Live Action Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by fanboyskywalker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Kalibak Jedi Knight

When I think of ANH I don't think of gritty character driven drama.
    It's more like an edible comic book made of colored sugar...
  2. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I expected 2011 for the live action show and it really makes sense. GL works in three year cycles. Darth, what scares me about the new live action show is the fact that a lot of stuff will be restricted, unless things change and we have different types of stories. cause let's face it, I will not watch week after week of talky talky bore me to death stuff, nor will I watch week to week of bounty hunter stuff. I'm hoping that a babalyon 5 style of storytelling is used in the live action. And yes, I rather wait to get a good product than rush things out and get a crappy product. KOTOR-2 is still fresh in my mind.
  3. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, I don't think it will be all talk or all bounty hunter stuff. I am sure they will find plenty of stories in which to explore. I mean, they have said that they would like to do different series focusing on different people, didn't they? They wouldn't put 2 or 3 of the same type of TV shows on the air.
  4. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well I hope not....but then again... there are 3 Law and Orders, 3 CSIs and 2 Stargates. I couldn't see them putting on two different LAS unless they were set in completely different time periods.
  5. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, I could see them doing multiple shows during the same time, just following different storylines.
  6. CoppiceThorne Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks for that *punches the air happily*! You have written exactly how I feel! The scenes of Tatooine in ANH never feel contrived in any way. Everything feels so fluid and natural. Instead of actors seeming self-consciously aware of the fact they're in front of a camera etc, rather it truly feels like the characters are real. I enjoy all the little things like: "Luke! I'm shutting the power down!". Mundane elements make everything feel that much more believable. As well as having scenes done at dawn, dusk, night and in all weathers. After the OT I felt like scenes have become a little more contrived, rather than just letting things flow as if they were done on the fly (though well prepared in reality, of course). I like that feeling that one gets in one's own life. Looking at the night sky, flowers, moons -- things which I feel are highly emotive. I really like to get that eerie feeling that I am on another planet. Watching the scenes flowing from the Dune Sea, to the Jundland Wastes, to the Salt Flats...it has that same effect of finding oneself on the planet Mars. After countless times watching I still get the chills. The desolateness and wide expanses are extremely palpable. That and Dagobah. I hope they keep some of that eerie mysteriousness in the LAS locations. Characters interact with real-life locations better than with just CGI. Sure CGI can be pretty, but it can leave you desensitized, ie: "That looks quite nice, though strangely I don't feel anything toward being on a supposedly alien planet". Though on the plus side, for CGI, it can create masterfully done environments such as Coruscant or Felucia which I wouldn't change in the world, and couldn't be done any other way. Seeing that we live in the age that we do, I think a nice compromise is to have blended environments. Kashyyyk is a good example of this. A mix of real-life locations with CGI and/or paintings. For the LAS I just hope that we can actually have some outdoor shots with actors as there is a lost magical art to be found in the way they shot Tatooine in ANH. I would be upset to see that "reality" lost. Every time I glimpse at a National Geographic I usually find some weird and wonderful place therein that makes me exclaim: "That would look so great in Star Wars!". Shots like the speederbike chase on Endor are still chilling. CGI does breathtaking space shots but scenes on-planet can leave a lot to be desired. I like to be spooked when I'm on another world. I want to feel that oppression of being alone. The first ever episode of Doctor Who set in the petrified jungles of Skaro still spooks the 'ell out of me! You can do this on the cheap and still do it effectively. Alternatively, spending a little more money on location-shots can sell the show that much more to the viewer. "Gosh man, I'm on another planet!". People like those thrills. How often does one actually feel like that? Not often, for me.

Casting choice, I feel, will be incredibly important. I hope they get this right. It is going to be the thing
  7. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Wow, that was a tough read. :p

Anyway, I agree with you for the most part. I am hoping what they do with the planets and such will be as interesting as possible. I have a feeling that they will do what they can, effects wise.

Casting will be tough I think. Isn't GL known for casting unknowns? I think he has the chance to cast a lot of people.

Speaking of casting, if they wait too long, they won't be able to use Daniel Logan as Boba Fett, unless they start later on in the time period.
  8. CoppiceThorne Jedi Knight

star 2
    ...you've sparked a thought there. I've often found the lesser known actors can give me a more profound experience. Especially with Star Wars, I can find it hard having frequently-seen actors playing [soon-to-be-]iconic characters, it never seems real. I don't mean that they shouldn't have acted before. I suppose that is why a television series is so good. TV actors, for me, feel (even if they aren't) a little more underexposed from the media, and thus can be molded into anything, believably. I love the casting they did with Stargate SG-1. I like to grow attached to characters, not ones that I want to keep at arms length (unless that's just their character, which is fine, rather than acting or script).

Now...being an Aussie, and with the likelihood of using some Australian and New Zealand actors in the LAS, I wonder what accent the Imperials are going to have? Some English, American, or Canadian...some Australian (Drat! That's not far far enough away!). "Yeah, mate...err, I mean Sir." ;)
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Very possible there'll be a 3rd Stargate as well- though they've acknowledge they can only do two (SGA/SGU, SGA/SG-1 movies, or SGU/SG-1 movies) at the same time, so there are limits even for enduring successful series.

