main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Ron Howard to Finish Han Solo film

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 22, 2017.

1. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    His programming on National Geographic and History channels are also excellent, IMO

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is a decent, safer end choice, which I'm fine with. Howard is a solid director and at this point in time, you don't hire someone whose personal vision could butt beads again and lead to an even messier film. You need someone who am utmost professional who can take the direction, "We need the film done, we need it done on time, we need it done like this, and we need it done well" and go. I'm curious how much of Lord & Miller's work will remain, though. To my knowledge, in order for Howard to be credited as director and Lord & Miller to not be, 51% of the footage has to be shot by him. I wonder if the reshoots will be that significant.

My ridiculously high level of excitement for this movie has turned into extreme curiosity at how this is even going to turn out, but we'll see. They could still very well make a good film out of this, maybe even a great one if the script is as fantastic as we keep hearing. I doubt it'll be a dumpster fire; at worst it will be merely "olay," which would fine, but disappointing nonetheless.

3. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

"Careful Ron, that your personal vision does not interfere with orders from Kathleen Kennedy." :p

4. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Ron knows what he's doing. I am OK with this development. :cool:

5. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    When it comes to choosing who could have taken over having Ron taking over makes sense.

He's well established and a name that people know and would be interested in seeing what he would bring to a Star Wars film (although I had admitedly never considered him before until this).

He's a friend of Lucas having worked with him as far back as American Graffitti and then Willow and worked with Kasdan and Kennedy so they already have a working relationship and friendship that would be easier to establish then new younger guys who as much as they want to put their stamp on it and yeah you can allow for that sometimes they get caught up on putting too much of themselves in the film without keeping to the rules of what they are working with to some degree.

Basically there's only so much you can do before you start to make something that doesn't fit the tone of this universe and this improvisation fast comedy maybe could work in small doses and certainly for their own films but for it to frequently take over in place of the script and story then there's an issue there especially since it might not fit and feel for lack of a better term alienating to this world. I know someone who said the comedy in TFA felt like that at times and was out of place in moments but I didn't entirely have a problem because they kept it in small doses and kept to the script most of the time. You're working with a studio and there will be compromises and while we often blame studios for coming in and making problems sometimes that has to be done. You can't let them go too far in and destroy everything but at the same time they are the ones who will be distributing this product and they and the director will need to operate on the same page for the most part.

When it came to the other choices Kasdan as much as it would have made sense to me given he was there and was the one being the most vocal about these issues and being there already he doesn't have to be caught up to speed with what's been going on but Ron has been around long enough he'll catch on quick but people have said the DGA might have prevented that so it's understanding why he couldn't take over.

Joe Johnston again would have made sense for the same reasons as Ron but he's recently been hired to do the next Narnia so that could have meant delaying that film again which I imagine they wouldn't have wanted.

Now it's just a matter of how much the changes will be noticeable? Some movies have hid it so well to where you didn't think that they were either helmed by two different people or there were obvious changes later in the film.

With Rogue One I knew about the changes and while you can see it once you know about it they still don't entirely distract you at least they didn't for me. Compared to something like Suicide Squad where the changes were pretty clear to anyone who didn't even read up on the internet and for Batman VS. Superman too. I guess we'll have to wait and see in regards to Justice League.

Even Marvel at times has suffered this with Thor the Dark World looking like they cleary cut some stuff and they've been open about that and also Age of Ultron fighting to keep the Hawkeye family farm scenes so they had to cut down Thor searching for the truth about the Infinity Stones.

And that's just the MCU. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 also suffered from cutting stuff down and over marketing. And I'm sure everyone is aware of the Fan4stic debacle with previous let go Anthology director Josh Trank but if you're not just read up because that's hard to cut down in terms of explaining what went wrong.

So it'll all depend on whether you can pin point Lord and Miller's style compared to Ron's in certain scenes? Considering the supposed frequent improvisation will they cut those moments if they are unnecessary and just reshoot with what was written while keeping the stuff from when they stuck to the script and then whatever stuff they hadn't done yet Ron can do from scratch.

Who's to say at this point. Just a matter of getting things back on track and finishing it first.

6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
  7. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014

As long as this development isn't arrested, I think it's safe to say that happy days are ahead for the Han Solo flick. ;)

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Safe choice, he's made movies in a variety of genres.

I'd still like to see Joe Johnston direct a Star Wars movie (and am bummed Marvel never let him do a proper Winter Soldier movie closer to the source material...but perhaps I'll get over that when he gets his next gig at Disney). :p

cwustudent likes this.
  9. cameron.osborn

cameron.osborn Jedi Knight

Nov 17, 2014
    I wonder if this means we'll have a Hans Zimmer Star Wars score.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  10. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Apollo 13 is one of my favourite movies of all time. And he's directed a few fair other memorable films too (even if his most recent works aren't quite up to the same standard). If the Han Solo script is as awesome as hinted at, then we should get a really good movie. Howard is more than capable of getting good performances out of actors and directing good action set pieces, the alleged failings of the previous directors.

