main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, Chewie looks a bit off to me.

2. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

Yep, there's no reason for Disney to try to stick to the May 2018 release date if they don't need to. It's not as symbolic as the May 25, 2017 release date that The Last Jedi originally had...

Celebrating ANH's 41st anniversary isn't as momentous as marking its 40th with Episode VIII hitting cinemas. Oh well.

3. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Well, one possible reason is they may not want to tangle with Avatar 2, which would be mutually assured destruction at the worldwide box-office with no winners.

4. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    True true. Especially seeing as how Disney also has a stake in Avatar's theatrical success... (With the World of Avatar opening at Disney World this May)

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    One thing I'm truly sick of hearing, and this is more of a general grievance (...General Grievous), I'm not specifically talking about users on this board, is, "Why are they making this movie when I want an Obi-Wan film?" Like, here's the thing: either they're not going to do it at all and this film happening has nothing to do with that film not happening, or they are going to do it, in which case they'll get around to making it in less than half a decade. But Jesus, the whining and the weird borderline insinuation that we're somehow not getting an Obi-Wan film because we're getting a Han film is just plain annoying, and I want an Obi-Wan film with McGregor as much as anyone. I want this movie to be good because I love the character and they have by all rights assembled an exceptional and intriguing cast and crew, and a good Star Wars film will always be preferable to a bad Star Wars film, but I want it to be great almost out of sheer spite.

Because the thing is, if this movie is actually good, and I mean it's a well made film with good writing, directing, cinematography, music, acting, story, action, etc., everyone complaining about it now on basic principle (I have seen the comment "Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea???" made no less than, I swear to god, fifty times) is either going to have to start singing a different tune next May, or be left irrationally hating the movie because Harrison Ford isn't in it. And yes, even if the film is somehow nominated for Best Picture there are people who will dislike it for their own completely valid reasons related to personal taste and subjective opinion and that's totally fine, but I'm talking about the majority consensus opinion.

Because right now, the complaints have nothing to do with poor choice of director(s), or screenwriters, or actors (unless it's about appearance, never acting ability), or cinematographer, or composer. It's almost solely to do with, "But it's not Harrison Ford so how can it not suck?" with a little bit of "They should have cast Anthony Ingruber because I saw a YouTube once" and "I have no imagination so I assume the movie is going to be a straight checklist of things mentioned in IV-VI" thrown in for good measure.

If it actually does suck we can all hate it together, and for the right reasons, in a little over a year. But until then, to quote Han, "Come on, let's keep a little optimism here."

6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    And why would he look like that years before ANH?

7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah, but Obi-Wan.

PymParticles likes this.
  8. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    For those worried that we'll have a long wait between the Han Solo movie coming out in May 2018 and Episode IX coming out in December 2019, remember that we also have a new Indiana Jones movie coming in July 2019. It should make the wait a little easier :).

9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I will fight you

I was thinking about this a couple of hours ago. We have Harrison Ford's last film as Han Solo in 2015, Carrie Fisher's last film as Leia this year, and in 2019 (presumably) Mark Hamill's last film as Luke Skywalker alongside Harrison Ford's last film as Indiana Jones.

DarthRosie and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so they released a cast photo , 2 more British actresses ! seems to be a pattern .

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Nice to see a cast photo, looking forward to seeing them in costume. Strange to see Chewie with TFA look for this, I'd have thought it would be close to the original movies design. But thats a minor nitpick.

12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Han Solo in IMAX!
    http://deadline.com/2017/02/disney-...9-new-distribution-deal-star-wars-1201938700/

actually it's 3 not 2.
    Thandie Newton was announced but not pictured also British.

so from Disney Era, there has been 0 new non British actresses in SW.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  13. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    hopefully Mark has a cameo in X. [face_praying]

14. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I have seen (and heard (IRL!)) people gripe about this and excitedly anticipate this. There is apparently a whole bunch of people that think, "Ugh! Two hours of seeing Han drop Jabba's shipment; win the falcon from Lando; have an altercation with Greedo, meet Chewbacca, save chewbacca, Maybe be an Imperial, and transport spice from kessle in 12 parsecs :rolleyes:" as well as a whole bunch of people that think, "Yay! Two hours of seeing Han drop Jabba's shipment; win the falcon from Lando; have an altercation with Greedo, meet Chewbacca, save chewbacca, Maybe be an Imperial, and transport spice from Kessle in 12 parsecs [face_dancing] "

I hope they only choose two from the list above to feature in the movie.
    I'm excited about it. I'll be seeing it. Maybe not opening night, but I'll go see it for sure.

PymParticles likes this.
  15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I'd assume it's about 10 years before ANH , I mean they need to allow themselves room if it's a big hit and they want to make more .

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    These movies are supposed to be one-offs, they have no need to keep room for anything. Even if they would opt for a sequel - which is rather unlikely - you don't need a lot of room to squeeze a movie into.

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    but movies take a while to make and actors keep aging . Can't see why they wouldn't do more if it works .

19. WickerMan22

WickerMan22 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2015
    If Han does come out in May, I feel we'll get Episode 9 in May 2019. It seems that since Episode 8 was originally planned for May 2017, Disney/Lucasfilm has been trying to get back on the "traditional" Star Wars May release.

20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Weird if true that they wouldn't do it at Celebration, but I guess they want most of the focus on TLJ's first teaser, and they'll need something for D23 other than the BTS reel I'm presuming they'll show.

21. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Prepare for tears - Disney doesn't live stream D23 Expo.

22. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    There's a first time for everything. A couple of years ago we didn't think they'd stream the TFA panel at Celebration, either. And whatever gets released at D23, a BTS reel for TLJ or a title for the Han movie, will likely be released online almost immediately after. The only thing we wouldn't get would be if they prepared a special teaser for the audience, like the Rouge One teaser from Celebration last year or the RO "announcement" teaser at Celebration the year prior.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

thought the post before the one I replied to was refereeing to the Russian Actors portrayal of Chewie in TFA and how his costume looked off in TFA and his eyes ?

24. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Finnish. I thought he squinted so we couldn't see into the mask

25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

no he is obviously a different person then Mayhew and they have different looking eyes, personally I had no problems with Chewie's look and he looks good In the Han Solo cast photo IMHO...