1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

Live Action Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSucrose Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not only that, but the human actor has something tangible to play off of if it's there, which adds so much to the believability.

The moment in ROTJ where Leia is pushed against Jabba and inches from her face he sticks his tongue out and she recoils in disgust would not have the same effect if she were instead listening to the director or some effects guy say through a bullhorn, "okay, you're being pushed against this big slug monster. Okay, he's sticking his tongue out, look disgusted." I'm not saying it could never be duplicated, but it would be a lot more difficult to make an audience member buy that moment in CG (not to mention they would probably overdo it).

There are several scenes and sequences in the prequels that absolutely require CG though, but I'm always pleased when I see a film that finds a good middle ground between practicle and CG effects.... Look at the 25th Anniversary edition of E.T., for example. Despite what you think about that update, there are very subtle things done to ET's face in a few scenes, where they just move his eyes around to show him thinking for example, which just adds a ton to the character, and because its on top of the puppet you can tell that he's also actually there and it doesn'T take you out of the scene. I would've like to have seen more of that in the prequels: Guys in suits, but their facial features and mouths are animated... something like that, at least for species where guys in suits would've worked, like Dexter. And Clones of course. Never understood why the Clones were animated. That's overkill.

So yeah, George, if part of the 50 mil. budget is for animated Clones... just hire some dudes, instead.

2. Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well said! I totally agree (except for the E.T. stuff which I can't vouch for).

Also I just want to point out that I didn't bring this up to complain, I was saying part of why I love the The Clone Wars so much is that since it's all CGI there are basically never moments like that. Once you're into it, there's nothing there that's gonna arbitrarily pull you out. A little like Shatner's acting in the original Star Trek TV series. :-B That's why although it wouldn't be my preference it also wouldn't be tragic if the series to take place during the fabled Dark Times were to wind up being CGI like The Clone Wars rather than being live-action.
  3. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    yeah kinda[face_thinking] .... no- it doesn't -i can't get the difference:D it is exactly same thing to me to see obvious puppet and obvious CGI- I'd have to be consciously thinking about the fact that it's CGI and only then it's ruined- same with puppets (i see many visually disturbing things that suggest Yoda is fake- just as many as in CGI-characters- they just suggest he is puppet -not CGI- still i have no probs without that over-thinking and this same goes for CGI as well as puppets and masks)- i'm either fooled by both -or then i'm not fooled at all:p OT has visually out-of-place scenes too- during speederbike chase- very noticeable used out-of-place background that moves while speeders are not moving (i dunno what is name of that technique that looks very fake in old films)

You know it could really be- that all people don't see that CGI-difference so clearly and apparently Lucas is one of those as well as me- too bad if you really have such a problem with CGI-effects since i don't have any issue that they would "stick out" [face_hypnotized] i don't always even see the difference between CGI character and masks in PT- few examples who really bother me a bit are gungan army, Yoda, Dexter and AOTC-clones- they should have used same technique with clones as they did with wookiees in Rots- having few costumes and then multiplying them with CGI
  4. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    So THAT's why he hasn't bothered to put the Live Action Series into production!
  5. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Hurry up George less than two years left!:p
  6. Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

OMG wesa all gonna die!!!!!

Seriously, is Lucas for real? I have my doubts we're all doomed to that date.
  7. Robimus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh dear..............Can't say I'm surprised. I wonder if he talked about the pillars tumbling down.
  8. koonfan Jedi Knight

star 4
    The [link=http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2011/01/18/16927446-wenn-story.html]article blurbs[/link] by Seth Rogen (a comedian) is actually a lot more ambiguous in its tone than the excerpt would imply. Ending it where Spielberg rolls his eyes makes it seem entirely serious. He later goes on to ask Lucas if he could have a seat on the emergency escape vehicle he had probably built for himself.

The actual [link=http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/George_Lucas_Believes_In_Mayan_Prophecy_136184.asp]news posting[/link] on TFN has already updated a second time. While people will always react in vastly different ways, I'm going to reach my conclusion that it's little more than a lighthearted joke among some very famous people.

Hope that helps. :)
  9. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    you know- end of the world or not that is fact in any caseo_O
  10. shanerjedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I loved the response about the Lucas/2012 thing from Lucasfilm spokesperson Lynne Hale! [face_laugh]

Has there been any news about this show lately?
  11. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 7
    I personally do not see how the special effects are going to get cheaper as time passes. So Lucas needs to rework the focus of the show and make it more personal or just cancel the damn thing officially. Puppets are your friend, George. But I'm sure I'll be back here in a year tapping my foot again. It's too bad.
  12. Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan

star 4
    This easily wins the "Most Depressing LACWAC Thread" award... [face_frustrated]
  13. darthcaedus1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    At this point, I'm not even going to hope for anything.
  14. fistofan1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Sound the trumpets and gather all the LACWACers because our depressing slump is about to end! The Maker and his crew have 50 hours of material ready to experiment with: http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/George_Lucas_Talks_SW_LiveAction_Series_138409.asp

Happy face time! :)
  15. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I don't get it, is there anything new here? He has 50 hours written, which are sitting on a shelf, cause he wants it to look like the movies but has yet to find an economically feasible way to shoot it. What's new?
  16. Senator Kelberry Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah it seemed to me I had heard that on the Forcecast a number of months ago. I forget if it was at CV or if they just had some insider on, but they said they had the 50 scripts and a "movie of the week" length script, and the problem was money.

Still, as long as George keeps talking about it, at least we know he's still got it on his mind. I'm still hopeful that monetary issues can be resolved it's just a matter of George swallowing his pride when it comes to the visual effects. I mean, obviously nobody want's it to look like BSG (the original) but I should think you can do some pretty good effects for the kind of budget he wants to have.

Oh well. I've got a certain number of decades left in me and you never know what the future will hold.
  17. Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Master

star 5
    Yeah, them having 50 hours of material ready to be worked with is nothing new. If anything, having supposed "news" that just reminds of that is even more depressing.
  18. JM_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    Why not start production on the series while they are in studio adopting the original movies to 3D??
  19. Game3525 Jedi Master

star 4
    I am 20 now, and I get the feeling this thing won't get started till I am about 30.[face_plain]
  20. PublicEnemy Jedi Youngling

The problems I can see with the live action series is how will you put some of the original trilogy characters into the show. Darth Vader and Palpatine in my opinion would be a main focus of the show. You also have a problem now of the original actors coming back to reprise their roles. I remember the guy who voiced Starkiller for the Force Unleashed games said he wants to have a part in it.
  21. Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Master

star 5
    I've read interviews where George said the show would be about Vader and Sidious in the sense that the plots will revolve them and they will be referenced frequently, but we wouldn't actually see them.
  22. rumblewagon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    ^I thought GL said the Live action would not feature Jedi (Force users) at all.
  23. JM_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    A good thing to cover would be storys with Han solo like how he met chewbacca, how he originally got the falcon, how he orginally became a smuggler, how he met lando, his adventures at the imperial academy, how he came into league with jabba the hutt, etc. There's so many rich storys that involve han solo.
  24. GGrievous Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well if you want Lucas' take on all that, I highly doubt any of that will stay true to its original form from the EU. :( You never know with Lucas. I don't want Lucas to mess with Han's Corellian backstory or Dewlanna taking care of Han.
  25. JM_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    True but with the way EU things have been goin down the drain lately it's only a matter of time before it happens.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.