main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Ron Howard to Finish Han Solo film

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 22, 2017.

1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Of course they will be fine on future projects. This won't make them a black sheep in Hollywood. But if they wanted to complete their movie and remain in the SW family they could have played ball with the reigning titans of SW and still put some of their stamp on the franchise. Filmmaking is a highly collaborative process, especially with a huge film like this very very few directors get to do absolutely everything they want, the way they want. Seems like L&M had an all or nothing/take our ball and go home attitude, and Kennedy rightfully called them on their bluff. And I say this as a fan of L&M.

Padme501st and Gigoran Monk like this.
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Can't be pushed back. Disney has Mary Poppins 2 (just typing that makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs) while The Incredibles 2 comes out in mid-June of next year. Nowhere on the slate for them to push it back. That said, there is no reason really for them to even need to. Most of the film is finished. Ron is going to finish up what's left, do some planned reshoots and cut it in a style the board at Lucasfilm wants. He has nearly a year to finish the film. Plenty of time.

4. MadBoomBoom

MadBoomBoom Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    So Kathleen Kennedy and Kasdan didn't like Lord and Miller's work thus far? I mean this is the guy that everyone keeps praising for no reason at all. He is the guy that thought oh yes a 3rd DEATH STAR was such a good idea and the fact TFA script was so amazing. I wouldn't trust Kasdan or Kennedy for anything. Doesn't matter what director you choose even Ron Howard. If the script is bad then nothing will save it.

5. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Apollo 13 was a long time ago. It's good, not great, but it's very competently made. Howard's recent films, however, are absolute trash. So while I'm cautiously optimistic that he can shepherd shooting, re-shooting and post-production without killing the film's spirit, I really hope this doesn't lead to a full-on Howard SW film in the future.

And it's scaring me how many people here are calling for that. So please, stop. For my sake. :)

11-4D and GregMcP like this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

8. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Who would you preferred to have taken over the production?

9. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    SW film just have to be decent to make a boatload of money. And it seems like this is what they are aiming for.

Dont see how Howard is such an awesome get.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    As some have mentioned, he's long time friends with LFL high ups including Lucas and KK. He's worked in a variety of genres including comedy. Of his more recent works, I liked his Dan Brown films (especially. Angels and Demons). He's safe, but it's pretty darn strange the directors were booted this far into shooting the movie.

11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  12. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I'll be curious to see how they list the director(s) in the end credits (will L&M be included with Ron H?).

ZY-Fighter and Mostly Handless like this.
  13. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Hopefully now living life on the project will be more free from here on out.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013

Could the new Han Solo movie become the biggest film ever to be directed by Alan Smithee?
    Smithee is the pseudonym the Directors Guild of America uses for a helming credit when a movie's director takes his name off a movie. That hasn't happened yet in the case of the Star Wars spinoff.

The DGA doesn’t much like multiple directors to begin with: “There will be only one Director assigned to direct a motion picture at any given time,” says the guild's “one director” rule. But waivers are possible, and increasingly common — especially in the case of established directing teams. Still, it would be a stretch for the DGA to approve three directors' names on a film.
    And there's a further twist: While the Writers Guild of America has elaborate rules and even an appeals procedure for credit disputes, the DGA doesn’t.
    Instead, the rule is simply this: The DGA decides, and everyone is bound by that decision.

It's up to them. This is a difficult one.

I can't see all 3 really. The DGA doesn't like even two

15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    What I don't get is they signed on with Kasdan's script. I assume they liked it. But then they got to set and start improvising, to the point that the guy who wrote the script they're supposedly so on board with thinks they're gone off the reservation and are abandoning his work. So, what gives? Did they at some point in those 4-1/2 months sour on the script? I'd really like to hear all the thought processes behind this breakdown, but probably won't get it.

To keep my comment on topic, I have to say I'm less worried than a few here. Howard's stronger works - Apollo 13, a Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man (yeah, I said it, haters!), are good enough that I can forgive his dumb-Vinci movies and the like.

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Bolded Ouch. (j/k) :p

Very good points about these two and Kasdan's script. Perhaps, KK was expecting something like what the Russo Brothers did with Captain America The Winter Soldier (comedy directors who did a complete 360 showing off their versatility and love of the material)?

17. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Between Backdraft, Apollo 13 and Willow - i have no objections to Ron doing any film for them. Man i havent seen Willow in decades.

I wish he had his own film instead and i dont think that ego is a new thing in hollywood. SW is a hard property to handle...when youre GL you can do what you want...but when you try to adhere to what GL might have done..thats a whole can of worms....and the story group has a very harsh critics corner (ie internet) staring right at them every step of the way. I think ANY director is going to have some things they need to wrap their brain around especially if they have a strict idea of where the story is going in the linear sense.

Padme501st likes this.
  18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "Quick word of warning – this information comes from several different sources. Some details might not line up 100% with the other accounts of this information that are making the rounds right about now, but this is what I was able to figure out about the situation at hand."

That's remember me when SWNN posted that Iain McCaig said Disney banned anything about the prequels

19. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Further irony: most of the people making "Help us, Opie-Wan Kenobi" jokes will have been born decades after The Andy Griffith Show was cancelled.

20. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    From what I can tell the jury is mostly hung on this matter. 35% are happy, 15% are satisfied but reserved, 15% are skeptical but reserved, and 35% are not happy.

Could a poll be affixed to this sure-to-remain-active thread?

21. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    The largest cause of tension between LFL and L&M seems to have been the issue of sticking to Kasdan's script. L&M favoured on set improvisation. Kasdan, who was responsible for choosing those directors in the first place, seemed to want a hired hand to bring his screenplay to life. Howard will know that he's been called in to nurse Larry's baby back to health, not to make a straight up Ron Howard movie. As others have said, for a patch up job you could do far Worse than Ron Howard.

[face_laugh]=D=

22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    So after the previous directors get fired it's going to be "happy days" on the set - cooooool

23. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    something something The Andy Griffith Show something

24. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'd rather have an Eopie than Opie.

[​IMG]

25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Is that your view on his two recent movies that are supposed to be very good? Rush & Eight Days a Week? Both around 90% positive reviews.

ZY-Fighter and Ricardo Funes like this.