main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    The Official Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

United States release date: 29 August 2006

[image=http://starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/img/20060609_bg.jpg]

Legacy of the Force II: Bloodlines, by Karen Traviss

A new era of exciting adventures and shocking revelations continues to unfold, as the legendary Star Wars saga sweeps forward into astonishing new territory.

Civil war looms as the fledgling Galactic Alliance confronts a growing number of rebellious worlds?and the approaching war is tearing the Skywalker and Solo families apart. Han and Leia return to Han?s homeworld, Corellia, the heart of the resistance. Their children, Jacen and Jaina, are soldiers in the Galactic Alliance?s campaign to crush the insurgents.

Jacen, now a complete master of the Force, has his own plans to bring order to the galaxy. Guided by his Sith mentor, Lumiya, and with Luke?s young son Ben at his side, Jacen embarks on the same path that his grandfather Darth Vader once did. And while Han and Leia watch their only son become a stranger, a secret assassin entangles the couple with a dreaded name from Han?s past: Boba Fett. In the new galactic order, friends and enemies are no longer what they seem. . . .

Bloodlines Dramatis Personae

Barit Saiy (Corellian male)
    Ben Skywalker (Human male)
    Boba Fett, Mandalore and semi-retired bounty hunter (Human male)
    Cal Omas, Chief of State, Galactic Alliance (Human male)
    Cha Niathal, Admiral, Galactic Alliance (Mon Calamari female)
    Goran Beviin, Mandalorian soldier (Human male)
    G'vli G'Sil, Coruscanti Senator, head of the Galactic Alliance Security Council (Human male)
    Han Solo, captain, Millennium Falcon (Human male)
    Heol Girdun, captain, Galactic Alliance Guard (Human male)
    Jacen Solo, Jedi Knight (Human male)
    Jaina Solo, Jedi Knight (Human female)
    Jori Lekauf, corporal, Galactic Alliance Guard (Human male)
    Leia Organa Solo, Jedi Knight, co-pilot, Millennium Falcon (Human female)
    Lon Shevu, captain, Galactic Alliance Guard (Human male)
    Luke Skywalker, Jedi Grand Master (Human male)
    Lumiya, Dark Jedi---Dark Lady of the Sith (Human female)
    Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi Master (Human female)
    Mirta Gev, bounty hunter (Human emale)
    Taun We, scientist (Kaminoan female)
    Thrackan Sal-Solo (Human male)

Here's a tiny excerpt, from Sue Rostoni [link=http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=235475&start=1772]over at TOS[/link]:
    [quote=Eeuse Estornii]
    Okay, and here's a teaser.... a bit of dialogue between Han and Leia....beginning with Han:

"Okay, maybe I'll relax by asking Zekk what his intentions are towards Jaina."

"That would help matters a lot. . . "

"I liked Kyp better. Whatever happened there?" Han asked. "And what about Jag?"

"I shot him down. You know perfectly well I did."

"Oh, yeah. I do recall. And [i]I[/i] intimidate her boyfriends, do I?"
    [/quote]

Another excerpt, from the [i]Bloodlines[/i] Audiobook, has been released, available in .mp3 format here: http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/mm/audio/4s_9780739323960.mp3 This same teaser can be seen on page 13 of Insider 89.

Additionally, Karen Traviss is writing a related short story/ebook entitled [i]A Practical Man[/i], which deals with Boba Fett during the Yuuzhan Vong War.

[hr]

[u]Related discussion[/u]:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/19365190/p1/?1368]Official LotF Discussion Thread[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/24259388/p1]Bloodlines Dramatis Personae Discussion Thread[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/24090133/p1/?84]A Practical Man Discussion Thread[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/23786152/p1/?1174]Official Betrayal Discussion Thread[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/24403086/p1/?120]Bloodlines Audiobook Discussion Thread[/link]

[link=http://board

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    [Reserved]

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Really looking forward to this.:)

4. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Calling it now.. this thread will explode upon release in the Traviss bashing..

EDIT:

And this guy has a grim fate indeed.

