1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

Live Action Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by fanboyskywalker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That takes place between Episodes 3 and 4. I haven't heard anything in a while. Hoping it is coming sooner rather than later, but I'm afraid we're going to have to wait until after CW ends (which sounds like about 5 years). :(

I don't think we actually have an official thread for the LAS, so we do now. This is the general thread and will contain any info we receive. We'll make the other thread about tone & plot for now, and will move to more threads as we get closer to release date. Thanks, G_M.
  2. darth_nemisis Jedi Master

star 6
    Not much is really known right now about the series. You could check the forum index to find out what other people are posting about. Or, you could check out the Wikipedia page about it or the Wookieepedia page about it. ;)
  3. black_saber Jedi Master

star 4
    I think its going to be about bounty Hunters.
  4. darth_nemisis Jedi Master

star 6
    I think that will be a big factor within the series, but I am not sure that it will be all about bounty hunters.

Didn't they say it will be sort of Soprano like?
  5. Kazanova Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I wouldn't be surprised if the droid duo made cameo appearances, or even Darth Vader. I remember reading somewhere a while back that that was the plan. We'll have to wait to see though!
  6. Cid Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I remember reading the opposite, but Lucas makes so many bass ackward statements that it wouldn't suprise me we BOTH read opposite stuff.
  7. darth_nemisis Jedi Master

star 6
    I thought I remember reading that Vader wouldn't have a part in it. In fact, I thought I saw that Jedi in general wouldn't. Not sure though.

I would love to see a sort of cliff hanger at the end of the season with Darth Vader igniting his lightsaber or something. That'd be great.
    Yeah, I would think that they would be in this a couple of times. I would definitely be surprised if they were not.
  8. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Seems to me that little to nothing will be authorized for the TV show at all until at least the release of the cartoon in theaters and whatever they'll do cartoon-wise on TV.
  9. darth_nemisis Jedi Master

star 6
    Question: Does anybody happen to know when they will be having auditions and where? I am a very curious person. ;)
  10. ross2287 Jedi Youngling

The best way to end it would be to have Vader jumping from the Star Destroyer onto Princess Leia's ship!
  11. ezekiel22x Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That Lucas quote about the live action show being more like Episode IV in terms of being "talky" really makes me wish they would've started working on it immediately rather than do the Clone Wars cartoon. I've always loved the first half of the original film so much because it slowed things down and in turn emphasized a more expository (yet still very naturalistic) sense of character interaction. Perhaps more-so than in any of the sequels or prequels, to me the characters in the first half of ANH seem to feel the most "real." Ironically enough, I'd also add that Tatooine as portrayed in the original film feels a great deal more distant and alien than other Saga locales. As soon the heroes make it to the Death Star and the action starts up, though, I admit that I think ANH sacrifices too much of its mood and character for run of the mill swashbuckling.

If Lucas follows through with this less action idea and more of a talky, character driven premise, I think the live action show could be something special.
  12. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    That's a good point. Just the fact he's comparing it to ANH sounds promising. I'm expecting grittiness, character development, and actors/actresses who may possibly be unknowns. All of that worked for ANH.
  13. SaberJedi2 Jedi Knight

star 4
    That's true and I agree with that. But, seeing how each film thereafter was more action driven and visually intensive, I'm not sure if people of this generation will enjoy it as much. It seems that many if not most people who grew up with PT actually prefer it to the CT.
  14. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    That's a whole other discussion right there. What usually makes something a classic is a film that is character-driven. Action-packed CGI flicks are cool for awhile and then fade out of memory. We remember the characters of the OT, the archetypes they represent. If this TV series is to capture the essence of the oritginal films, it will need to focus on character development.
  15. Darth_Solomanche66 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I couldnt agree more, and couldn't hope for anything more than something resembling ANH.

The 1st 1/2 of ANH is EASILY my favorite hour of any movie ever. Its the most personal and i think and hope thats what the LAS will be like. If so, then yes, the LAS could really be special.
  16. vong333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah but if the tv series is full of talk, let me tell you it won't last. Sorry, star wars ain't invinicible, and after the way things went with the prequels, any minor problem with the tv series will be blown out of proportion. Also, it makes sense to bring out the cartoon/animation first becuase it has all the characters of the prequel movie plus some EU nuggets. The live action series won't have anything to do with that, to some, that might turn them off. Star Wars might not be Stargate, Star Trek, or Battlestar Galactica, the movies were good, but their is no garuntee that the live action series will be as good or reslient as the above mentioned 3 shows. Thats why it made sense to bring the clone wars out first. Everyone knows about them, the characters and stuuf like that, and they are marketed for juveniles/children. Some stuff is for adults, but the massive money generator are the kids. Better recognition. The same is going to happen with the Force Unleashed. Its going to be a very good video game, that many fans and non-fans alike will be takling about.
  17. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there and again base it off of what I said earlier. Though today's younger generation prefers the CGI and fast-paced action, very few films since the original trilogy have stood the test of time like those three films. Character-driven films with the appropriate amount of action will stay in people's minds for generations. The themes that are universal represented by classic archetypes are what will serve this live action show the best. Those movies make hundreds of millions for a few weeks and then fade from memory. The story and characters, the heart, was never developed.
  18. SaberJedi2 Jedi Knight

star 4
    Taking another look at it, I think that if it is developed to appear more like the CT without the visual effects implored in the PT, it still would have a chance. Take Battlestar Gallactica for example. Although it does have some pretty intense CGI (especially for a TV show) it is mostly character driven which gives the show heart and the reason that its lasted so long. It's just an example of a SciFi show in today's world that's not run by visual effects. It's character and plot driven with some supporting CGI and if the LAS could be something like this then I think it could do very well and make most SW fans happy.
  19. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Great example of using Battleship Galactica. It had the CGI and so did ANH. But it's gritty and highly character-driven. As such, it was very well-received and brought new fans to the franchise and genre. It was also critically-acclaimed.
  20. SaberJedi2 Jedi Knight

star 4
    I recently heard an interview with Steve Sansweet and he was estimating that the LAS debut in 2011. Because things are still in the pre-production phase he said that it could be anywhere from 2010 to 2012 depending on how things go. Not to much different from what we already knew..
  21. Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I don't mind if they take their time, better than rushing production and it being under par.
  22. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Yep, I agree wholeheartedly with that. It's no rush, no studio demands. Release a product that is superior to everything else.
  23. darth_nemisis Jedi Master

star 6
    Definitely. I have no problem waiting. I have held this stance ever since KotOR 2.

And it gives me time to get out there and audition. :p
  24. Kalibak Jedi Youngling

ANH hope is a gritty movie featuring serious character development...?
    :confused:
    I love the movie, but I think you've got it confused with 'Taxi Driver' or something...
  25. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    You talkin' to me?

I'm pretty sure I know the difference between the two films.