main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Knights of the Old Republic (Video Games) and the EU Thread (KOTORII Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by masterskywalker, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, Bane makes a big deal about how the Darth title, specifically, has long been a source of competition-- hence Kaan gladly making everyone Dark Lords, but banning the Darth title. Exactly why it never occurred to Kaan not just to do what Krayt's done: give everyone the Darth title, is completely beyond me. I can only conclude Kaan was, in fact, a dimwit.

However, I prefer to think that there was a reason why Kaan didn't just do what Krayt has done, and why the holocrons have condemned Krayt and labelled his a pretender. XoXaan couldn't care less, but XoXaan may have been before the Darth title. On that basis, I tend to assume that the Darth title carries a certain history.

If you just want to stroke your own ego, "I am LORD [X]!" is more than enough.

Darth is more likely just to raise eyebrows with most people anyway. The comments by some of the GAG to Caedus were spot on with how none of them really understood why Jacen had changed his name, other than that it was some old fashioned religious mumbo jumbo. "Darth", in essence, is meaningless to someone who doesn't understand why it's so special.

I assume by going "I am DARTH [X]!" the only reason you'd even do it would be if you understood what made the word so special. The same sort of reasoning can be seen if you think about real life terms, really. If I ever went on a dictatorial rampage, I'd much rather declare myself King or Emperor than I would Czar or whatever. Czar doesn't really hold much meaning to me other than "Isn't that some Russian thing?" whereas I understand terms like King or Emperor. Even Kaiser, which I know is just German for Emperor, I wouldn't use.

I figure the same logic applies to Sith: Lord is easily understood as self-aggrandizement. And not just by yourself: by your subjects too. Throughout the Republic though, many may think "Darth? What does that actually mean again?" I think Krayt was lucky to live in an era where Darth Vader had really given the title a public significance. In many eras though it probably was less iconic and just "Some strange Sith thing".

Which could be said to make Krayt's use of it a rather amusing, as you could almost say his Sith Order is just doing what so many OOU fanbois do when they all call themselves Darth this and Darth that without having any clue what it really means (because OOU none of us actually understand why Darth is really important, other than just "It's that cool thing Sith do!"). :p

In universe though, Krayt presumably may not be aware of the full history of the title, but is just doing it to "emulate other Sith" without actually understanding what it really meant to those Sith-- hence many of them attacking him over it. Which brings me back to the point about Kaan and how Darth seems to be synonymous with declaring "I AM THE BEST!" which doesn't really leave much room for equals. An apprentice who shall one day become your equal? Sure, exceptions can be allowed. But a word that in ancient Sith might translate as "The First" or something for all we know may be seen as a bit silly when handed out willy nilly.

But, there is perhaps something appropriate about the idea that if Darth does mean "The first among equals" that given the One Sith are basically all meant to be extensions of Krayt's will that perhaps his top Sith Lords are all Darths because they are all "him", so to speak. Does that make sense? He is not violating the principle of "Darth is only for the top" because they are all One Sith, they are all him, so to speak.

Unlike Kaan, who had he handed the Darth title out like candy it wouldn't have been because they are all "extensions of Kaan and so all One Sith" but just because he was genuinely willing to allow there to be multiple Number 1s, without the philosophical justification that Krayt developed.

2. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    [image=http://www.bloomilk.com/Images/Characters/20JA03.jpg]
    Miniature of the Jedi Exile. Looks like she is wearing a mask, but at least we have a "canon" hair color.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Unless its a hat.

Still, it will be very interesting when we get a better look at the model.

4. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    We know from that already then that (unless if it's a hat as MercenaryAce suggested) the hair is black and the skin is caucassian, so there wouldn't be much difference showing a low-detail face. I don't know why they couldn't have just used black gloves...

It also looks like they may have based it off of Wookieepedia's image (which is now canonical). Exact same robe, same lightsaber color, legs are posed in the same way, cape is draped the same way, the arms are posed nearly the same way...
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/5e/Exilefemale2.jpg]

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hurrah to Wookieepedia! Originator of trakatanon! [face_tired]

In this case, admittedly, I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence though given both are pretty generic looks. Honestly I don't know why they don't just go with something original, even if not in the game. I mean, Revan at least has his cool Sith outfit for artwork. The Exile has zip. Plain brown Jedi robes? Boooriing.

I'd rather they just gave her her own thing. Bright glow in the dark pink. Whatever. Throw in gloves, a mask or a veil and you don't need to iron down any details other than her dress sense.

6. Red-emption

Red-emption Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2008
    Why did I use that awful head? I could have used my modded red-headed one and probably gotten that canonized. Damn it all...

7. DarthRevan211

DarthRevan211 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2008
    http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1462/dsc03556w.jpg

For anyone looking for a better image. It's pretty clear that she is either asian or caucasian and that she has dark brown or (if you stretch it) black hair. The hair style is actually extremely similar to my Exile http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Faces_of_the_exile.png (left, 2nd from bottom), so I'm happy.

8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Haircolor looks more like red-brown to me ;)
    As for the skin, I'd say caucasian. Would look extremely pale for an asian.

Those legs are huge, the proportions look a bit off, especially compared to the battlemaster and crusader figures.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I think Asians often look just as pale as Caucasians....sometimes more so.

What I thought was more interesting is the marks under her eyes...I wonder what that was about....

Though truly I am disappointed she didn't end up with a face concealing version of the Hat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.