main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Lightsaber Discussion Thread**

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by jedi-mind-trick, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Duel: ESB for sure. I like the different act's they go through, from the carbon freeze chamber to the vane control room to the wind vane itself. Very cool.

Colour: Tough one, I'd go with Windu's purple/violet. I dunno what his story is with it....can anyone describe the difference between an electrum lightsaber and a crystal lightsaber? Could that be it, consodering we've never seen another Jedi with it in the past? ?[face_plain]

And I agree that a lightsaber would go through adamantium but after some serious, directed slice work like Trade Fed. blast door.

2. VuaRapuungRules

VuaRapuungRules Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    Got booted from 'nother thread. Still wonder though...

Anyone got an idea on how it's possible you have to exert force behind slashes, carves, saberlocks and the like when it's a weapon of energy? Magnetism?

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I guess the lightsabres fall into the catagory called 'Star Wars Physics' ;)

I posted this in another 'best duel' thread, but since this is the OFFICIAl Lightsabre Discussion Thread...

Well, here are my views on my favourite lightsabre duels. I really can't rank 'em, I love them all for different reasons, so I'll settle for just explaining my views about them.

Qui-Gon vs Maul TPM (desert)
    Just a nice little teaser for the later spectacular battle, but the thrumming buzz of the lightsabres and the whirling action version of Qui-Gon's theme means this will always be a favourite sequence of mine

Qui-Gon vs Maul TPM
    After Obi-Wan is knocked down to a lower ledge, it's Qui-Gon vs Maul to the death from then on. Qui-Gon is not as fast at Obi-Wan, but he has a lovely graceful style. In the end, seperated from Obi-Wan by the laser barriers, Qui-Gon's age and stamina finally catch up with him as Maul catches him off-guard with a lightsabre hilt to the face.
    I love Qui-Gon's elbow-backhand punch that he lands on Maul, a real barroom-brawl kind of move that's a nice show of his more unconventional approach to being a Jedi. His meditation period is a cool and thoughtful touch, but the best sequence is the look on his face near the end. After another flurry of blows, we see Qui-Gon's face close-up for a second, and his expression is one of shocked fear. He knows he's in serious trouble here. Then we get the shot of Maul's face, showing raw aggression - he KNOWS he's got Qui-Gon here. Beautiful contrast. The eerie music before Qui-Gon's death is very effective.

Obi-Wan vs Maul TPM
    Sheer ferocity here. The pace of the battle leaps up, even from the fast pace of the Qui-Gon vs Maul section. Obi-Wan and Maul just tear away at each other here, in probably the fastest exchanges we'll ever see outside of CG Yoda and Dooku. Even a kick to the face fails to slow Obi-Wan down, as he turns the momentum into a backward somersault and regains his balance. Obi-Wan also has a look to similar to Qui-Gon here, after Maul manages to cartwheel over a low slash. Obi-Wan seems to be breathing heavy, mouth open, and the look in his eyes is very similar to Qui-Gon's - I'm in trouble here. The Force push is also a nice, aggressive way for Maul to end the fight without being able to overcome Obi-Wan in terms of sheer swordsmanship. The absence of music in this whole sequence also reflects a basic tenant of the battle - nothing else matters, it's all about the battle between these two.

Obi-Wan vs Dooku AOTC
    I was suprised by Obi-Wan here but, on reflection, not in a bad way. He still has the speed of his youth, as indicated by his first series of moves against Dooku, but he no longer wastes as much energy in battle. He makes very little in the way of offensive moves against Dooku, but in turn is able to hold the more skilled ex-Jedi at bay. His only mistake was to get drawn into a battle of strength over locked blades, one in which Dooku proves much stronger than expected and is easily able to turn his blade around. Dooku's cuts to the arm and leg are pretty sneaky, but a good display of his control over his lightsabre, rather than needing big sweeping slashes to take someone out. More confidence from Obi-Wan could have helped his chances here, but the injury to Anakin seems to play on his mind a little and he's caught out with a strength test that he should've chosen to withdraw from.

Anakin vs Dooku AOTC
    Anakin shouldn't last long at all here. He's a 10-year Padawan, without even having had training in the ways of the Force since a little kid. Unlike the other Jedi Padawans, he never had Master Yoda as a teacher for many years. His preferred style of attack over defence is a bad match for someone so skilled in lightsabre combat as Dooku.
    However, despite all these disadvantages, Anakin is able to push Dooku harder than expected. He really isn't at the level to fight with two lightsabres at once, so it's no suprise that Dooku dispaches one of those so quickly, but he is nearly able to wear Dooku down before freezing up

4. JediMaster41589

JediMaster41589 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    the known forms for lightsabre battle are:
    Form I
    Millennia before the Clone Wars, advanced technology replaced metal swords with energy beam lightsabers. In this transition the first From was born. Jedi Masters created From I from ancient sword-fighting traditions, since the principles of blade combat remained much the same. The basics of attack, parry, body target zones, and the practice drills called velocities are all here.

