Live Action Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by fanboyskywalker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Actually, KJA was only the editor and author for one story for that anthology- the rest were other authors.

Underworld is actually one of the few titles I haven't read yet- hadn't heard that many good things about it so it's never been at the top of my backlog list. But that aspect you mention is interesting, maybe I'll check it out soon.
  2. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh check it out I remember I liked it. It had Han, Greedo, Jabba, Lando... would love to know your thoughts on it.

I meant that KJA was the editor of the Tales from Jabba's anthology so I just attribute it to him since he was essentially the producer in movie terms. I think he had a bigger hand in it's production than people give him credit for and I think he is really underrated. I like his writing style and pacing, course I read his SW books when I was about 12. LOL.

Anyway, back to discussion of the LAS.
  3. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Stan Sweet just said on Attack of the Show that the live action series will not get on tv until 2011 or 2012.
  4. ImpKnight Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I wanted to break my TV when Steve Sansweet said that.
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    [image=http://www.mgroves.com/images/do_not_want_star_wars.jpg]
  6. ImpKnight Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  7. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm just excited that the the idea of wanting the show to "look" like the prequels is what George is trying to do. Now THAT would be awesome. I'm just a little curious as to HOW they'll be doing it at $2 mil an hour instead of 50.
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    When you can spread the cost of something over the course of 20-24 hours of production, costs go down significantly. Something that costs 2 million now only costs < 100,000.
  9. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4
    may there be Hutts in the series? Check out the front page...I think we all kind of expected this.
  10. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm thinking that we'll definitely see the Hutts in the LAS. As it suggests on the front page, it really plays well into the underworld that we've been rumored to be seeing.
  11. kardde20 Jedi Knight

star 1
    anybody think they might be holding off to see what the ratings for the clone wars tv show will be before they start shooting the live action show? wasn't the live action show originaly supposed to come out this year?
  12. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope not. They must know it's two different audiences and that people who wouldn't watch a morning cartoon would tune in to a heavily promoted primetime show.

But, I suppose if the Clone Wars bombs and there is genuinely not an interest in SW anymore, anything is possible. This is why I hope Lucas puts the show on cable because not as many viewers would be needed to keep it going as it would need on a big network.
  13. Ulic QelDroma Jedi Knight

star 1
    Pure speculation ... I think the live action series will contain mostly human characters with just a sprinkling of other alien species.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Han Solo style characters since he's the one many of the older SW fans enjoyed the most and have been crying out for. Also, while I think he's a great addition to the universe, I'd be VERY surprised if a character like Ziro the Hutt would work as well in a live action series.
  14. FloridaFilmGuy Force Ghost

star 2
    You'll see Darth Vader in February, May, and November.
    TV Sweeps months, when Networks use the ratings to set their advertising rates...
    I guarantee it.

15. UltimateJustin Jedi Knight

They could use other popular characters instead of Vader. Boba Fett, some Jedi, Stinky is a hugely popular new Star Wars character the fans adore.
  16. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh gosh no please, what? We want to make this in the way of the hated prequels that made money, but not the tv show? Man, this is going to blow, but I could have told many of you that the tv show will not be ready by next year nor 2010. 2011 seams like a good spot since it will cover 3 years. GL and company like to do things in 3 year gaps, from TPM, to AOTC, to ROTS, to TCW/TFU in this year, so three years from now we have 2011. We still have all those wonderful Del Rey novels and Dark Horse comic books coming out with Battle front 5 and Lego 6 coming out
  17. LordHibbidyhai Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think when LucasFilm talks about making the L.A.S looking like the prequels they are talking about the cgi quality, the production quality, etc. If we are venturing into the underworld of the Star Wars Galaxy then I think the gritty, down and dirty look of the OS would be more appropriate. I've always felt that the shiny and pretty scenes in the prequels belayed an innocent Galaxy. After the Empire takes over things should change.
  18. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with you that I think the attempt to make the show have the same production quality as the movies, but not necessarily the shinyness. I'm very curious how they're going to get the costs to be that low...but if there is anyone to do it, I'd bet on George Lucas seeing as he's paved the way for how movies are made today.
  19. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    George Lucas gets a "discount" on all ILM work. I seem to recall him once saying that if he had to pay market rate for the prequels then they would have cost two- to three-times as much to make.
  20. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    I have read that we're going to see some characters from the novels. How cool would it be to see Captain Pellaeon or Grand Admiral Thrawn?
  21. WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well they all cost around $110M to make. That's practically low budget for your average big summer box office movie these days. lol
  22. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Jedi Rocks was a fantastic addition to ROTJ, I loved it when I saw it, and I love it now. It's a great theme, too, it's a great little sequence that really adds energy and expands the galaxy created.

I am sure the live-action TV show will be amazing no matter what it focuses on, but I am definitely hoping it's a bit different than what we've seen so far, to open things up a bit more, because it could be really awesome.
  23. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    True, but that's for 2-2.5 hours of movie. We're talking a third to half of that (~42 mins without commercials if it's on a network or an hour for something like HBO). That would make each show around $37-$55 mil per episode. Trying to get that down to only a couple of million could prove difficult.
  24. LordHibbidyhai Jedi Knight

star 1
    One thing that may work in ILM advantage as far as getting the cost per episode is that the technology needed to produce RotS quality production should be getting cheaper and older. Computers are much faster and cheaper (my poor laptop is from 2005, and the poor thing is showing its age), a capable workforce should be easy enough to find.

They should be able to get some quality artist and workers for some pretty good money. Seriously, how good would it look on your resume to have "worked for ILM on the Star Wars tv series" on it. I have heard that Sidney Australia will bend over backwards to cater to them.
  25. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    If my visual effects abilities were up to snuff I'd offer to do it for free....or even pay them.

For Sydney bending over backwards for Star Wars, I can see that happening. It would be one of the most expensive TV productions in Australia and couldn't hurt their economy.