Official *** I've seen the movie, here are my thoughts**** thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Missninfan, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
  1. Saxman777 Jedi Youngling

DamonD, your post was quite welcome and refreshing!! I appreciate the depth of your response, as it has made me think about things before I watch the movie again sometime soon on my computer.

You know what, I agree with all that you said about the clone/droid battle. There were a lot of great elements in there. What bothered me though, what made it lose its magic and real OT Star Wars feel was the fact that it was ALL masked men, droids, and big machines rolling around. No faces, no characters involved in the actual ground fight for more than brief 3 second shots. Yes, I loved the CGI of the federation ship getting shot down in midair, and the dust battle that ensued was really cool. It just moved so much faster and less focused than any battle in the other movies. All the others had at least some main characters involved in the actual battle. Luke in Yavin and Hoth, Han/Lando etc in Endor , Jar Jar in Naboo. Al the main characters in this film were outside the battle except for a few brief comands from Yoda, and thus George had no real way to personalize the battle and give it real drama. I don't know, that's just what held me back from getting into the battle at all, the lack of any heavy main character involvement.

I think I'll look closely into the background during the arena battle for those badass Jedi. I'm sure they are there, but my question is....why were they hidden in the background and not in the forefront?? Why did we have to see all these hokey Jedi acting like children? That was the one things that got to me during that scene......took the respect level for Jedi down a few notches for me.

I watched the Sam Jackson scenes again today and realize that unless you watch closely, his fighting isn't THAT bad. But are you able to notice at all that he swings or moves his saber as if deflecting laser bolts, but that none are actually headed towards him or deflected sometimes? It happened a few times in the arena battle and happened for a few brief instants in the scene on the Kamino platform near the start of the ObiWan/Jango Fett fight. A minor issue, but a distracting one nonetheless.

Those were really great points you made about the Obi Wan/Dooku Anakin/Dooku fights. Especially about Obi-Wan learning much since TPM and conserving his energy/buying time for Anakin to recooperate. Those perfectly clear up the scene for me and I'm willing to give Lucas the benefit of the doubt for that scene :) And since you cleared up that part for me, now the whole scene is cleared up (save the delayed arm-chop stuff) 'cause I liked the Anakin/Dooku fight for the most part anyway.

So thanks for the feedback! I will look for the things you mentioned next time I watch the movie.

Thanks for taking the time to match the length if my post ;-)
  2. foxbatkllr Jedi Knight

star 6
    DamonD, I thoroughly enjoyed your post.
  3. smauldookie Jedi Knight

star 5
  4. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

And Saxman777, I'm glad I didn't read you wrong. You didn't seem like someone with a closed mind on the subject.

One more thing I'd like to add about the clone trooper/droid battle at the end - it did feel faceless, didn't it? We couldn't recognise or identify anyone apart from the Jedi.

That's because it's meant to be like that. That's one of the opressions of the future Empire. No individualism, no identity. Faceless soliders fighting and dying as ordered. It's pretty chilling, when you think about it, even if the clone troopers were fighting to stop the Seperatists.

The Republic Army, the future Empire, is comprised of members that will be viewed as completely expendable. The Emperor and Vader won't care, because they can just create more.

Lifeless droid soliders fighting against...lifeless clone soldiers.
    darskpine10 likes this.
  5. smauldookie Jedi Knight

star 5
    yeah it's pretty sad when you think about it. :(
  6. Saxman777 Jedi Youngling

Wow, you are like the Master Yoda of the symbolism of AOTC, saying "Cleeeeeeeeear your mind" and "You must unleeeeeeeeeeeeearn what you have learned" I still have serious doubts about AOTC as awhole, (see my post here
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9921836&replies=17 ) but you have verymuch smoothed over a number of sketchy scenes with me! Thanks for the opinion
  7. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm off to bed now, but I'll take a look at your other topic tomorrow.

I'm glad if I've been able to help, and thanks for taking the time to put your points across so maturely.
  8. Saxman777 Jedi Youngling

OK, sounds good, talk to you tomorrow
  9. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Sorry Saxman777, that other topic has been locked now.

I don't know if I can answer your remaining points well enough - the lack of bolts for Mace to deflect seems to be an ILM problem, not suprising considering the billions of laser blasts flying all over the place.