Jori Lekauf, corporal, Galactic Alliance Guard (Human male)

5. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I sense another gruesome death for a character named after Ryan... poor fellow. :p

As for the bashing... I certainly hope not. It'd be nice to see people take the book for what it is, rather than bashing it simply because they don't like Karen or the thing's she's said/written in the past. The anti-Mandalorian crowd ought to be happy, since there's only, what, two? Mandalorians in the whole Dramatis Personae. Maybe that'll help.

- Keralys

6. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I'd be willing to bet that zombies of some sort have a hand in it.;)

One would hope so.

7. Master_Veila

Master_Veila Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 2, 2006
    Yeah, I was sad to hear that Karen refuses to come onto this site. I have only read her Insider stuff but I am 100% willing to give her a fair chance with this novel. I hope I can pick it up early at wal-mart like I did with Betrayal, it made my whole week.

8. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Actually, that Dramatis Personae produced a some complaint. Along with speculation that Ailyn Vel wouldn't be recognized in the book, which is now disproven.

9. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I'm just dropping in here to remind everyone that some of us who dislike Traviss' recent writing do for legitimate reasons, not simply because Traviss wrote it (or the clone thang). I'm fully prepared to judge Bloodlines on its own merits, just as I did with Betrayal-- another book written by someone whose writing I don't care for.

10. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Which is something I appreciate about you; without a doubt you don't fall into the category of people I was discussing in the above post. :) There are more than a few who do, unfortunately.

- Keralys

11. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Yeah, fair enough. I can't speak for everyone, just wanted to clarify. :)

12. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Didn't like Allston? Neither did I all that much. However I enjoyed Betrayal a bit. What did you think of it?

13. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I don't think I care for it very much, although I'd have to reread it before saying anything definitive.

But I did judge it on its own merits...!

14. Artanis

Artanis Jedi Master star 2

May 10, 2005
    I'm excited about this release. Good or bad, it's certainly going to spark some interesting discussion here on the boards...

15. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Oh, you can count on that...[face_mischief] :p

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

If anyone could inform me how much action this book has---or if any gun trigger got even pulled---I'd be most appreciative, thanks. As much as Travissian characterisation tastes, I can't endure a fourth actionless book.

17. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    I'm sure people will be happy to... after it's out. :p

- Keralys

18. LandosFolly

LandosFolly Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2002
    I loved Betrayal. And I like Karen Traviss. So I'm really looking forward to this.

19. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Galactic Alliance Guard? Interesting. I will be interested to see how she handles the Big 3 and other characters of post-RotJ EU, instead of characters of her own creation.

20. Artanis

Artanis Jedi Master star 2

May 10, 2005
    Yeah, me too - I'm especially interested in her characterisations of the Jedi of that era.

21. Jason-Solo

Jason-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2006
    i know this doesn't have anything to do with Bloodlines,but when and where did the info for the name of the 6th LOTF book come from?

22. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I believe that was at Comic-Con.

23. Dash_A_Solo

Dash_A_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2003
    2 questions...

i have not read any of Karen's books, so i don't have an opinion. could i get a brief description of her writing style from someone.

ALSO, what is the information regarding the name of the 6th book?

thanks in advance

24. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    It's called Inferno.

As for Karen's writing style, it can probably be best summed up as follows: very tight third-person perspective on an array (typically five) of characters, such that it's about as close to first-person POV you're going to get while still in third-person. Very sharp prose, with excellent characterization and description. If she has a weakness, it's in plotting - and that is arguable based on taste. I didn't have an issue with it, others did (more in Triple Zero than in Hard Contact in any case). If there's another area of contention it's that she's very much a fan of Mandalorians. And she doesn't go out of her way to criticize them where they're wrong, even if it's what she personally thinks; there's very little of a didactic nature in her stories. Again, I didn't find that a weakness, because I saw the flaws in each of the characters that were exposed by their thoughts, etc. as something deeper than the surface impression of it. There is a fair amount of depth to her writing, though certainly not as much as someone like Stover brings to the table - but she's also far more literal than he is, allowing the abstractions that she does indulge in to seep through quietly rather than overtly the way Stover does.

Hope that helps. :)

- Keralys

25. Lord_Zeke

Lord_Zeke Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2005
    "Taun We, scientist (Kaminoan female)"
    New clone army anyone?

As for Fett, who's the bounty on this time? Cal Omas? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.