main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Lil tiny Han in diaper and vest.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is an Anthology film, not a Sequel Trilogy film. Moving the thread to the Spin-offs forum.

3. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I don't agree with recasting.

As much as I loved Ewans Obi-Wan I don't want any Kenobi Movies to be set too close to IV either.

4. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    That was a joke, man. I don't really think he was born at age 31. But I don't think there's any real difference between that look, and the one 10 years later. Meaning that even if you set this film 10 years before Star Wars, you're still going to have a problem with the fact audiences know exactly what a young Han Solo is *supposed* to look like, because they've already seen it - in STAR WARS.

Obviously Lucasfilm isn't sweating that so much, because they're going to recast the role for a younger actor. The question is how much younger do you have to go before you don't bump up against the kind of cognitive dissonance that will cause a lot of viewers to just reject it out of hand because the guy they get simply doesn't look like the Han Solo that's in four other Star Wars movies.

They avoided it with McGregor, because they went 30 years back. That makes a recast plausible for a lot of people. But if we're only going 3 or 4 years back, it's going to be a bit jarring.

5. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    #HanVomitedFirst

Left on Jabba's porch, no doubt.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I think the actor they cast for Han most likely it's for more than just one movie, you don't recast Han for only one movie.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I admit, this is the first new, Disney-helmed SW film with a premise which doesn't do much for me.

Han Solo is certainly not a character who I am pining to learn more about. Nor is the idea for the movie something a little different and intriguing.

But hey -- I'll certainly give it a chance. And who knows? By the time we have an idea of casting and a synopsis, I might be excited by this one.

As it stands right now, though? [face_tired] I-)

I don't mean to be a Debbie-downer, here; I'm happy for anyone who is into the idea. And as I say, I may eventually warm to the idea. But I just feel there are far more interesting subjects.

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I like the Star Wars anthology banner. Boba Fett's flamethrower as metaphor for Disney torching the saga with ideas like this.

12. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    We accept Sir Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor as Obi-wan Kenobi don't we? We can do the same for Han.

13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    is it possible to post the link of the official news on the first post of this thread so that one can go back to it at any time???

EHT and darklordoftech like this.
  14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This could explain the recent casting information about the Jedi who befriends Han. Maybe it was for this movie all along.

JediKnightWax likes this.
  15. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    I'll probably need some more time to process and collect my thoughts about this, so I'm not going to make any lengthy, hyperbolic fanboy statements...but as of right now, I absolutely hate this idea of a young Han Solo movie. The only thing keeping me from getting really, really dark about this is is Miller, Lord and Kasdan. With those guys involved, the movie will probably be a lot of fun. But, it just seems so damn...unnecessary.

Of all the possible scenarios for good, original Star Wars movies that could push the franchise forward, they're choosing to go back. And that makes me sad and angry.

Digladio and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'll say this much about a Han movie, though: If Lucasfilm is seriously going to devote an entire Anthology film to Han Solo, they had better be considering a Leia Organa movie and a Luke Skywalker stand-alone, as well.

None of this, "Luke already had his film; three of them called the OT" business, either. There is over thirty years-worth of unexplored territory for Luke Skywalker now. And if they can recast a young Han Solo, they can do the same for Luke and Leia, too.

Just imagine Lucasfilm finally giving us the early post-ROTJ, "Luke Skywalker as a young Jedi Knight" movie(s) so many of us have been dreaming about for decades. =P~

Now that would be a film -- heck, a trilogy! -- that I'd wait in line a week for. And it can involve all of the OT hero characters, without going backwards and exploring their "origins."

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, and done! :cool:

starocean90 likes this.
  18. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Wow how unnecessary. Why not make a young Tony Stark movie too about his alcoholic days!

19. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    That's a 30 year difference that never got any closer than a 20 year one.

We still don't actually know the time-frame on this one, do we? If it's anything north of age 20, it's gonna be weird.

20. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It's directed by the LEGO Movie director, and Chris Pratt has had two years of bringing in the biggest box office haul. Unless he doesn't want to be Han or Marvel somehow can claim dibs because of Guardians, I definitely see him as one of the front runners. And much as I enjoy him, I'd still like to see someone else if possible as he's almost too safe a choice for this movie.

21. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    How would that work? Han thought Jedi were a "hokey religion" in ANH.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  22. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    They should use these opportunities to expand the universe, not mess with iconic characters.

23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I generally agree and since it's pretty much confirmed now that earlier reports were correct and Solo and Fett are 2 different movies (which could have some interest) a young Han Solo seems more like a short film than a Star Wars level movie.

He's very much a high level support character.

I'm not convinced on either Solo or Fett movies but Fett overall has a lot more going for him than Solo.

Obi-Wan movies have tons of possibilities for a single film or two ( I don't know about 3).

The basic problem of course is that you need to be Han Solo who's younger than an already young Solo in ANH.

Going from an older Kenobi to younger is easy in comparison but from a 30 year old Han to a late teens to mid-20's?

That is tough to pull off.

Yes 32, 22 and 19 years before we meet him in ANH. When he lived a totally different life.

This is about a young man becoming a man who is young when we meet him.

So if he is just the same guy younger then that is not so interesting but if he is too far away then people will likely be annoyed.

Han simply is not that deep a character.

If the Kasdan's can pull this off this will be an achievement.

What is the story hook?

DarthBane93 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  24. Boski

Boski Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2005
    Yea but there were years that passed between Guinness in ANH and Ewan in ROTS that I think made if feel more believable. Han was what 28? in ANH. How young are they going to go?

HanSolo29 likes this.
  25. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    I would accept this with an open mind as I have with everything that has come down the pike. To reject it off the bat, seems, premature.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing in this movie is they establish an initial encounter between these two, making this:

[​IMG]

their 2nd face to face encounter.