1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

Live Action Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by fanboyskywalker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It does make one wonder, though, if the budget is a concern primarily due to the number of digital characters needing to be animated, why not replace some of the digital characters with ones that can be portrayed either by actors or puppets to balance the cost without sacrificing the story?

I mean, if you gotta turn a Muun into a Rodian or a Besalisk into a Gammorean, is anyone really going to complain that it won't feel/look like Star Wars?
  2. fistofan1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Replacing CG Prequel aliens with puppet OT aliens? The fans will surely be outraged! :p
  3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Master

star 5
    Christ Rick looks old nowadays.
  4. Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master

star 3
    So, does this series actually have a release date, or is it still in development hell?
  5. JM_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    Not yet just a series title unfortunately
  6. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    YES. YES, THEY WILL BE HEARING FROM MY CARRIER PIGEON, DAMMIT. MCCALLUM ET AL WILL GET SOME ANGRY FAN MAIL, YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT.

Turn a Muun into a Rodian to cut costs... the nerve. What an idea.
  7. DantheJedi Jedi Master

star 5
    Funny, Star Wars: Underworld was the title for a Grand Theft Auto-style video game set in the SW universe idea I've had.

It's at least appropriate for the settings and characters they might have to deal with.
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    [face_not_talking]
  9. Darth_Hydra Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm trying to get excited about this news but can't. This is only a working title and could possibly change before the series debuts. At times like this I almost just want to give up hope on TLAS.
  10. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Honestly I hope this never happens.
  11. Asharak Jedi Master

star 4
    I have said this before and will probably say it again: Why on earth does a supposedly character driven show, based on the criminal underworld of the "Blade runner" looking underworld of Coruscant, need cgi for things that are bigger than anything in the movies(according to Rick and George). It really shouldn?t be that expensive to make in comparison to other Sci-Fi shows, Battlestar, Firefly and Farscape had a budget of 2 million or less each week, a show with a budget of 4 million could kick their butts visually every single episodes. This series could have happened years ago if George Lucas didn?t need (apparently) a 20 minute battle scene and 2 or 3 new alien planets each episode.

This series will never happen, because George Lucas`s idea of a character based show is "Avatar" on TV.
  12. Alexrd Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Some people can't understand that.
  13. klooney Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think they are waiting on some newer streaming media venture, say Apple, Google or Microsoft TV or whoever to hand over the money, since nobody in conventional broadcasting seems willing to promise that kind of cash without retaining some control over content.

The Star Wars prequels, Red Tails, Indy IV and even the Star Wars 3D post conversions were promised but in "development hell" for years but eventually got made (for better or worse). GL does do what he says he will, even if he takes a very long time to get around to it. It may be six months or ten years before the right offer comes along for the live action show, but with the show all mapped out already, they could probably assemble a cast and go into production very quickly.

14. Humble_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh YES, that would be the best game ever!

GRAND THEFT AIRSPEEDER! [face_laugh]

It should be set on Nar Shaddaa, so you could have several factions to work for; Rebels, Imperials, Hutts, Black Sun, whatever.

Damn, that would be great. You could have police droids for low wanted levels (or stormtroopers / shock troopers if it were under imperial control), bounty hunters for higher wanted levels.

It'd be AMAZING, especially because the world could also be travelled vertically. DO WANT!!!! =P~
  15. Seerow Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree with this, they'll never get a network to take it if the show is 4 million an episode. Terra Nova costs 3 million an episode and production takes a long time for each episode because of the effects. It was problem because Fox could not properly test the show with just pilot episode and now Terra Nova faces cancellation after just one season from the cost and average ratings. I imagine a similar fate for any Sci-fi show that costs 3-4 million.
  16. shanerjedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The reason is because they can't decide how they want to present it. As you said, current sci-fi shows have had great fx for half the price. It's not about the price. It's because they're waiting to see how things work out as far as format.

17. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    All due respect to the Maker, but I'd prefer that they wait until he dies before they do any other major SW projects.
  18. Humble_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm fairly certain that it would be better than TCW.

For one, I think they wouldn't use the 'self-contained-episode' kiddie cartoon format, but a continuous storyline. Rick also said it was 'adult'. And they did hire writers, so it's not like everything is going to be written by Lucas. He'll have input of course, which is good IMO. I still like Lucas' universe better than most of the EU.
  19. CaptainYossarian Jedi Master

star 3
    I can't remember who said it but I'm sure someone, possibly GL, did in relation to the show that since SW is a film series there are certain expectations about the content and production values. So an SW TV series will be exactly the same quality as the films, but it will be in the format of a TV series and therefore be taking advantage of the opportunities to tell more, longer running stories.

If they just wanted to do a Star Wars TV show then they could do that at any time and make it for a reasonable cost, comparable to any other series. But the thing is that a Star Wars TV show in live action will have the same things as the films and consequently cost somewhere in the same region. And now I suppose they are trying to work out how to bring SW to TV but for a reasonable cost that can be recouped easily.

It's a good thing that the show is being developed by the right people, including GL himself, and it's laudable that he is not compromising too much on the style of SW in order to bring it to TV. So it may take a long time to appear but then the original SW was developed for some years and the PT took even longer. So the show taking a long time tells us all that GL is genuinely interested in making it the best it can be, presenting SW as it should be, and also driving forward technology as he has done with past productions.
  20. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
    So much negativity. I am optomistic that it will not only get done but will be good.
  21. fistofan1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Agreed, although I'm a bit concerned over the amout of adult-ness that has been discussed by the producers. I certainly love a decent dose of it in Star Wars, but the ideas of prostitution and drug dealing have always been in the background of the franchise and never at the forefront. TCW suggests that Lucas tends to think of light and gritty as two separate entities that can never mix, so hopefully he's managed to find a balance for the upcoming series. Too much/too little of either have led to 99% of all controversy in the series.
  22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Master

star 5
    I don't care what those liberal pansies think, something along the lines of Spartacus: Blood and Sand would do me just fine. Now that's a show actually worth following. Cannot wait for season premiere of Vengeance.
  23. Humble_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
  24. melkor834 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Agreed. A more serialized format would certainly be preferable to me. With that said, episodic sci-fi shows aren't necessarily a "kiddie catoon format" and can be done quite well. Star Trek, Doctor Who, and to a lesser extent X-files are all examples of this. Still, I too prefer the serialized shows like Lost and Battlestar.
  25. Hutts Can't Run Jedi Master

star 1
    While Rick didn't exactly set pulses racing with the announcement of a working title, at least it's an indication of the project's continued existence. Had he said "oh the live action series? As dead as Greedo" I'd have been very disappointed.