main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Riz Ahmed (Bodhi Rook) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Lurknomore, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    "Indian tech guy" seems to be wrong in at least two ways.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    How so? We've had the "Indian" debate so no need to clarify on that, but they refer to his "technical expertise," so it very much sounds like he is the tech guy.

3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's in the context of his skills as the lead pilot. IOW, his defining characteristic is his piloting skills. I mean, Anakin was good at "fixing things" too.

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Right. And, of course, the actor is not Indian...

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  5. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    **Bohdi Rook, played by Riz Ahmed, is the lead pilot of this Rebel squad. "...he tends to be a little tense," said Kennedy, "a little volatile, but everybody in the group really relies on his technical skills." **
    ^via EW
    seems like you're both right. Lead Pilot and has technical skills. semantics i suppose when it comes to what 'technical' refers to in the GFFA. probably a host of things (not too dissimilar to Earth).
    odd choice of words for describing him, if any of you have seen Nightcrawler, his character in that is basically the exact opposite being described here (in reference to 'volatile, tense') so its hard to imagine this actor play that type of character (out of prior judgement i suppose).
    either way, this character may be more important to the team than first thought

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    So this character is going to be the lead pilot eh, wicked! Always great to have more pilots.

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

Aren't they all pilots though? With their own X-Wings? Although Chirrut would have to be super-spiritual to fly his....

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No, they are not an X-wing squadron.

9. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah, I don't expect them all to be pilots, it's a mission to steal the Death Star plans, they'll be a mix of commandos and pilots.

10. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

LOL, I know that :D

Seems to me that Rook will be flying the U-Wing with one of the others as co-pilot. I'm guessing the little alien dude with the flight suit on.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Cool... and yeah, I don't want to ride on a ship being piloted by Chirrut. :p

12. TJSolo

TJSolo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2014
    I'm just going to throw this out there....this is Rey's Dad.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And, Plagueis.

Artoo-Dion and weezer like this.
  14. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    How dare they cast a non-Indian for an "Indian Tech Guy" character role! This is an outrage! wait, are we talking about Native American Indians? or India Indians In Indiana? Or Mexican Indians? Or the baseball team the Indians? I'm sure they have PR people that nod yes or no before they make decisions that would be teetering on the edge of racial stereotyping.:rolleyes: I don't see any of their casting choices to be any of the above.

15. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
  16. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    If you're going to complain about stereotypes, at least get the actors nationality correct. :rolleyes:

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Newsflash: an actor of another nationality can still play a stereotypical role. Example: blackface

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    If they give him an Indian accent in the film, you'll have a point. But until we hear him speak, and see what he actually does in the film, we can say nothing about whether or not he plays a stereotype. Indeed, we already know that he's the pilot of the group, which is not an Indian stereotype. So your case is not currently very strong.

19. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    JediAce1 "If you're going to complain about stereotypes, at least get the actors nationality correct."

Yep, he's British for goodness sake.

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong but claiming that a stereotypical character can only be played by the same nationality as the stereotype is stupid. There are countless examples in history that prove otherwise. Riz Ahmed definitely would have the looks for an indian tech guy.

21. rg1fan123

rg1fan123 Jedi Padawan

Feb 8, 2016
    Sounds like you are the one stereotyping this character.

El_Machete12 and thejeditraitor like this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I just saw Riz in the new HBO show, "The Night Of" and was really impressed with his acting. Looking forward to seeing him in Rogue One.

Deerborne and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Was just going to be post about this. He's fantastic in the episode. Very excited to see him in Rogue One now.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really love that each member of the group seems to have their own reason for fighting the Empire. I find Bodhi's to be particularly interesting with the him serving the Empire while it occupies his planet. Reminds me of a character from Lost Stars.

Artoo-Dion , Revanfan1 and starfish like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    :( I haven't seen him in anything.