main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

-Official Lightsaber Sound FX Thread-

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Dako, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    the original lightsabre clashes were a sound that was regularly used as electric sparks on star trek from '66 to '69.

these sounds, to be exact:

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1VLQP3LM3D0C11NG2STTENASZK

2. Petyamester

Petyamester Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2005
    Anyone knows whats the music in the Ep III trailer when Palpatine says: The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway...blah blah? And the other music what i can't find is the snowspeeder theme from Ep V. If anyone can help me, thanks much!

3. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Neo, those sound like they might be for the grinding sound when characters are caught in a saber lock... but I'm pretty sure if you watch the lightsaber documentary from the OT bonus disc, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'll look it up when I get back to my apartment tomorrow. Ben Burtt isn't really the kind of person who uses others sound effects. Even when he wanted to use one from Flash Gordon, they didn't use that one, he made his own version of it.

4. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    actually, ben burtt loves using other people's sounds

if you listen to the duel in episode 4, you'll pretty much only hear those sounds and those sizzle sounds. there were new clashes made for episodes 5 and 6.

5. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Dude, where are you getting your information?

6. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    are you forgetting about the wilhelm? the robin hood arrow sound?

either way, those sounds i posted are the exact same sounds used in star trek and star wars,, there's no arguing that.

7. Dako

Dako Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    What Robin Hood arrow sound? By the way, I wouldn't assume what someone does or doesn't do, like Ben Burtt using other people's sounds.

8. Darth_Numanus

Darth_Numanus Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    hello there! im looking for two specific sounds.
    first, the sound effect that goes with this
    [image=http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5834/sign1ox.jpg]
    second, the claxon/siren that can be heard after anakin and obiwan mash up the mustafar controll room. i think its the same one that can be heard on the death star aswell.
    does anyone know where i can find these two sound effects?
    -num

9. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i'd like that one too. i can't think of any game that's used it.

10. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i read that there's a robin hod arrow sound which is burtt's favorite sound, and he tries to put it in every movie he does, like the wilhelm scream, neither of which are his

assume? it's the same recording.

dammit, double post again....

11. Dako

Jun 7, 2005
    It might be the same recording, but there could be other things going on behind the scenes. Maybe Ben doesn't want to put it in, but it sounds better then some he created, or maybe George wanted him to put them in. Tons of alternatives.

12. BRYAN_SEECRETS

BRYAN_SEECRETS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    Haven't you got the ROTS lightsaber sounds without background sounds and music?

13. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    can pigs fly yet?

14. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    either way, those sounds i posted are the exact same sounds used in star trek and star wars,, there's no arguing that.

Well, since I don't watch Star Trek...
    And Wilhelm is an industry gag, along with other certain sound effects. Basing an entire list of sounds, probably a lot longer than you're imagining based off of that little tidbit is a bit of a stretch, and I still don't see anything to back up your claim that he just uses others work.

I assure you, most of the ones for everything else are created by Ben Burtt or his helpers, such as Matthew Wood. This is shown in pretty much every documentary he's in, especially from "Rev it to the next Level", which features Matt Wood, the Jedi webdoc from Episode I and "The Birth of the Lightsaber" which is on the OT bonus disc.

I think most of us know his "hum and buzz" story by now. Blaster bolts from grounding cables, TIE fighters from a car on wet pavement.. things like that. Oh, and Lucas mentions the dry ice thing at about 10min 20sec of the lightsaber doc. I thought there was video of it somewhere else.. I'll tell you if I find it.

15. BRYAN_SEECRETS

BRYAN_SEECRETS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    Haven't you got the ROTS lightsaber sounds without background sounds and music?

16. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    maybe the dry ice is what he used for the sizzles, or the clashes in episode 5. but the clash sounds in episode 4 were those borrowed spark sounds

and the wilhelm is an undustry gag BECAUSE of ben burtt.

17. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    chateau video's too big to send.

18. Dako

Jun 7, 2005
    That's fine. How big exactly?

BRYAN_SEECRETS, I don't believe there is anyway to remove music and background noise from ROTS. The best thing you could try would remove 3/4 of the sabers themselves. There's no way.

19. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    728 MB. might be because i know nothing about video compression

20. Dako

Jun 7, 2005
    That's okay. I need to learn more about it too.

21. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    it also has a track of music, that probably doesn't help

22. Darth_Numanus

Darth_Numanus Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2002

attention sound designers!

i need your opinions on how best to mix lightsaber sounds. for some reason i just cant get them to sound right! is there a certain way i should do things? like, should i start with the swings, add the clashes and fill the empty parts with the hum?

what have you guys found is the best method?

thx for any help
    -num

23. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i think i got it smaller, but yousendit has changed some things, i don't know if it'll work:

http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=997BB6D710167660

darth, i suggest clashes first. do all your clashes, then do swings, and fill in with hum. it will sound odd without the swings, but it's best to start with the loudest stuff, then the quiet. i did it the other way before, and i always had to readjust all the volumes of the swings and hums once i had the clashes on, and they never turned out right.

24. Dako

Jun 7, 2005
    Even if it's smaller, I don't think it will work. In Premiere I can't open .wmv files. Is there any way you could you make it into a .mov file?

25. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i don't know how.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.