main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Enter the Episode IX Treatment Contest! Details here!

3. A Rule For Everyone To See:

The New Films staff strive to create a fun and welcoming environment for all users. This forum is a place for discussing the films, which means that you think the films are worth discussing. Constructive criticism (as deemed by the moderating staff) is welcome and encouraged. Bashing of any kind will not be tolerated anywhere outside The Sanctuary thread. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Rogue One [Official Info] Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Anthology (Released Films)' started by boomx2sjk, Mar 12, 2015.

1. EHT

EHT New Films Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Sep 13, 2007
    I know starocean90 posted another video in this Behind the Magic series, but I don't think this one has been posted yet.

And this one too:

2. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    This month's issue of the Star Wars Insider:

[​IMG]

Son of a Bith likes this.
  3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    speaking of star wars insider anyone know when the Blade Squadron: Jakku issue is supposed to be released?

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I Dont know, but i love that cover art!!

5. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Co-Purveyor of ST Trivia star 4 VIP - Game Host

Feb 20, 2016
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Four Time PT Trivia Champ/GOAT/New Films Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I like the ending we got much better. It's much more powerful.

7. BenYodaDagobah

Feb 20, 2016
    Yup, same here.

Ricardo Funes and B99 like this.
  8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah, don't like the idea of them surviving..

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  9. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Well, not surprise to know that they would survive, i am crazy now to see a alternative version of the movie in the future.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Plus, I think it makes more sense for them to be dead by the time of ANH.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion New Films Jedi star 6 Staff Member Manager

Jun 9, 2009
    Keep in mind that the ending where they survive was never filmed.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Force Ghost star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Or maybe it was, but it was destroyed by the Death Star when it attacked Scarif. :p

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I think the ending we got was more powerful and the right way to go, but anyone who survived RO could have been off doing other things during the OT.

14. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Had they survived, I have no doubt that the Alliance would have brought them back for the important missions in Return of the Jedi. Why risk Luke or Leia in rescuing Solo when both Jyn and Cassian have experience in infiltration and extraction? Given Jyn's prior criminal activity, she might even have contacts in the Tatooine underworld that would help with their infiltration. I think a more plausible alternative was that they were captured for interrogation, and remained imprisoned through the O.T.

The only thing in the alternate ending I liked was the fact that the plans were transmitted to the Tantive IV, tying in nicely with Vader's accustation (in an early draft of A New Hope) that "transmissions were beamed to this ship by spies, who are now unfortunately dead." Leia's ship was not tethered to the Profundity but lurking in the edge of the system.

15. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Random thought, but the new visual dictionaries are canon, right? I just read through the one for Rogue One, and it uses a lot of Legends materials, names and classifications, including mentioning the ANH temples as belonging to the Massassi civilization, the Z-95 and the designation between the Imperial-I and Imperial-II class Star Destroyers, which I believed had been an EU-only until now.

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion New Films Jedi star 6 Staff Member Manager

Jun 9, 2009
    Pablo and the Story Group seem to be using the EU reboot to follow the template of TCW: integrate the material from Legends into the larger fabric wherever appropriate.

Revanfan1, Ricardo Funes and CT1138 like this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Now they are back in canon since mentioned in the official Visual Dictionary. Everything mentioned in the new books is canon.

CT1138 likes this.
  18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Seems like every story decision made was a solid one. Jyn and Cassian surviving, and Jyn's mom being a Jedi, would have both led to a weaker film with a much more limp thematic resonance.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Malleus Maleficarum star 8 Staff Member Manager

Aug 19, 2003
    Jyn's mom being a Jedi... and then running out to histrionically commit suicide... would have been an atrocity. "That boy is our last hope" "No. There is another". "No, there was another but she unreasonably ran out in front of some blaster fire". "That boy is our last hope".

20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    [​IMG] Leia, Gareth is trying to seduce your frozen boyfriend!

Gigoran Monk and Ricardo Funes like this.
  21. starocean90

starocean90 Force Ghost star 7

Feb 19, 2014
  22. BenYodaDagobah

Feb 20, 2016
  23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  24. BenYodaDagobah

Feb 20, 2016
    Ha. I'm watching that video right now and was just about to post it. It's really good.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  25. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014