main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    You’ve read the script?

Corellian Blue and ZY-Fighter like this.
  2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    so true we don't even know what the film/script is about maybe before we judge it we should see it first.

3. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I just don't understand how one can decide that the story of Han Solo before the OT is a bad one, when we have no idea what that story is. There are thousands of options.

Corellian Blue likes this.
  4. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Well I bet it will be a good story and very enjoyable film, I'm saying we just don't need it because Han Solo is already iconic as he is and we don't need to be shown his backstory.

5. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

The storyline for Solo: A Star Wars Story that I've heard so far sounds pretty promising. I'd crap my pants if this one had Boba Fett in it! :D

Corellian Blue and Gigoran Monk like this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I know this is likely an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the spin-off films are the right place for stories about new new characters, unless they're inserted into recognizable stories like the theft of the Death Star plans in Rogue One. Otherwise, it's easier for the audience to digest standalone movies that are set in a larger universe when they're about recognizable characters.

7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Meeeeeesa liken dis!!!! Blub, blub, blub

On another note, a Han Solo stand-alone written by Kasdan is one of the best story options I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corellian Blue and cwustudent like this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I remain skeptical about the story possibilities for this film, but I also remind myself that Lawrence Kasdan came back to Lucasfilm specifically for this film, even before he was brought on to TFA. That speaks to Lucasfilm's confidence in the script.

9. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017
    Don't you mean you don't need it, as opposed to we?

cwustudent and GregMcP like this.
  10. HaloWithStyle

May 11, 2015
    Sorry I was referring to just you and me, I can't speak for the rest of the world.

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    As if any Star Wars film is “needed.” Nothing after A New Hope was needed. The good guys blew up the weapon of the big bad guys that was the backbone of their power. That’s all that needed to happen.

All other Star Wars films are a bonus, including Solo. And I look forward to many bonuses to come.

12. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I agree with you but i think what people say is that it seems like Lucasfilm are only planning "origin" movies. I'm actually excited about the Solo movie now, though still a bit anxious about it, but if the next star wars spin offs are Kenobi: a star wars story, Yoda: a star wars story then etc..then they're lacking of imagination: do we have to know everything about each SW characters? A bit of mystery is always welcome, leave some room for imagination IMO. But as i said i'm actually looking forward to seeing this film. I just hope they won't do the same trick with every spin off.

13. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    It makes sense for general audiences, at least for the first few spin-offs. Rogue One is about stealing the Death Star plans, everyone knows what the Death Star is. Solo is about Han Solo's origins, everyone knows who Han Solo is. The Obi-Wan Kenobi spin-off will be about him, presumably sometime between ROTS and ANH, everyone knows Obi-Wan. At some point they should go in the direction of showing off new characters and stories that no one is familiar with so we can really expand this universe.

14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    But there are different kinds of expansion. Namely, horizontal and vertical. What stories like Rogue One do is expand the galaxy vertically, which means that it adds layers to a world/ time period/ story that we've seen. It expanded the world of that time period significantly, and this enhanced the verisimilitude of the galaxy. Gives it depth. Which is a vertical expansion. You're asking for a horizontal expansion, which widens the galaxy in time and space. That's essentially time periods we haven't seen yet, which the ST does. Spreads things out.

Both are valuable. LFL seems to be starting with vertical expansion for the spinoffs: adding depth to familiar time periods (events and characters). Eventually, I suspect, they'll start expanding horizontally. Though currently, that's the job of the ST.

cwustudent and my kind of scum like this.
  15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think that’s always going to be the purview of the trilogy films. Even if Episode IX caps the Skywalker Saga and we never see Episodes X onwards, they’re not going to give up trilogies. The trilogies are their bread and butter, and it shows in the difference between how they market the ST films vs the standalone movies. I think past the ST, we’ll see a trilogy set in a far removed timeline with no known characters present in any capacity. The standalone films will instead continue to be a source of further exploring he characters and situations we’re familiar with, adding new lore and layers.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Movie series... trilogies, 7 movies where we get Episodes 7 parts 1 and 2.... they are what hook audience.

My big sadness with Rogue One is that we were given this great collection of characters, but it was done in one movie.
    I could have eaten a series of movies with those guys easily.

I hope Solo becomes the new Trilogy. I hope we like the characters enough to want that.
    Though I hope it's not The Hobbit to Lord of the Rings... feels like my favourite movies, but a less authentic version of them.

We will get Episode 10. Sooner or later.
    They'd be silly to stop. Lil Benji Skywalker. You'll fall in love with him.

17. Jim Smith

Apr 5, 2017

Well if we don't know more about each Star Wars character a lot of people that thinks they are so masterpiece theatre just might start whining about how there's a lack of character development.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A story doesn't have to be an Origin Story.
    I know Star Wars is built on origin stories, but a Yoda movie can just be Yoda fighting the Evil Whoever and finding the Mystical Thing.

Anyway. I don't have any stake in a Yoda movie. Don't care if they do or don't.

19. Jim Smith

Apr 5, 2017

I have never heard the functionality of the Star Wars anthology films and episodic films put any better. Great job, very well said! :D

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Me too!

21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Only 7 months away!!

22. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017

Not me.

23. HaloWithStyle

May 11, 2015
    but I know you know deep down a Han Solo movie is unnecessary.

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Agree. You'd better not watch it. I'll take your seat at the midnight premiere.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    If you don't want it, don't see it, and just ignore it.

I hope they do a Bounty Hunters film, not just Fett. His story has been told already.

This is where they can spread out some, yes, Fett will be in it, Dengar, and a few others, but we get to meet new characters. This would of course be set between Episode V and VI.

If you want to make it interesting, remove Boba Fett and set it after Return of the Jedi. Another thing you could do is bring back Fett at the very end of the film, so he did escape the Sarlaac Pit after all.

There's so many ways you can take these characters and films.

Corellian Blue likes this.