And I can't defend the hokey Jedi :D I just didn't worry about it too much. Some of them got a little too carried away, heh.
  10. senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling

star 2
    The movie was great. I think the thing thats missing from prequel movies is authenticity. There's no authenticity to a movie composed of 80% cgi. This is why I will never like any prequel better than the OT. No matter how good cgi looks, its never legit. You can't argue with that.
  11. sono-jedi Jedi Youngling

DamonD...was reading this thread at work today (Hey...I was on break!:) and one of your comments made me want to respond...repectfully of course.
    You were discussing how you felt the final battle scenes were lacking in AOTC because they didn't seem to center on the heroes...it was all masked players involved.
    For me, that's the most chilling fact of all..the true culmination of Obi-Wan's seperate journey in the film. He stumbles upon the discovery that SOMEONE commissioned this LIVING army...created by a race with no apparant ethical dilemma about what they're doing...stripping these clones of their childhood and of any real individuality so they can only serve one purpose...just like the battledroids in Episode One (& the arena in AOTC)....after several veiwings, the andrenline of that clone battle has died down to where the shock sets in that the droids, the clones...they're basically the same thing. With each businesslike intonation of a clone during those scenes, a sadness sets in that THIS IS the beginning of the Empire...the start of the faceless, grey conforming dull sameness....one of the things I'm SO looking forward to is seeing this story unfold from Epsiode One through Six...and not just for the Skywalker saga...but how an Empire was formed.
    You're right...the skirmishes in the classic films DO have a face on them...and well they should...it's a REBELLION to get away from the dull sameness we're watching overtake the galaxy in these prequel films.
    Just thought I'd offer an alternative view for your consideration....
  12. foxbatkllr Jedi Knight

star 6
    Actually, sono, I believe DamonD was trying to make the same point you are.
  13. hippie1kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I, too, was expecting Obi-Wan to come out blazing away like in TPM. But something odd happened, the guy seemed to finally have worked out how best to win a fight. He didn't waste energy, he didn't overcommit himself. He fought with a skill that I hadn't seen in TPM, despite his high-energy athleticism in that film

I agree with this idea completely. Although he still shows some recklessness and arrogance in this film, he's lost most of the twirly, spinning shennagins of his style in TPM.

There is a great site that someone linked to a while ago that looked at the duels of the saga (first 4 films anyway) through the point of view of kendo(sp?) and other similar martial arts. One article examins how Obi-Wans lightsabre style really reflects his recklessness hinted at in ESB. It points out the waste of energy and focus that all his twirling represents and goes as far to suggest that at one point he had a shot at Maul and could have saved Qui-Gon if he didn't waste time twirling his sabre at the wrong moment.
  14. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah sono-jedi, I totally agree with you :)
  15. Everton Force Ghost

star 10
    This is a great thread to read! All because of this thread on the JCC...an excellent idea!

Thanks Quixotic-Sith!
  16. PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight

star 5
    Yeah this is quite entertaining to read the reactions to AotC.

I didn't even realize that there were people who though Yoda looked terrible in the trailer. I got the impression that everyone thought he looked wonderful. Interesting.
  17. Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've just saved all the pages of this. Long job, but worth it. :)
  18. ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    "The movie was great. I think the thing thats missing from prequel movies is authenticity. There's no authenticity to a movie composed of 80% cgi. This is why I will never like any prequel better than the OT. No matter how good cgi looks, its never legit. You can't argue with that. "

I love AOTC, but I agree somewhat with this post. TPM was a good blend of live action and CG but it may have gone a bit overboard. I still love it though. After I saw it the first time, I didn't even remember the love story (Thank God).
  19. Ekenobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I respect what everyone is saying but I am a big CGI guy. I love that Lucas is able to use this medium to be able to realize his vision. I think the battle of Yavin and Endor would have benefitted more with CGI.
  20. JediHPDrummer Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm really sick of people bashing CGI. It just doesnt make sense in my opinion. Film is ART, so when you look at a Van Gogh painting or a Monet painting, do those look real? No they dont, Film is an ILLUSION. For me, Episode 2 had beautiful CGI. If your talking about episode 2 looking realistic, i think it did a pretty darn good job being that 93 percent of the movie was digital. But people need something to argue about like always, and they will take it out on CGI. It's ART
    Prisic Duskleap likes this.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.