main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's a testament to the cast and crew that's been put together for this film, and everything the people involved have said about its overall approach, that I'm looking forward to it even more than The Last Jedi. There's a Star Wars: Episode VIII being released eight months from now, the middle film in a trilogy I've wanted since I was four years old, following up a movie I absolutely adored that was filled with brand new characters I fell in love with instantly, and it's being written and directed by Rian "Actual Genius" Johnson and promises to be "weird" and "different" in its content and approach. And, despite all of that and how insanely and ridiculously excited I am for that film, I'm somehow even more excited for a movie I actively didn't want made just two years ago. Crazy.

2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah, this. I was soooo against this film but when I saw what they did with RO I regained some hope! I just way prefer the OT timeline... TLJ trailer was good, but nothing about it got me going the way it should have. Oh well.

Gigoran Monk and PymParticles like this.
  3. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm the same. I love that the ST feels like an organic expansion and continuation of the OT, in that it's visually, thematically, tonally, and aesthetically of a piece with it, and with the classic designs updated to reflect the passing of time. But the OT itself is where my heart truly lies, and it's cool getting films like Rogue One and this one that further explore its world, where we can see classic X-Wings and stormtroopers alongside new things like U-Wings and Death Troopers, and different genres, tones, and themes can be played around with. It kind of feels like the OT-centric EU of the 90s brought to life.

Gigoran Monk and Avnar like this.
  4. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I wouldn't say I'm more excited for this that TLJ, but I'm definitely much more excited than I should be. What I loved about RO is that it did a great job, IMO, of exploring a side of Star Wars that the movies didn't have time for; the perspective of average soldiers on the ground doing dirty work for the top brass of the Rebellion. The Han Solo movie has the potential to expand on the underworld and criminal elements that we've glimpsed in other media, and if it dives headfirst into that we're in for a real treat.

my kind of scum and Gigoran Monk like this.
  5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I hear a lot of people say that RO was a war film in the vain of Saving Private Ryan, I thought It had the same feel as all the other 7 films In the series especially The OT and TFA...

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  6. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    So Fox just announced that Avatar 2 is set for December 2020. We already knew it wasn't going to make December 2018, but this makes it official. Unfortunately, they just set Deadpool 2 for a June 1, 2018 release, which is just one week after the Han Solo release. Han Solo will be coming out only three weeks after Avengers 3, one week before Deadpool, three weeks before Incredibles 2, and four weeks before Jurassic World 4.

I assume it still stays in May, but I wonder if it might get some more breathing room in July. Apparently Disney doesn't want to move it to December because they don't want it to cut into Mary Poppins. You also now have Aquaman and the animated Spider-Man coming in late December as well.

I originally was hoping it would do Rogue One type numbers (500 million domestic / 1 billion total), but now I think that might be difficult with all the 2018 competition.

7. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    ^ Sorry, I meant Jurassic World 2, not Jurassic World 4.

8. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I think I'm also generally more excited about this movie than TLJ. With Rogue One, Disney/Lucasfilm has really showed that they work best in the OT era.

Avnar likes this.
  9. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Avatar 2 is 2020? Jesus it took 11 years...

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

I say move Han Solo to December.

Jim Smith likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I found something interesting on Wookieepedia. It could just be a mistake on their part but the Han Solo article has the Kessel Run occurring after Han drops Jabba's cargo. It even says that he started to smuggle for the Pykes in order to pay off Jabba and during one of these smuggling jobs he made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. Now I've always assumed that the dropping of the cargo occurred directly before the film but the screenplay for ANH at least makes it seem like Han has had several chances to pay off Jabba but for whatever reason hasn't been able to. So basically I'm now wondering if this is going to be covered in the film. Han and Chewie drop the cargo, become indebted to Jabba, start smuggling for the Pykes to pay him off, make the Kessel Run but still can't pay him off for some reason by the end of the film. Probably not but I found it intriguing at least.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I've always had the impression that Han losing the spice took place almost immediately before the film. Of course, Jabba could have run out of patience with Han by that point, but had been willing to give him a chance until then.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That's what I thought too but the article made me rethink it. It's probably nothing but maybe... :p