Note: Young Jedi still begin their training by learning Form I

Form II
    The ultimate refinement of lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat became Form II, advancing the precision of blade manipulation to its finest possible degree and producing the greatest dueling master the galaxy has ever seen. To Form II is an archaism studied by almost no one in the Jedi Order, because it is not relevant to current tactical situations, in which Jedi enemies rarely fight with lightsabers. Even with the resurgence of the Sith, confrontation of an enemy with a lightsaber is an exceedingly rare prospect for a Jedi, so they continue to focus on more practical Forms. Sith expecting to battle lightsaber-wielding Jedi, however, find Form II a powerful technique.

Note: Form II is the chosen discipline of the Machiavellian Separatist Count Dooku, who wields it to devastating effect. His utterly precise moves overwhelm Jedi who are not accustomed to the special requirements of lightsaber dueling with Form II. Dooku holds his own even against master Yoda.

Form III
    The third great lightsaber discipline was first developed in response to the advancement of blaster technology in the galaxy. As these weapons spread widely into the hands of evil-doers, the Jedi had to develop unique means of defending themselves. Form III thus arose from "laserblast" deflection training. Over the centuries it has transcended this origin to become a highly refined expression of non-aggressive Jedi philosophy. Form III maximizes defensive protection in a style characterized by tight, efficient movements that expose minimal target area compared to the relatively open style of some of the other forms.
    Obi Wan Kenobi took up a dedication to Form III after the death of Qui-Gon Jinn (who favored form IV), since it was apparent to Kenobi that Jinn's defense was insufficient against the Sith techniques of Darth Maul. True Form III masters are considered invincible. Even in his elder years, Kenobi remains a formidable From III practitioner.

Form IV
    Form IV is the most acrobatic Form, heavily emphasizing Jedi abilities to run, jump, and spin in phenomenal ways by using the Force. Masters of Form IV incorporate all of the ways in which the Force helps them go beyond what is physically possible. Their lightsaber combat is astonishing to watch, filled with elaborate moves in the center of which a Jedi may be all but a blur. Yoda, with his deep emphasis on the Force in all things, is a Form IV master. Form IV was also the chosen discipline of Qui-Gon Jinn and the early choice of his apprentice, Obi Wan Kenobi.

Note: Obi Wan Kenobi and Qui Gon Jinn employ acrobatic Form IV work during their battle against Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace

Form V
    During an era when Jedi and Sith were called upon to more actively maintain the peace in the galaxy maintain the peace in the galaxy, Form V arose alongside Form IV to address a need for greater power among the Jedi. Jedi Master who felt that Form III could be too passive developed Form V. A Form III master might be undefeatable, but neither could he necessarily overcome his enemy. Form V focuses on strength and lightsaber attack moves. This From exploits the ability of the lightsaber to block a blaster bolt and turns this defensive move into an offensive attack by deflecting the bolt deliberately towards an opponent. A dedication to the power and strength necessary to defeat and enemy characterizes the philosophy of Form V, which some Jedi refer to by the maxim "peace through superior firepower" To some Jedi Knights, Form V represents a worthy discipline prepared for any threat; to ot

5. Darth-Protius

Darth-Protius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Darthattorney, Mace's Lightsaber is called an electrum lightsaber because of its gold colour, not because it differs internally from a regular crystal lightsaber. It is a crystal lightsaber. There is nothing special about it other than the gold casing, and the purple crystal.

I've thought about it, and the conclusion i've come to is that the Purple Crystal in Mace's Lightsaber must be syntheticlly made, much like the red crystal of a Sith's lightsaber.

It is the only explination for it, otherwise there would be more purple lightsabers. (I know all about SLJ wanting a different blade color. Im talking about the SW universe here, not the whims of an actor.)

So far, the only colors we have seen have been blue and green, and that means that they might be the only natural crystals available. (we have yet to see an yellow lightsaber in a SW film. until I see one, they do not exist, IMO)

In the SWU, Mace may have a purple Lightsaber because he is a form VII practioner, and the only form VII practioner among the Jedi, at the time of the clone wars.

Form VII practioners may be allowed to construct sythetic crystals for their lightsabers, as a way of distinguishing them from other practioners, or as some kind of reward for mastering Form VII.

There ya go.

6. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    There's no way a lightsaber could cut Superman.

7. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    Perhaps on one of his missions Mace came across an exotic crystal on some unknown planet or something. The crystal turned out to be able to be used in a lightsabre, and because it is so rre we never really see another Jedi use that color. I seriously doubt it is synthetic though. Synthetic crystals are to unstable to use in lightssabres. The sith are able to use them only because they use the dark side of the force to "harmonize" the vibrations, thus making it stable. This also produces a stronger blade, and has the potential to overload the energy matrix in a normal lightsabre, effectivly breaking the blade. Although Mace's Form calls upon him to teeter on the brink of the dark side, I don't think it would be enough to do what is called upon a person trying to construct a lightsabre with a synthetic blade.

8. Darth-Protius

Darth-Protius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Its more than possible that Mace found the crystals to use in the lightsaber, instead of using the regular crystals found on the world of Ilum.

However, the Sith create their crystals in incrediblly hot ovens, and use the force to assist in the creation of the crystals.

