main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Woody Harrelson (Tobias Beckett) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

No it isn't. Retconning Han Solo, as a Character who stole someone elses look, is lame. [face_plain]

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Seems like a rather trivial thing. And it doesn't need to be labeled a "retcon." It's simple character-building. Not to mention that very few people are wholly original in their choice of attire. If he was emulating on old legend, so what? Doesn't diminish him at all. Just adds a layer.

And if this film doesn't add layers to Han, what's it for?

11-4D and GregMcP like this.
  3. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

Han Solo is so cool and charismatic, as portrayed by Ford, that I don't see him as a follower. He doesn't need to copy someone else, because he has his own naturally cool style. [face_dunno]

4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Huh. Lando might be cool in that way. Han is much more of a hothead, though he "has his moments" as Leia says. He's prickly, defensive, flies off the handle a lot (shooting his blaster at the trash compactor room on the DS), over-confident, proud and insecure (note his lie to 3PO about knowing about the power coupling). That hints at far more than a cool and charismatic guy. And certainly, in my experience, the type of person who might emulate a badass from his youth. An emulation that makes him feel more confident, and less insecure about his skills, or lack thereof. Like a young hotshot cowboy putting on the walk and look of an old legend. Or a schoolyard kid donning the look of James Dean.

In this way, Han may be a cooler (and better-intentioned) version of his son...

5. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

When I say Han Solo is cool, I don't mean that he is constantly stoic. You point out flaws. Yeah, he can be upset and emotional; but he is allowed that, because he is human after all. But you left out examples that prove Han Solo is as cool a character as they come: Handling Greedo at the cantina - flying into dangerous asteroid field, and other great piloting moments - protecting Luke from hyperthermia by putting him inside tauntaun - his swagger and cool talk. These things make him much more of a cool Character than Lando, or most other Characters in Cinema history. He is up there with Vader. I don't want to argue with you though. This is just my opinion; and you are entitled to yours. [face_peace]

6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I didn't leave those examples out. As I said, Han "has his moments" of cool and cunning. And one of the moments you mentioned is exactly what precipitated that line from Leia....

I am just saying that Han's flaws, as portrayed in the OT, make it highly believable to me that he would have emulated, in one way or another, some other legendary cool dude. So why not the outfit? It would fit his character like a glove. Literally and figuratively.

Though you don't have to like that, of course. That's your prerogative. But if we are going to enjoy this film, we may want to set aside our rose-colored versions of the OT characters, and take another look at them. They're a lot less shiny than we give Lucas credit for.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  7. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

Fair enough. But I still wont like it if they end up having Han Solo steal from Woody's Character. [face_talk_hand] :p

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Have you ever been around someone that started dressing like their boss? or their buddy?
    It's weird, and shows (to me) a poser-esq lack of cool. I don't think they would do that to Han.

As I said earlier, if anyone is going to "style" Han up, it's going to be Lando.

Like Woody tells Lando to take him somewhere to get some legit clothes and says, "put it on my account"
    Queue the scene from Django/Dumb and Dumber with Han trying on clothes. Han makes out with his signature look, Lando gets a year's supply of capes and large lapel-ed shirts.

CT-867-5309, Baron_Papanerd and Sarge like this.
  9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Of course we all know what happens to mentors in SW movies.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If he ends up lacking individual coolness, and is shown to get his fashion sense from someone else, just remember that this film takes place back when he was Han Group Member before he became Han Solo.

Gigoran Monk and fishtailsam like this.
  11. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Here's my theory about how he will become Han's mentor:

Movie starts with Han's childhood in the early days of the Empire. During the first Imperial occupation of Corellia, Han's parents are killed by stormtroopers and Woody Harrelson's character shows up to tell Han "Come with me if you wanna live, boy!". Then fastforward.

It's like a combination of Jyn's story in Rogue One and Peter Quill's in Guardians of the Galaxy.

12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I"m expecting Harrelson's character to tell Han, "always shoot first".

starocean90 likes this.
  13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Lando did it.

:p

starocean90 and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  14. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

Ha! Lando wearing Han's shirt and vest at the end of ESB. Shame on Lando. Not a good look. [face_laugh]

starocean90 likes this.
  15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I thought Kasdan said he didn't have any interest going into Han's childhood or talking about his parents? I can't find the interview but I'm pretty positive he said that.

17. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    It seems Harrelson just revealed his character's name....it's Beckett.

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Feel like I've heard that name before..o_O From another movie or something.... Lord Beckett.. Hmm., Gotta look it up..

Edit: FOUND HIM! [​IMG]

19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Well it's no Bosk but I like it.

20. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I have a feeling that Beckett will be the Jack Sparrow of the GFFA.

21. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Reminds me too much of Beckett on Castle.

22. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    edgar allan POE and samuel BECKETT...raven leader waiting for solo..

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    For all we know, we might see that Han chooses to dress the way he does because he wanted to be DIFFERENT from his mentor, if perhaps things went sour between them at some point. Kind of how when people grow up and have kids, they always swear that as parents they won't do certain things their parents did. Maybe it could be something like that? At any rate there's just as much chance of that being the case as him "emulating" Beckett...Which I'll admit I wouldn't be against either really...

24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    can't wait to find out that Han is a clone of Beckett.:p

25. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017
    I have to say that I would've preferred Christian Bale over Woody Harrelson any day of the week but I'm still looking more forward to this young Han Solo movie than I am Episodes 8 or 9.