main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Phoebe Waller-Bridge (L3-37) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    The only people that seem to like L3 seem to be from the CTRL-Left.

Theo333 likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh really? I've seen no evidence showing it is appealing to one sector of the ideological spectrum over the other. And if it was raising eyebrows among the right of center, why would that be? She's annoying and not alone in that regard among SW droids. 3PO is annoying as well. It's a part of their character and they are depicted as being so in the films. Lando even raises his eyebrows at her on more than one occasion.

I think people are searching for things to be outraged at.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah and frankly is saying that droid rights are the opposite of your own viewpoint, really a hill you wanna die on? Like it comes off as a confirmation of one's own personal shortsightedness to refute the the message. Honestly I want SW to lean into this idea more than ever. It makes sense after all. Heck the canon has foreshadowed it since the start, and legends called out the mistreatment of droids a bit, as did the OT frankly. This is a logical step

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Indeed it is. The coming of AI will make this entire idea more relevant than ever.

vncredleader likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Being from “CTRL-left” does not diminish the value of one’s opinion at all. I have no problem with the label.

Being from the alt-right, on the other hand—believing that white heterosexual males (and in this case, humans) are somehow superior to women, LGBTQ people and people of color (and apparently, droids) and/or deserve more rights and more respect—those are the people whose opinions should never be taken seriously. The people who whine about feminists, BLM, “identity politics,” “SJWs,” “agendas” (code for “how dare white straight human men no longer be treated as the default heroes and superior characters!”) and claim to be “red pilled”.

I’m sure there are people who just find L3 annoying but when the reasoning is code for “how dare she be independent and argue for droid rights!”...the accusations of an “agenda” come from an alt-right agenda of its own.

6. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Fantastically put!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    There's been a lot of complaining about politics being brought into SW, but it seems to be the people who are doing the complaining who are most responsible for that. Can people not just like a character because they think the character is funny, or they like their attitude? No, of course, it has to be political.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I loved when he freed the droid and "you're free now. Scooch".

9. Blue 5

Jan 6, 2017
    That's very racist and vile. Disgusting. Feel shame.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL—thinking that women and people of color and LGBTQ people are equal to white heterosexual men is “racist and vile”? Really? [face_laugh]

Not one ounce of shame. I would certainly be ashamed if I felt that women, people of color and LGBTQ people were not equal to white heterosexual men.

But by all means carry on with the idea that white heterosexual men are superior to everyone else. You will find yourself caught up in our hate speech policy sooner rather than later.

11. Blue 5

Jan 6, 2017
    Your vile hate of straight white men is a travesty and a disgrace.

Only bigoted racists judge people and make prejudicial assumptions based off of race, gender and sexual orientation. DISGUSTING. The fact anyone would then defend such a stance only shows your abhorrent bigotry.

Sad!

JarJar Fan likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m sorry (not) that you view a refusal to acknowledge your perceived superiority of straight white men above women, LGBTQ people and people of color as “hatred.”

Equality is not “hatred,” quite the opposite. It only feels like hatred for those who demand to be viewed as superior.

If your point is that all straight white men are alt-right, or that insulting the alt-right is insulting straight white men—all I can say to you is, don’t insult straight white men that way. The majority of them are not in the least bit alt-right, and would (rightfully) be highly offended at the idea that the alt-right represents them.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, since everything you've just posted is an off topic, baiting, strawman, and personal attack, we're going to remove you from the burden of continuing.

Sad!

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  15. Lord Keaveney

Lord Keaveney Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2018
    The thing about L3 is I'm not sure if she's supposed to be a positive figure that is accidentally annoying for being too on the nose or a deliberate parody that's meant to just be disliked.

She's clearly written to be obnoxious to an extent (either way) but she comes across to me more of a mockery of her "activist" stance than a sincere endorsement. RedLetterMedia talked about this in their review. They feel she may very well be a stealth parody that slipped under the radar.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think she is intended to be obnoxious—but still correct, just a bit over-the-top about it. So a bit of both—a positive figure and a parody.

17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    You didn't have to add the "sad" but you did, and we love ya for it. [:D]

18. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Has anyone else said she sounds exactly like Captain Phasma?

avcpl and vncredleader like this.
  19. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah that seems to be a thing that a lot of people felt. I concur, while I got used to her voice in particular, there was a moment or two when I thought I was hearing god ole Bucket-head

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I thought that too, a couple of times.

21. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    After all the hate she got I was surprised at how much I enjoyed her.

vncredleader likes this.
  22. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I didn't think she was obnoxious to the point of annoyance. There's only maybe 1-2 scenes where she even does her whole "Free droids!" rants - the scene we meet her and the scene where she causes the uprising on Kessel. She also has the one-liner to Lando which he eye-rolls at as it's clearly meant to be comedic.

I mean.. I don't even think we're meant to take her seriously at all? It's not like she has some big rant that can be taken as a parallel to slaves or something in our actual society where you could argue she was a metaphor for something in the real world, she's just a ridiculous trope. In a good way.

23. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    None of this is new in Star Wars. When the droids weren't allowed in the cantina, it was to be perceived as a "futuristic" Star Wars take on the segregation our society knew in the then-recent past. Cars don't have wheels and they float. Swords are energy beams. Robots, instead of people, can't get served in bars. We're just all so much more sensitive about it now and it all gets labeled as "political." If the first movie were released now, lines like "avoid anymore female advice" or Luke telling Leia to simply "hold this" blaster would be written about negatively by someone.

Xander Vos likes this.
  24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    One of the coolest things was we got a satisfying "happy" ending that didn't involve lots of things or large things getting blown up. That was refreshing.

But I enjoyed the whole movie. Cut the scene of Han getting the name Solo, and give Lady Proxima an alien voice and subtitles and I'd give this movie an A. Still a B+ in my book.

I liked it more the second time around.

25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    L3 was kinda annoying but funny. She wasn't bland and I reather like it.

vncredleader likes this.