PCCViking likes this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It would be interesting. Despite having his guards with him in the Docking Bay, Jabba's tone was somewhat conciliatory in the ANH scene, in contrast with his harsher, angrier tone in ROTJ.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You'd also think if Han was Jabba's best smuggler he'd have given him some time to pay him back instead of immediately putting a bounty on his head. And if Han rewarded Jabba's patience with nothing but excuse after excuse he could have finally lost that patience with him which leads us to ANH. Han even says to Greedo that "this time I've got the money." That could indicate that he's had chances before to come up with it.

Okay I'll stop now because I'm beginning to convince myself which is never a good idea. :p

16. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    You're beginning to convince ME and it's making me uncomfortable.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    So is this film still slated for May next year? Any new news or rumors on it?

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    As far as anyone knows it's still coming out in May. There hasn't been any word that it's moving.

B99 likes this.
  19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I doubt it'll move. Aquaman and the animated Spider-Man film are both slated to be released on prime real estate weekends in December 2018, so I don't think this will move there unless they move. Cue the "Do you really think those films would compete against Star Wars??" comments. Star Wars would probably come out on top, true, but they'd cannibalize each other's total box office intake, which is bad business.

This is almost certainly going to maintain its May 2018 release (good; I want it ASAP), and I think we'll start to see the series shift back to its traditional May release cycle pretty soon. Avatar 2-5 are taking December dates from 2020 to 2025, and in a world where they actually get released (...yeah) you're not going to want the competition.

B99 likes this.
  20. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    i mean honestly are people really that stoked about avatar it has taken them so long to make

21. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't know a single person who cares at all. All of these people, by the way, are looking forward to the upcoming Star Wars films. Some more so for The Last Jedi (those who liked The Force Awakens more), others more so for the Han Solo film (those who liked Rogue One more). It just hasn't had a lot of staying power. But regardless, it's James Cameron. I'm such each will make approximately a bajillion dollars. They just have to actually, you know, be made and released first, which looks less and less likely as the years go by.

22. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    it looks like they are actually starting today so they might actually get made, but I personally am like meh, I'm more excited for new fresh things and of course SW.

Avnar likes this.
  23. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    So I'm just thinking of the best time for a trailer would be. Going by past trends won't fit if I'm thinking correctly.

Both R1 and TLJ had their teasers released 4 months after the previous film started in theaters. Using a 12 month countdown starting in May this year for the Solo flick, 4 months into that "year" would place a teaser around Sept/October. The problem with that is it will be right around the time that TLJ has its full trailer release and then if push in marketing etc. I just can't see them dropping it around then as it will get lost in all the TLJ marketing. Pushing it later will only lave it closer to TLJ so my guess is we could potentially get a teaser as early as July/August.

I have too much time on my hands right now.

24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think the Kessell Run, dropping the cargo and Jabba's debt will all be referenced in some way. Disney are really fleshing out everything surrounding the New Hope timeline, just as they did standalone films leading in to The Avengers. Only difference is this time the big event film has already been made - 40 years ago. I'm expecting one more standalone film taking place just before A New Hope as well. Either Obi-Wan or Boba Fett.

25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    On this... (Han Solo related)

Do you (or anyone else) remember the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions...? I wasn't a huge fan of the films but went along because when I was a teenager we all went and saw everything :cool: Sorry, my point - The trailer for Revolutions came out directly at the end of the Reloaded film! From memory they even advertised it this way so everyone stayed and sat through the credits because the film was coming out a mere 6 months later! Granted that is a direct sequel to the previous film. Imagine if the Solo trailer was attached at the start (maybe too distracting?) or at the end of TLJ! I also wonder about these films in relation to the question of whether 2 films 6 months apart will hurt either at the box office... I doubt it. [face_dunno]