main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Vader in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Charon Lefleur, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Rogue One has to take the line that makes it works in the greater context with all the other movies not to mention the animation, comics and books so Vader has to be akin to both Anakin and Anakin as Darth Vader before the armor.

R1 is consequently just as much a sequel to ROTS as a prequel to ANH excluding the more specific personal elements of the Skywalker family. Those are replaced by the Erso family's history which thematically tie-in ie. Father turns into bad guy and child restores father to good guy. Now of course we know that Galen never really became an actual bad guy but in story everyone does including Jyn.

As for the restricted movement it's easily explained much like the movements of Anakin, Obi-Wan and Dooku in AOTC. On a level surface in a relatively enclosed space a duel is more upfront as opposed to what was seen even after ANH with Luke and Vader where they were on different levels with various obstacles to use.

For some reason people seem to think Obi-Wan was weak. I don't buy that taunt from Vader. He knows how powerful Obi-Wan is and considering how he overestimated himself on Mustafar and it ended very badly for him then he was bound to take a more cautious approach. Add to that Obi-Wan's defensive posture to buy time.

There is no reason to believe that if he had to that Obi-Wan couldn't do the exact same to a hallway of Stormtroopers what Vader did to the Rebels.

For all that the Rogue One crew and the Rebels did the end reason why the Death Star was destroyed is Vader's disdain for the Death Star. They had the plans but let them go to find the hidden Rebel base.

Terrible move really because without them the Rebels couldn't have found the point of entry to even attempt to destroy the reactor.

Jcuk and oncafar like this.
  2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    But if we're following through on the Anakin/Vader character continuity, Anakin was eager to take on Dooku a second time in ROTS after his loss to him in AOTC. Vader's ignited saber, and "I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan," communicates that same anticipation for a rematch to me.

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes but he didn't rush in like blazes alone as in AOTC which cost him an arm. Then as Vader going like blazes against Obi-Wan REALLY didn't work out.

After 20 years he knows he really can afford another mishap on that scale. He far weaker in raw power but far smarter in using what he has. Who knows what Obi-Wan has done since?

4. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Can someone get me up to speed on what is known about why they chose to have what we all previously thought were exclusive Emperor's Royal Guards that ended up being on Mustafar guarding Vader?

Me personally -- that might be one of my only complaints about R1 since I Loved the film. But surely given Gareth's love for the GFFA and reverence for easter eggs he has to have been asked about it -- and perhaps provided an answer. Or maybe Pablo did.

Would love some context if anyone can please provide. Thanks.

Lt. Hija and Avnar like this.
  5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Vader is at his most vulnerable. Royal guards fit the occasion IMO.

Krueger and oncafar like this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Vader is deputy to Palps in terms of the Sith, who better than Royal Guards to watch over what is simply the Empires Crown Prince. It's the populace who are unaware of the line of power, so there's no need for an explanation.

7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I like that explanation.

But seeing those royal guards there made it feel like Vader is never allowed a private moment completely away from Palpatine or his personal guards - because those are still Palpatine's guards, not Vader's 501st.
    In Legends he used to only trust droids around him whenever he was at his most vulnerable, but in the new canon it seems to be different. He even has a human servant seeing him while he is still taking a bath.

Well I guess he just doesn’t care.

Django Fett and oncafar like this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't think of that, but I like that thought. That Vader is under constant surveillance from his master. It speaks of the distrust between Sith.

La Calavera and Django Fett like this.
  9. Jedi Battlemaster Drallig

Jedi Battlemaster Drallig Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 23, 2017
    Vader

Brutal. Awe-inspiring.

There never was a better, more powerful comeback

He represents all that is the dark side of The Force, and then some

Jim Smith, oncafar and Avnar like this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I think there was also a recent comic which implied that an order similar to Order 66 existed for Vader. I think someone posted a panel where he asks a Stormtrooper (still in clone trooper uniform) about that, and when the trooper hesitated, Vader killed him.

Vialco and oncafar like this.
  11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Great film! But this is one of the only things I would change...

Maybe I am pulling this out of thin air...but can anyone confirm - Do the Royal Guards do their training on Mustafar?? I have no idea where I got this idea from but it is burnt into my brain. [face_thinking]

12. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Vader is the most important entity in the Emperors life. Bar none. Having two of his own personal guards be there to 'protect' Vader when he is healing and at his most vulnerable makes perfect sense. I mean, just what were people expecting? a couple of Stormtroopers exchanging idle chatter and occasionally scratching their arses? ;)

ZodaEX and Vialco like this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Gary from Robot Chicken, I imagine.

Jcuk likes this.
  14. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Django Fett wrote

Vader is deputy to Palps in terms of the Sith, who better than Royal Guards to watch over what is simply the Empires Crown Prince. It's the populace who are unaware of the line of power, so there's no need for an explanation.