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I just read about this story in the paper. This was far and away the safest pick. He's the right man to fix this dilemma. I think Howard will make a splash. He's got a beautiful mind and he's really gung ho about the project. After taking over for Lord and Miller there was some perception that there would be some backdraft and that Howard would be looked at as the Grinch that stole Christmas but he insists that being asked to work on a Star Wars movie is a real rush.

Reached for comment Howard said, "I've survived parenthood so this will be a breeze". Asked what we can expect from his his take on Han Solo Howard confirmed his film will have, "angels and demons, grand theft auto, ransom, old paint, cotton candy, cards, cads, guns, gore and death. Oh and Edtv.". Coming in late he'll likely have to work the night shift. When he's done he'll probably be so tired he'll curl up into a cocoon and when we see him next at the premier he'll have transformed into a Cinderella man.

12. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    How long did that take you to come up with all those cliches? :)
    Very funny BTW

13. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Three weeks to go and this happened. Weren't directors supposed to have freedom? How much freedom did Rian Johnson truly have?

I trust Kathleen Kennedy to make the right call. Rogue One had reshoots but is spectacular.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Lord and Miller are obviously comedy Directors and I don't know if that will jive in a Star Wars movie and was probably why they were let go that and changing the script to much, I don't mind a little Improvisation like When Harrison said to Leia: I know. but I don't think in the OT Improv happened all that much. from what it sounds like Lord and Miller did this through out the film and compromised the integrity of the film. that really ticks me off.

I love the Ron Howard signing my entire family are all huge fans!

15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013

Um, what Pym said.

PymParticles and Nibelung like this.
  16. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Eh, I'm not excited by this choice. He's competent, but I find his work to be safe and plain. Which is why I'm not surprised by the choice.

To his credit though I do think that he will put his best creative effort into the project. And getting a filmmaker of his reputation probably means that they aren't planning on just doing a sloppy salvage job with the film. (eta: to clarify, I do think it's a good idea in this situation to bring on someone with his level of experience and his connections to Lucasfilm, I'm just not a huge Howard fan.)

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Ha. Well I just took everything from his IMDB page but it took longer than I'd like to admit.:p

18. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    [face_dancing] Fantastic news [face_dancing]

19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm hoping Howard uses John Williams score for the title sequence at the very least. Having the off-brand sorta but not really Star Wars music in Rogue One was jarring and deflating.

20. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    It's called the "Eastwood Rule", because Clint Eastwood fired the director and took over the role himself while filming The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Insert your own ironic comment about the Man With No Name affecting the production of a Han Solo movie here.

I should note that Lucas hired Ron Howard to direct this film precisely because it was a watered-down, PG version of the R-rated fantasy film he'd originally cooked up with French artist Jean Giraud/Moebius.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  21. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Star Wars is a rich universe of infinite possibilities with a strong brand to help realize them! So we're not gonna do anything because that brand is (apparently) so fragile that anything that steps outside the comfort zone is gonna get ****ed harder than life itself.

Big franchise film making, the place where you can go kiss the business end of a shotgun when it comes to actually doing anything remotely interesting with an established universe.

22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    There are ways of getting around the DGA. Just ask Spielberg and Tobe Hooper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artoo-Dion and JoshieHewls like this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    About %80 of the films on this list are great. Not sure what all of the complaints are about.

1982 Night Shift
    1984 Splash
    1985 Cocoon
    1986 Gung Ho Also executive producer
    1988 Willow
    1989 Parenthood Also story writer
    1991 Backdraft
    1992 Far and Away Also story writer and producer
    1994 The Paper
    1995 Apollo 13
    1996 Ransom
    1999 EDtv Also producer
    2000 How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    2001 A Beautiful Mind
    2003 The Missing
    2005 Cinderella Man
    2006 The Da Vinci Code
    2008 Frost/Nixon
    2009 Angels & Demons
    2011 The Dilemma
    2013 Rush
    Made in America
    2015 In the Heart of the Sea
    2016 The Beatles: Eight Days a Week
    Inferno
    2018 Untitled Han Solo film Co-director, replaced directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller

24. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    I wonder if this means Howard will get official credit for directing the film? I only bring this up because I have no memories at all of Tony Gilroy getting a big announcement for helming the reshoots of Rogue One on the official Star Wars website. If the plan is to put Howard's name at the directing slot, then I fully expect the reshoots to be massive in order for Howard to qualify for the credit slot under DGA rules.

As an aside, I'm still reeling from that May 2018 release date. I'm actually hoping that KK decides to push that date back to December 2018.

25. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Gilroy received no official credit but did earn a whopping $5 million for rewrites, overseeing reshoots and total supervision over the edit and post. Edwards was at his side during reshoots and editing. Parts of the beginning, the Vader scene and the ending were written, shot and edited under Gilroy's post production supervision. I imagine much can be shot in a couple of months. Perhaps even over 50%. I think Gilroy's work was roughly 40%. Maybe more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk