwise) in the public perception of the fallout of this split. What I'm really trying to suggest is that we just don't have enough information to credibly define or assign blame in this matter and we possibly never will. It's the kind of thing that stands or falls on the record of private conversations between people that you and I have never met.

16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Also, regardless of the number of cameras you have pointing at the subject, it's still considered to be a single setup. Setup refers not just to the camera placement, but everything else behind it (eg, lights, tracks, objects that will enter frame during the take etc.).

(setup and camera arrays aren't the same thing).

Gigoran Monk and Artoo-Dion like this.
  17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

How Exactly are Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and 21 Jump street gold? I mean I know Its all subjective really, But I wouldn't call them great movies or Gold. There best being The Lego Movie. So two Directors with one comedy cartoon hit and were going to side with these two directors over one of the best Hollywood Producers and Executives Kathleen Kennedy and a Script Writer and Film Director who wrote the scripts for Arguably two of the best films of all time Empire Strikes Back and Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark?

Darth Downunder likes this.
  18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Thanks TCF. That makes sense. I read the article as referring to camera arrays, but looking back, I see I conflated arrays with setups.

And, of course, I don't really know what I'm talking about. :)

19. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm suggesting that to even say we don't even enough evidence or even raising the question of needing evidence in order to assign "blame" in this situation is to call into question Kennedy, Kasdan, the entire LFL filmmaking apparatus as well as generations of filmmaking process and responsibility in order to give L&M some kind of benefit of the doubt or to be digging for "real scoop" or an alternate story where there is no evidence such exists. If you take the words of both parties and the reports that have been published by credible sources, it's a pretty easy situation to read. Is it unfortunate? Yes. Are L&M bad people? No. Are there any details we don't know? Sure. Could those details change the overall point that L&M didn't deliver what LFL expected and how they expected and were therefore fired justifiably for not doing so? Highly doubtful.

21. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would not be at all surprised if at some point coming up they will announce that this film will be delayed. This is quite the hubbub.

23. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    ¡Ándale, Han-delay!

Xinau likes this.
  24. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    huh? did you even read the post you were responding to?

It's speculation in any case. No one here is claiming to be omniscient and know exactly what happened with everyone involved.

25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    So this week, the latest Hollywood Reporter story has more on the decision to fire the directors with this odd errata :

In the first couple of days after the initial announcement, I read a comment written by someone in an English paper (which I thought was the Guardian, but I am mistaken - with somewhat harsh statements about the morale of the cast and crew and the same observation that eveyrone broke out in applause when it was announced that the two had left and that a new director would be arriving soon. At the time I read this commentary (and it seemed to come from someone who had worked on the film from the tone), I dismissed it as being possibly fake but in view of the above, and especially in view of the correction (assuming that the earlier version of the article had the crew as being a tad more jovial about the dismissal as opposed to sombre), I have to assume that what the crew member had commented on was true.
    I will keep searching for that commentary .. it's driving me crazy.

And for the record, I feel a LOT better knowing that KK will not allow IX to go the way of "The Book of Henry" ...