main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Phil Lord and Chris Miller NOT directing Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by PymParticles , Apr 19, 2017.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Although J.J. Abrams, Rian Johnson, Colin Trevorrow, Gareth Edwards, and even the eventually dropped Josh Trank have their own threads, I've noticed there isn't a dedicated thread for the men sitting behind the camera of the (still untitled but I'm going to look stupid if they announce it in the morning) Han Solo movie: Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Their previous work includes two animated films, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and The Lego Movie, two live-action films, 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street, and the animated cult TV series Clone High (no, it's not filled with Jango Fetts). Discuss their past work, what it might mean for the direction of this film, what you think Kennedy saw in them that made her think they were the right choice for this movie, and what you think/hope they're going to bring to the Star Wars universe.

If nothing else, they've at least directed the main characters before.
    [​IMG]

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    All 4 movies they have done I haven't seen, except I think CWACOM, ugh... lol

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They're the sole reason I have no worries about this film. If they can make two 21 Jump Street movies not only work but absolutely hilarious then I think they'll handle Han Solo just fine.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I never realized we didn't have a thread for them. Good catch PymParticles!

5. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The one thing I've noticed about their work is that it's highly subversive. People always talk about how they've made a career by "taking bad ideas and turning them into good movies," but what gets talked about less often is why. Other than the fact that they're exceptional storytellers, their films also address head-on the fact that they're the product of inherently bad ideas. 21 Jump Street provides meta-commentary on the idea of remaking an old TV show into a movie. 22 Jump Street tackles the idea that sequels, particularly to comedy films, are unnecessary, almost always inferior, and after diminishing returns set in jump the shark by relying on more and more outlandish concepts (the end credits). The LEGO Movie addresses the inherent corporatism of making a movie based off of a plotless toyline, providing commentary on how corporations have their hands in nearly every aspect of our lives, while also telling a touching story about imagination and play as a unifying human trait.

So that got me thinking about how they'd handle a young Han Solo film, a spin-off/prequel almost nobody wanted and actively spoke against. They have to know going in that people have very valid doubts and concerns about 1) recasting two of the most iconic characters in movie history, and 2) revealing their backstory, when much of what made them interesting was the implied backstory spoken of in vague terms, alluding to events that we never see or receive elaboration on. Lord and Miller are smart filmmakers, they understand our concerns, and I have to assume they're going to be addressed in some way. The boring way would be to avoid all of them; no Kessel run, don't show how character A met character B, don't show the vest, don't give them overly complicated backstories, etc. The clever way would be to jump into all of these things headlong, and use out fears of over-explanation to craft an interesting story. Basically, to intentionally build an entire film out of needless and unwanted fan service, but handled in a clever and subversive way. Provide the expected, but in a way that's unexpected.

I'm not nearly as clever as Lord/Miller are, but god knows how much I'd go for this movie if their approach was to split different segments into chapters, which might be a convenient way to divvy up the story since it spans six years of Han's life, from 19-24. "1. When Han met Chewbacca" "2. The Kessel Run" "3. Han's New Vest." Each segments would either deal with the subject matter in a quick and casual way (Han buys the vest in a store, walks out, next segment), or it's completely incidental to the otherwise unrelated story of the segment/whole. Obviously I'm sure Lord/Miller will come up with something better and smarter than that, but I'd be absolutely shocked if this film isn't in some way a commentary on exactly the kind of movie it is and the (negative) expectations that come with that.

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    They are exceptional filmmakers and I was rallying from day one for them to be given a spin-off. I have to be honest, though, the idea of a Han Solo origin film on its own merit doesn't really fill me with excitement. It is them that makes me excited for it. I want a Lord and Miller film that just so happens to take place in the SW galaxy. That alien that was seen on the set confirms, to me, that that is what we are going to get. That alien looked pure Lord and Miller to me, not unlike something you would see in Men in Black. I remember a few years ago they were supposedly circling a He-Man film. That would have been something to see.

7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    *Lego Movie Spoilers*
    The main villain of The Lego Movie is a grown man, a dad, who collects child's toys and takes them entirely too seriously.

I have no idea how that could apply to Star Wars.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like anyone I know. [face_whistling]

9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
  10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    So much this. Man, I will declare this film the best SW film of all time if they include a chapter "How Han got his vest" and it's a 20-second clip of him walking into a store and buying it. What you've described above is exactly the kind of film Lord and Miller should make.

11. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    21 Jump Street, while not the greatest thing I've ever seen... was pretty entertaining and far better than it had any business being.

The Lego movie was awesome.... you have no idea how much better a movie like that makes your life when you have small children and don't want to have Frozen in the background for the 15423rd time (and I like Frozen :))

12. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Yeah. Me neither. Better late than never. I think the Han Solo movie is in good hands.

13. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    My only worry is, Will they be able to pull off as good a film with the 'meta-humor' pulled out of their tool box?
    The conversations about how sequels are bad made 22JS for me. And I crack up every time I see Will Ferral cut his eyes at the wiggling Emmet lego man. But I don't know if I want Han or Chewie or Lando going Ferris Bueller and talking to me, or making joke about an audience watching them in a galaxy far far away.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  14. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I think a major factor in favour of this movie is that it's being written by Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote TESB, ROTJ and TFA, and is generally acknowledged to write the best Han Solo. It also seems to be the case that Lucas himself initially got the Han Solo Movie ball rolling. Of the numerous criticisms voiced over the PT, the only one you never hear is that they has not plot, infact the prevailing view of those movies tends to be "a good idea, poorly executed". So at least this movie will probably have some compelling ideas to explore, if nothing else. Moreover with Kennedy at the helm of Lucasfilm, most of the weirder Lucasisms (Ewoks, Gungun's) that tend to generate a mixed reaction from audiences will be weeded out in pre-production, While the cooler Lucasisms (think awesome villans, Podracing) will be there.
    As you can tell, I'm in agreement with the MSW people on this.:p

Also:http://makingstarwars.net/2017/05/l...oncepts-confirm-canary-islands-location-name/
    And speaking of Podracing...
    [​IMG]

fishtailsam and Gigoran Monk like this.
  15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Pod racers were the Endor speeder bikes hyped up.
    I'll be very happy with a speeder bike chase.

16. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I keep forgetting Kasdan wrote it.

I'm good then.

Gigoran Monk and Mostly Handless like this.
  17. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  18. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I would imagine this is going to be delayed now. I'm assuming directing isn't like sports where they have an interim director to keep things going on.

Wow. This is pretty shocking seeing as they've been filming for two months.

19. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    ZY-Fighter, Helrot and ewoksimon like this.
  20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    This is crazy. Lord and Miller had been working on this for at least a couple of years, and to pull out halfway through production is pretty shocking.

DaddlerTheDalek, jaqen and B99 like this.
  22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Hopefully this doesn't cause a delay.

23. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    3 more weeks left of filming according to the Hollywood Reporter.

24. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    I'm almost hoping it does, if it means they aren't rushing to fix whatever caused Lord and Miller's departure.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    What the hell, LFL! Trevorrow... is it that hard to remember? You fired the wrong directors!