main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Vader in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Charon Lefleur, Jul 8, 2015.

1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Would it be too nerdy to say in political tweets "That's not Vader, that's Vanee his butler"?

Gigoran Monk and Krueger like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    A lot of politicos are nerds, so go for it.

Also, it's far too easy to imagine Trump soaking in an evil bacta tank. That upsets me.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

This is great! :D

4. Jim Smith

Apr 5, 2017

I absolutely love how Vader looks and the way that his cape and inner robe is blowing in the wind when he's looking at the Tantive IV leave for hyperspace. Many people have complained/whined that that is not scientifically accurate but neither is having sound in space. ;)

5. Jim Smith

Apr 5, 2017

The great thing about Vader in Rogue One was that he was used sparingly but the more I think about a Vader movie the more I like it. :D

ZY-Fighter and La Calavera like this.
  6. Jim Smith

Apr 5, 2017

The original Vader voice in the original Star Wars movie will always be the best!

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Nah, Vader's voice in Rebels Is the best, hands down...

8-}

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Who gives a rat's damn? This is Star Wars.

9. Jim Smith

Apr 5, 2017

Exactly! :D

10. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Talk about choking on your aspirations.

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm glad that Vader used tutaminis in the film!

Vialco likes this.
  12. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Sounds painful. Maybe that's why he was in the tank.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Jim Smith it is against forum rules to stack multiple posts in a row like you did above. Either edit your posts together, using the edit button, or wait until someone else posts before posting again.

14. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    Regarding Vader's "choke" pun: I was shocked to hear that some people forget that Vader is supposed to have a sick sense of humour. Almost as if they have seen the OT so many times that they became numb to the shade he throws constantly throughout the films.

15. Jim Smith

Apr 5, 2017

You know my experiences with forums through the years has led me to believe that there's too many damn rules. I'm an impassioned Star Wars fan posting multiple messages about certain things, I just don't see why that is frowned upon.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Because users used to abuse it and spam the threads, so the rule was put in effect years ago, and is not going to change. If you have a problem following rules, you won't do well here. The choice is yours.

17. Jim Smith

Apr 5, 2017

I guess that I can see your point about spammers but my posts clearly aren't spam. I just have a lot to say when I first get to message boards.

18. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Fight the Power Jimmy.

It makes me laugh when forum mods take their job so seriously and are always so quick to enforce the law, even when it's something ridiculously minor.

19. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Vader's slow mo walk up to Krennic gives me chills every time. The sound of his footsteps and just the way he's walking with the music is perfect. I actually had tears the first time I saw this scene.

ZY-Fighter and Jim Smith like this.
  20. Jim Smith

Apr 5, 2017

A question for everybody. Don't ya just love Vader's pleated tunic? I know that I do! :D The Vader of Rogue One is awesome all the way around! :D

21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i think all of this just boils down to the illusion of the villain. the villain can't win in the story, and so the story needs to make him look powerful (or clever, or... whatever the villains attributes) while also not allowing him to succeed and also trying to hide from the viewer that the villain's multiple failures just make him look like an overall failure. in some movies it can be so bad that the villain doesn't really even seem to have the character attributes which make him formidable that he's supposed to have. so in watching one must kind of pretend that the villain is actually formidable except all of these misc. things got in his way. one of the things i love in ESB is how vader's incompetent officers are the thing getting in his way. it's a great way to cause vader to fail without diminishing his character attributes.

and in vader's case one can always sub in "anakin" for some of his failures, or sub in how his desires don't exactly match the emperor's. and really i suspect vader is not really in the emperor's good graces for much of the OT. i'm sure the emperor blames him for the destruction of the death star, for instance.

and i guess one of the points is that anakin/vader thought that if he was powerful enough he could get everything he wanted and shape the galaxy into what he wants and so on... but he's always left drowning in his power. yes, he's unbelievably powerful, but... it never gets him anywhere. and the end of RO really showed this as vader is left watching the tantive iv fly off and it's like he wants that ship so badly, he wants those plans back, and he has incredible power... but he can't get what he wants. which i'm sure only fuels his rage. i feel like that scene of him watching it fly off is almost symbolic of vader in general. though i've explained it poorly.

but the villain is always an illusion.

Darth Mikey likes this.
  22. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015

No, you've explained it well. For how powerful Vader is, his goals seem to keep slipping through his fingers.

ANH - the trench run : " I have you now! ". ... Vader DOES have Luke, dead to rights, targeted, and he fires a volley at him ... and completely misses? And it's not cause of the Tie blowing up next to him - that happens AFTER he let loose his volley. I've speculated in another thread that I felt by this point the Force was, for lack of a better term, abandoning the Dark Side. Or at least not as strong with the Dark as it was, and is swinging back towards the light. The old greeting comes to mind , "May the Force be with you." . What if, just cause you're connected to the Force, doesn't mean it's always with you? I mean, really, why would the Jedi use that saying with each other? Shouldn't the Force ALWAYS be with them?

I've always felt starting with ANH ( and now RO) that the Force has begun to tip again towards the light side, and was no longer as strongly with the Sith, hence Vader's string of failures. Even Palpatine failed at Endor, failing to see a future current in the Force that would forsee his death and Vader's turn. This was a guy who has been shown numerous times in the EU as meditating on the currents of the Force to see all possible future's and outcomes, to pick what choices to make. Yet he couldn't forsee the most important one of all?

So, yes, I feel Vader is frustrated and full of rage as RO closes, as yet another objective slipped through his fingers. And it's only going to get worse.

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    For those who complain about how JEJ's voice sounds "old" in Rogue One: Nah. If you listen to ANH, compared to ESB and RotJ, he has more of a "growl" to his voice in ANH; that same "growl" is present in Rogue One.

24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'm sorry. It has to be said again. That Vader scene at the end is absolutely brilliant! I just watched it for the 10th time and it is about as good as SW has ever got (or likely too) :vader::redsaber:

25. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Something I've just noticed watching A New Hope after Rogue One is that it makes the conference scene even more interesting, because Motti's taunting of Vader not being able to find the stolen data tapes is a lot more effective when you see how close he came to getting them back in R1.