Rick had a comment awhile back that they were exploring the idea that the characters in the show could eventually be spun-off into their own shows, so (presumably, I'm just guessing), for example you'd have a bounty character who'd show up every now and, a recurring smuggler character, and a Jedi-on-the-run character, and eventually, after the main LA series (which itself might have shorter-than-usual season lengths) moves beyond them, you'd get additional short-season spin-offs following those characters.
  10. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4
    I just want something in the way of news.
  11. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    [image=http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/NuteGunray.jpg]

No need to report on the live action series until we have something to report.
  12. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Agreed. It's a bit easier this time around because we will have The Clone Wars movie and TV show. It won't be like waiting around for three years with not much in the way of Star Wars being released. Well at least not in the volume of what's to come. "Be mindful of the living force.."
  13. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, and I think it will be a while before we get any good, shocking (or whatever) news that we all want to hear. They are focusing on the cartoon for now. I would give it a year, maybe two, before I expect to hear something about it.
  14. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I think we'll get snippets here and there to ensure the audience doesn't forget about this future project. But I think you're right about that timeframe before we get real juicy information.
  15. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I bet we get some more info if the cartoon takes off and does well people will start to ask what's next.
  16. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    It's amazing to me Stargate has been one of the longest running shows, and then Stargate Atlantis has went on for a long time. I have watched some episodes, seems enjoyable enough, I mean I liked what I saw. But I don't know one person of all the people I know who has ever even seen an episode of ANY of the Stargate series. I guess maybe I don't have enough nerds for friends or something. Everyone talks about Prison Break (love it), Heroes (love it), Lost (depends), etc., the big network shows, but nobody I know cares about Stargate and yet it's found a way to last that long.

So... I think a Star Wars live action TV series based on the number of fans we have would be pretty huge, and easily able to last for a long time. Whatever they come up with, I'm sure it'll be fun. It would be fine with me if it were less action-oriented and more character driven, which would probably make sense with the budget. I think it'd be wise to have most of the episodes be more character-driven, then save up money in the budget for a season, for instance, to have a few really spectacular battles worthy of the Star WARS name, then that will satisfy all types of fans ;)

I have to admit annoyance to this CT nonsense. It's the OT, the original trilogy. Both trilogies are classic trilogies, by definition, the prequels have achieved a status reserved only for classic films, through ridiculous box office grosses, breaking numerous records, and a rabid fan base of their own, with ROTS receiving more positive reviews than any of the other Star Wars films. So it's confusing when someone writes CT, instead of the proper designations: OT and PT.
  17. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    More talky? I'm starting to picture Young Indy again!

The comparissons Rick and George have been making to The Sopranos has me worried, as well. I'm guessing this is a show about a black sun criminal organization flourishing under the Empire. If we're lucky there will be cool smuggler characters, but I'm guessing mobsters and Hutts for the most part -- with bounty hunters. There are certainly a lot of cool directions this LAS could go in, but I seriously doubt any will be the direction we are expecting or perhaps hoping for.

This article on the writers he is hiring seems to confirm this:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,24171108-16947,00.html?from=public_rss
  18. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4

"that's....good news"
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Of course those are all network shows with more "realistic" scenarios. Stargate started on Showtime, then migrated to SFC. Prior to SG-1 coming to the channel, SFC's top rated show was Farscape- and how many people do you know who talk about or watch that? Few SFC shows make mainstream penetration. BSG is the exception to the rule.

SG-1's success has been in global syndication and DVD sales, as well as, generally, topping SFC's ratings as far as original scripted dramas go (BSG exceeding that the past few years, though).

It may have only been on pay-cable or niche cable channels, but it's successful for the network and it's successful for MGM (it's their top property after Bond), and has a concept open to almost unlimited possibilities, so it's very malleable and adaptive.
  20. Gimme_Shelter Jedi Padawan

Any speculation into if they would release 3-4 episodes together like TCW on the big screen before they air it on TV?
  21. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I doubt it, but who knows.

Anyway, here's George dropping a tidbit about a new angle for SW to be seen in the LAS:

The first question starts the interview off on an amusing note. What do the characters of the Star Wars universe do for fun? Lucas laughs before responding: "They like pod races, they like gambling, they like card games. They go out and shoot at wamp rats in the canyons. There is an entertainment industry, but you won't find that out until we get to the live action show in a few years."

And the source:
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080814g.php
  22. JasperMereel_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    I know I cannot wait to find out more info about the show. There's no rush, better to take time and come out with a good product rather than to rush and maybe come out with something subpar.
  23. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope it's not too dark and Sopranos like. This entertainment thing sounds lackluster to me. And a bit dubious. There's a lot of room there for George to go off in weird directions with it. Who could forget the ROTJ:SE "Jedi Rocks" sequence? And, frankly, I have no interest in seeing an acting troupe touring the galaxy.

Quest/Maul, what are your thoughts?
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I always enjoy seeing a focus on the different aspects of the SW universe- Jedi get boring after too much exposure. Stuff like the underworld, freedom fighter, farmer and information broker perspectives are always so much fun to read/see.

That said, it's all in the execution- do it right, and you get stuff like the awesome Tales from Jabba's Palace. Do it wrong and you get Jedi Rocks.
  25. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    The difference being that one was done by KJA and one was done by GWL. Not that I'm Lucas bashing. I actually think Lucas is the bomb. In fact, no matter what he does I will always be thankful that he has given us this world to play in.

Anyway, Quest, for some reason your comment made me think of Underworld: the Yavin Vassilika. The art was strange, but the story rocked. If you haven't read it I recommend it. It was a fun treasure quest story with all our fav. smugglers and bounty hunters thrown in for good measure. I have no ides how the idea for it came together, but I really enjoyed the project and wouldn't mind seeing some stories like that in the LAS.