main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Riz Ahmed (Bodhi Rook) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Lurknomore, Apr 23, 2015.

1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  2. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016

At about the 1:30 mark, there's a new-ish clip from the film.

gizka likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well now we know it's not an Imperial base they're approaching. So I guess this is unsanctioned mission they're going on for the Rebels. Interesting!

KembaSkywalker and Toddy like this.
  4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Oooohhh...
    Thanks for putting that together for me. Even after watching it I was wondering why the imperials were already asking for a call sign if they're just taking off from Yavin.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, it makes a lot more sense to be honest. If you're trying to get past Imperial defenses calling yourself Rogue One probably isn't the best idea.

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    It does make a lot more sense. If you could just make it up on the fly Han and Co. wouldn't have needed to worry about their "older codes" they could have just gone "uh..Jedi and Princess"

Revanfan1, Toddy and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    "If you are really doing this, I want to help" and "We'll need a team" all appear to fit now. Cassian obviously secretly recruits some of the more hardened rebel troops from the ranks for the team.

8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    pretty cool to see.:D
    more at the link.
    http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/12/riz-ahmed-talks-rogue-one-defends-star.html

9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Well. Bodhi was a very different character than I thought he would be.

10. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Ditto.

11. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Bodhi really got the short straw didn't he?

I think the mind reading blob scene was utterly useless, I mean Saw still didn't believe his story after that mind reading thing because he's questioning Jyn as if it's all a ruse?

Doesn't make much sense?

nightangel and Swashbucklingjedi like this.
  12. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I didn't get the point of that scene either- and Bodhi didn't even became mad as he was supposed to... If the point was to show that Saw doesn't trust anyone and is willing to torture people point would've been proven differently. Why there was that scene while so many good scenes were deleted is beyond me.

nightangel likes this.
  13. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Although his screentime dwindled toward the end I thouht his guy was probably the best acted character in the film. Mikkelsen was probably the most natural, but this guy stood out.

Unkar's Muffins and sharasbeys like this.
  14. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Was the guy brainwashed? Did the octopus do it?
    I think so but it wasn't clear. Felt bad for him.

15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  16. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Bodhi suprised me the most to be honest - I had the preconception (from an earlier interview I think), that the character was going to be the back up comedy relief - "reluctant hero" character instead, in the Jedha scenes, I found him to be uncomfortably close to what we see in certain parts of the world today (the bag over the head, the torture, the incendiary devices) and I was genuinely moved by his quiet gravitas. He obviously has a very deep connection to Galen, given his last words.

Sarge, 11-4D and Gigoran Monk like this.
  17. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] he's so funny [face_laugh]

18. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    So "Local Boy" means .. he's from Jedha, right? Which would in turn make his discomfort wtih the strip mining of the Kyber from the temples and caves make sense, as well as giving him a bit more impetus for defecting.

19. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
  20. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Saw's gone crazy. He's clearly on the Colonel Kurtz path. Paranoid, unnecessarily cruel, tired of fighting, at the end of his rope, perhaps drugged, wildly and almost pathetically philosophical. And hardline. Saw doesn't believe Bodhi's story because he can't believe that an Imperial has a conscience. He doesn't want to believe it. In that context, I absolutely loved the blob scene, and found it terrifying. Reminded me of a mind-reading version of the Navigator from Dune (below). The whole sequence was a mashup between Jabba's Palace and Apocalypse Now, and I think it'll go down as a fan favorite in the future. A more than worthy successor to the cantina scene.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Bodhi is definitely one of the most unconventional Star Wars characters. I was pretty jarred by his introduction. I can't remember exactly why, but something about it was very disturbing. One of my favorite moments of the entire movie was Bodhi's "This is for you Galen." It was sincere and added a lot to him.

Jedi Jessy, 11-4D and Gigoran Monk like this.
  22. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002

It seemed like if you combine Saw's scenes and experience with Cassian's, it gives you the impression that the Rebels were desperate and basically almost going mad. Saw was on the "extreme" side of the rebels. I think his use of the blobby and willingness to torture was just an example of how far he was willing to go, and still feeling paranoid about lies and deceptions, anyway. He had nearly gone mad.

I thought Riz Ahmed did really great with his character. It was an unexpected type of personality. He was visibly nervous, he was defensive, quirky. Cool characterization. Way to go, Riz!

Gigoran Monk and Iron_lord like this.
  23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Riz Ahmed's performance is my favorite among the humans of the core Rogue One crew, and I might prefer him over Finn as far as Imperial defectors go.

24. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Can we give it up for Bodhi? Without him, Rogue One would have been a complete failure. What a hero.

25. BucMan-55

BucMan-55 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2004

That's the best part of R1. Many of the characters had their moment to shine and say their particular action made the difference. Riz did a super job with this character.

About the Mind monster: Perhaps the losing of the mind stems from the state of nothingness it leaves you in. If you just sit in the cell afterwards with no interaction you can lose yourself like what Saw described. It seems Cassian snapped Bhodi out of it so the effects weren't long term.