There is no evidence however suggesting that Mace did not create his crystal. It would be a good test of a Jedi's mettle in the force to create one, and I cannot see how doing so would automatically be a Dark Side power.

We have to take into account that Mace is a member of the Jedi council, and a Master Jedi, and as so would constantly be testing his ability in the force. What better way then creating a balacned, synthetic crystal for his lightsaber.

And even if it was'nt balanced, using the force to keep it in balance would not nessicarly mean he was a Dark Side practioner. There are Jedi whom do not have an external activator on thier lightsaber, rather it is internal, and can only be activated by using the force.

But until GL comes up with some kind of SWU explination for mace's saber, I guess we'll just have to argue.

There ya go.

9. DARTH_ABBADON

Nov 9, 2002
    We have to take into account that Mace is a member of the Jedi council, and a Master Jedi, and as so would constantly be testing his ability in the force. What better way then creating a balacned, synthetic crystal for his lightsaber.

Good point but I think that it would be a little too much for Mr. Windu. I believe it is just to difficult to properly syncronize a lightsabre crystal without drawing from the strength of the dark side.

But thats just my 2 cents. :D

10. DARTH_ABBADON

Nov 9, 2002
    This deserves a *BUMP*

11. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    This has probably done before but let's try this anyway.

Favourite Hilt:
    Favourite Colour of blade:
    Favourite battle:
    Favourite Form:

Favourite Hilt: Obi-Wan PT
    Favourite Colour of blade: Purple
    Favourite battle: Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul
    Favourite Form: IV

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Favourite Hilt: Obi-Wan's (PT)
    Favourite Color of Blade: Blue
    Favourite Battle: Obi-Wam (vs) Darth Maul
    Favourite Form: Form IV

13. DARTH_ABBADON

Nov 9, 2002
    Favorite Hilt: Dooku's, followed by Luke ROTJ

Favorite Color Of Blade: Red of course [face_devil], followed by Purple

Favorite Battle: Vader/Luke ESB, followed by Dooku/Anakin AOTC

Favorite Form: II, followed by VII, and then followed by V

14. DARTH_ABBADON

Nov 9, 2002
    Here's a question: How would a lightsabre react to a regular bullet?

15. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    I think it would melt it instantly.

16. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    I just got here, but if this question wasnt asked then what form would you all dedicate to if you were a Jedi? I might go with form VII. I like it because it combines a lot of the forms together.

17. ExarKun2004

ExarKun2004 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2002
    So, we all know that the Lightsaber crystals are adgedan crystals. The "lucas colors are" red, green, blue and purple.

So my theory is that the crystals color comes from where it was found.

Red- Fire
    Blue- Water
    Green- Ground or cave
    Purple- well, maybe outerspace??????? or a mix of blue and red.

This would hold true to the fact of red=evil and everything else= good.

18. DARTH_ABBADON

Nov 9, 2002
    Heres a good question: When a lightsabre is moving it "fans" out, right? Say someone was shooting at a jedi. Does that part of the blade that "fans" deflect blaster bolts too or just the actual sabre itself. In other words, when we see the lightsabre in that upside down triangle shape, does that whole triangle deflect bolts, or just the blade as it is when it is staionary.

PS: SecondBest, I've always been partial to Form II myself. I love the finese of it.

19. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    The color is very simple in fact. Lucas picked green for qui gon simply becuase ob1 had a blue saber. In the sense of film, it would be silly to watch to people side by side with green sabers. Not enough composition. We see this twice

TPM QGJ OB1 v maul- three differnt colors
    how apealing the eye is that

AOTC-ob1 tossing luke a blue??? anyway again we see Green BLue v red. Lucas knows his film

It boils down to light saber color being good for the eye...the history and meaning is what TFN is for.
    KT out

20. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    ob1 never tosses luke a lightsaber in aotc, what kind of crazy person wrote that, it's anakin

21. Dagobah_Y

Dagobah_Y Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I was directed here by a mod. Can someone tell me why sometimes like in AOTC when obi runs his lightsaber through Zam, she does not get cut into two while most of the other times the object gets cut clean?

22. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    "when obi runs his lightsaber through Zam, she does not get cut into two while most of the other times the object gets cut clean?

She does get cut into 2, well, a part of her does anyways. Obi actually uses the technique of Cho Mai in which you aim to cut off the enemy's weapon hand.

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/4071.jpg]
    Turn up the brightness and contrast on your monitor to full and you will clearly see Zam's hand in the air.

23. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    DARTH_ABBADON, if I'm understanding you right about the fan thing, a lightsabre leaves after-images behind itself. Only the actual beam of the lightsabre itself will deflect or absorb shots, the after-images are just an optical effect and don't seem to have any actual power.

Half of the coolness in lightsabres being used is the big light trails they leave behind :D

24. Dark_Pride

Dark_Pride Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    Hey Jedi-Master4123 or so...

Can u tell me the link where u got all these nice lightsabre-style forms from???
    Thx

25. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Dark_Pride, the details of lightsaber forms was in the SW: Insider a couple of months ago, and it is in this months issue of the UK Star Wars Magazine.

EDIT: I would go for Form IV myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.