So why didn't red Royal Guards watch over him aboard the Executor in ESB?

Probability is high that aboard this 11 mile long ship there might be Rebel spies trying to assasinate him there, IMHO he's is far more vulnerable aboard the Executor than Mustafar, yet there are only members of "Vader's Guard Corps" (costume designer's definition) protecting his chambers there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

episodenone and Avnar like this.
  15. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    You could argue though on the Executor Vader isn't in as vulnerable position(at least on film), we see him without his helmet, we don't see him without his replacement limbs in a Bactra tank.

Whilst were on the subject when did the idea of Vader needing to regenerate in a healing tank originate? I find the question interesting because to me theres a definite similuatirity between him and Miralupa, one of the badguys in Miyzaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga(not the film) who has similar powers and needs to generate in a tank. Obviously Miralupa is influenced by Vader in some respects but perhaps the reverse was true as well? that aspect of him I think dates back to 1983-84.

Django Fett likes this.
  16. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    moreorless12 wrote

You could argue though on the Executor Vader isn't in as vulnerable position(at least on film), we see him without his helmet, we don't see him without his replacement limbs in a Bactra tank.

I think there has to be a bacta tank aboard the Executor, too, especially since that's the ship Vader takes to Hoth where he practically exposes himself on the battlefield. Perhaps it's on the level below the meditation chamber (I'm certain that would also be his personal escape pod) with the red Royal Guards also acting as MDs, should something go wrong during the rejuvenation procedure.

17. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    What you could say Hija is that I think Rogue One gives a bit of a different view of Vader using the tank, to me the films protrayal tends to suggest that he's been using it for a prolonged period rather than small regular uses, I get the feeling of him almost coming out of semi hibernation when needed by the Emperor.

Django Fett and La Calavera like this.
  18. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I got that feeling too. Almost as if he is left “recharging” when he is not need, more like a machine and less like a man.

Rogue One sure emphasized how much it must suck to be Darth Vader.

oncafar likes this.
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Well, Obi-Wan did say in ROTJ that Vader was more machine than man.

20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I still can't believe we got two of the best Vader moments ever put on film...and they came from a spin off! =D= Great job.

When I heard he was only in it for a few minutes I was worried (like the PT in regards to suited Vader) that we still would't get the Vader we have been promised for the last couple of decades...but this was definitely a case of "less is more". I think (If it is still on the cards) they should combine the Boba Fett film with a Vader film. Two birds/1 stone and all that. Set between ANH and TESB, have a brand new protagonist (Dash Rendar anyone?? :D ) and have Boba Fett as the antagonist - But with Vader calling the shots! Hell, you could even squeeze Jabba the Hutt in there! Good lord - Sooo many opportunities.

Vialco likes this.
  21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    force users spend a lot of time meditating anyway... vader just does a lot of his meditating in a bacta tank... [face_worried]

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The only line from JEJ's delivery in R1 that actually irks me is "DYYYYYYYrector Krennic..."

23. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Fair enough that the Emperor would offer his personal guard to protect Vader while in a Bacta tank. I can see that -- even though I would have suspected Vader would train his own personal guard himself. Perhaps rather than be an Inquisitor - you could be a Vader Guard. I would have preferred they suited up 2 original costumes for this and offered another layer into the mythos. Vader, as a Sith, must always be wary of his master lest the apprentice becomes too powerful, or perhaps if Sidious is training a replacement -- why not have the 2 personal guard with their own version of Order 66?
    I thought the Sith were always on the lookout for a sneak attack -- and having and training his own personal flunkies seems a better idea that the Royal Guardsmen.

Thus, I still think Gareth had to have gotten the idea from somewhere or discussed it with LFL etc - and settled on it. I just want to hear an official comment.

As for the Executor -- I agree with the above comment that he was only in there with his helmet off -- not dangling limbless in a Bacta tank. He still can use the force to defend himself --- but it's much more risky.

24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If I remember correctly, isn't it just meant to be a meditation chamber on the Executor. Vader is in his suit only minus the helmet. Where as in the Bacta tank at his castle on Mustafar, he is essentially naked. No suit, what's left of his upper and lower limbs are tied to keep him upright. He's extremely vulnerable in that state. Hence the Emperors guards keeping studious watch over him.

Vialco and themoth like this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It can be argued that on the Executor, Vader is surrounded by thousands of Imperial troops and there aren't any real chance of outsiders getting to him when he is vulnerable. On Mustafar there are the lava facilities operated by the Mustafarians and what ever others we aren't currently aware of, there aren't legions of Stormtroopers and battalions of Imperial Navy troopers.

May be Vader's real security on Mustafar is secrecy and in that only Royal Guards can be trusted.

themoth, TCF-1138 and PCCViking like this.