main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well I'm off to see the film! I hope I like it! [face_nail_biting]

Oh who am I kidding? Of course I'll like it!

But I hope I love it! [face_praying]

Oh who am I kidding? Of course I'll love it!

Star Wars had me at "Hello there." [face_love]

:p

2. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Got this Solo cup at the movie theater yesterday, at Cinemark here in Brazil.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did you guys get anything like that? I've seen some crazy Range Trooper cups from other countries, too bad we don't get them here.

whostheBossk and Ricardo Funes like this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm really loving the unique title reveal for each Anthology film. Solo's looked really great!

IlhamKamaruddin, themoth, B99 and 5 others like this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved it! I preferred it to the cold opening of R1. I just think a little narrative set up at the beginning helps the films find footing more quickly. Rogue One worked without one, but I prefer the Solo approach.

11-4D and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    After watching Solo something that has really clicked with me is just how well it compliments the ST. That's right the Sequel Trilogy. Obviously in the OT we see the struggle against the Empire but it's on a much grander scale where you don't really get to see how it effects every day life. With these dark times Anthology films you really get to see how the Empire brutalized the galaxy and it really helps to illustrate what the galaxy will become if the First Order wins (the darkness is spreading throughout the galaxy). This is what they want the galaxy to go back to and it's what our heroes are fighting desperately to stop.

I expect this to really hit home in Episode IX because the First Order is now the dominant force in the galaxy. I think we'll see the First Order oppression really begin but this time the galaxy will rise up!

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Unless of course Supreme Renperor is actually a good leader, and 9's battle goes down a far more personal path. I'd like that. ;)

8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I’m in Nashville and saw it at the Regal in Hendersonville (in town for a wedding) and it was the most fun I’ve had at a STAR WARS film since TESB. It’s just straight up summer fun space adventure. And I’m the most skeptical SOB you’ll ever meet. I can’t wait to see it again. Alden Ehrenreich was exceptional. No fear. That must be his motto, because he did more than just fill shoes, he made his own of fine leather. The Kasdans, Ron Howard, even Lord and Miller, everyone who had a hand deserves praise. Loved the cast. I really hope this film does exceptionally well at the box office because I’d like to see Alden again as Han Solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Love this, especially the bolds!

Immortiss likes this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Solo’s title zooms out, Solo’s title zooms towards us.

11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Next step is doing an unique ending, I'm so tired of the same iris out every time. It definitely wasn't as jarring as in Rogue One but I wanted something new there too.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    I thought Solo’s ending was good. Young Han’s story is always going to continue, so it’s hard to make it self contained. It felt celebratory. He had his new ship, his co-pilot and a sense of purpose (going to Tattooine). It was a happy way to end things.

13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I was thinking about the iris out with the classic music. It's always jarring to me.

14. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s a tradition that needs to stay.

Import_Jedi and Ricardo Funes like this.
  15. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    That's what they said about the crawl.

16. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    It has remained. Saga films are not anthologies.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  17. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Which is why I wanted the anthologies to do something different with the endings. But you already know what I meant.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Bossk_Baby likes this.
  19. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    That’s a shame. It certainly doesn’t deserve to be the most expensive. Why would a Han Solo stand-alone, without massive high paid actors and a smaller in scope story, cost more to make than the episodes?

It also doesn’t look like the most expensive. The film had a bit of a cheap look to it. All that money went to essentially filming the movie twice, it doesn’t really show up onscreen.

It’s a waste LFL and KK will have to grapple with. Solo is clearly meant to kickoff a cinematic universe and therefore performing like an Ant Man or Thor stand-alone (which it’s more or less doing right now) would be seen as successful. Instead it looks like a disaster because of out of control costs and terrible PR. Big error by LFL. Should have had the right team in place before production began.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I just wish L&M had agreed to collaborate with a new director so that they could have retained their directing credit (as Edwards did), and so that not as much of the film would have been reshot. Howard had to re-shoot nearly 80% of the film in order to avoid labor rules about directing credits. That's a huge factor in how much this film ended up costing.

21. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    So I'm confused about the timeline now.

https://swshadowcouncil.com/2018/05/25/highlights-from-the-solo-a-star-wars-story-official-guide/

According to the Solo Visual Guide the movie takes place 10 years before ANH. But in Last Shot Lando still has the Falcon and L3 8 years before ANH.

Han's thoughts on Qi'ra also don't really seem to line up with how their relationship ends 7 years prior in Solo (she dumps him at 21, and when we see him at 26 it really sounds like he is grieving over her death and that it recently happened), but I supposed that may have been based on a sequel where she dies.

Also, Han should be 29 in the pre ANH Han parts in Last Shot by this timeline but he tells Maz he's in his early 20s.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Solo begins ten years prior to ANH, jumps ahead three years after Corellia, and thus ends seven years prior to ANH. That’s why Lando still owns the Falcon eight years before ANH.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    whostheBossk and themoth like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wookieepedia seems to be going with "Kessel Run in 10 BBY", Han escapes Corellia in 13 BBY" though:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/10_BBY

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/13_BBY

24. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yup, and that's based on the visual guide which states that Solo does not begin in 10 BBY, but ends in that year.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Er, OK...In that case, someone should ask LFL for clarification.