main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoleeBee

JoleeBee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2011
    Prague is cheap...[face_laugh] Well, I sincerely hope they will not shoot exteriors there. Maybe interiors?

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It already is though, and sex will always be a part of any culture, along with all the other typical 'sleaze' elements. If they're going for mature and gritty then prostitution would be perfectly viable to add a bit of realism to the underworld along with drugs and alcohol, both of which were in the movies and a few TCW episodes too.

3. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Force Ghost star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm sorry, what? How in the world do you think they would budget the show (thus, discovering it was going to cost more than expected) without writing the scripts to the nearest final draft? Just make up numbers based on concepts and hopes and dreams?

No, they had to break down those scripts, ascertain what they were looking at from a production standpoint, how many effects shots they were going to need, etc. People are acting like Lucas and co. are being ridiculous, but it seems to make perfect sense to me.

And for the record, criminal underworld of Star Wars during Imperial reign sounds amazing.

4. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    When has it been a Star Wars theme?

I am sure they could have chosen a better idea... :/

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm not saying they should use it, I'm saying that it would be just as appropriate as drug and alcohol abuse in the dodgy parts of Coruscant, etc. Or at least, it wouldn't seem any less appropriate to me.

And I think sex, if not prostitution, has been a pretty big theme in the movies, particularly ROTJ.

6. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    "I'm sorry, what? How in the world do you think they would budget the show (thus, discovering it was going to cost more than expected) without writing the scripts to the nearest final draft? Just make up numbers based on concepts and hopes and dreams?"

But did they have to write 50 hours of episodes and taking them to third draft to realize it? 50 hours is almost equal to Sopranos or The Wire in their entirety, and according to Lucas every episode needs a movie budget. We are talking probably several years of work by professional writers. It seams very unlikely that they couldn?t realize within the first 10 episodes that this just wasn?t going to work. If those 10 episodes would each need a movie budget (as GL says), then they should have stopped the writing process, or changed the scope of the production. It should have been clear to them that they were writing something that would never be filmed.

Movie effects might get cheaper, but it wont become drastically so. The CGI they use today is way better than what they had 10 years ago, but I?m pretty certain the price hasn?t changed much.

7. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Force Ghost star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Writing is the cheapest part. Writers are paid a pittance compared to the rest of the production, so why not have them finish the project? They get paid whether the series is made or not. In fact, many, many writers are paid for scripts that are merely thrown into a vault and never seen again.

And CG isn't something you go and buy at a store for a certain price... there are a lot of factors that affect the cost, and I'm sure Lucas is attempting to secure a workflow that will be the most intuitive, thus driving down those costs and the time it takes to render out whatever no doubt mind-blowing effects he has up his sleeve.

My point is, we need to stop moaning on and on about it when we don't have the full story, and trust that there is a logical reason for the actions of Lucasfilm...that they wouldn't delay the project unless they had to, and there are hundreds of reasons that the delay should be understandable and acceptable to the fanbase.

8. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Maybe he is relying too much on CGI though...

Look at the Cantina scene - no CGI at all there, and it looks fine to me...

9. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    "Writing is the cheapest part. Writers are paid a pittance compared to the rest of the production, so why not have them finish the project?"

My point is that there is no point in writing 50 hours of material that will never be used, not the cost of getting it written. You have some good points, but they will never be able to make episodes that need "a movie budget", producing in large quantities doesn?t make things that much cheaper. Instead they should have written 50 hours of episodes that could be made on a respectable HBO budget, and it would look magnificent. I wonder if it wouldn?t be more fun for Lucas to get to actually make a live action Star Wars TV show in his lifetime, rather than just dream about it?

This show is supposed to be about the characters according to Lucas, but it sounds like it will be mostly about big CGI heavy scenery.

10. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    The Sopranos was basically a "ripoff" of The Godfather, but one of the best television series I've seen in a long time. I think this could be interesting for Star Wars. Show us more of the underground crime world with the Hutts and smugglers, bounty hunters, rogue Jedi, etc.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Prague? What is this info- i guess many places in Prague would be ok Naboo in fact.... about prostitution isn't it already slightly part of SW in OT even- Han Solo's cantinagirl was edited though but "dancers" in jabba's palace probably do other stuff than dance there- Star Wars has this swashbuckling old times adventure world from western/pirate movies and it includes saloons/cantinas whatever usually with hookers around...

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Example = Twi'leks

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Like Aayla Secura:p...... as long as there is just women in cantinas looking like possible hookers it is not even inappropriate not even in family show which live action may not be it will be pg11 or something i guess...... still no need for any Star Wh*res-show- let's keep it Star Wars still:p

How this discussion even started?

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I think Rick mentioned prostitution in the interview and then me and a couple other people rolled with it. I'll take the credit for it.

And yes, Twi'leks in particular are a perfect example. Their entire culture is based around it.

15. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    " it?s [about] a group of underground bosses who live there and control drugs, prostitution,? McCallum said. "

Thats how...Lovely

First Generation SW Fans has the OT and Luke, Leia and Han
    Second Generation had the EU
    Third Generation had the PT and Obi-Wan, Anakin, JarJar and co
    Fourth generation has TCW and Ahsoka etc
    Fifth Generation has... Druglords and prostitution

lovely...

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Since it's more adult show i think prostitution is fine it is really a sad subject and big problem in real world so why not in GFFA- i'm pretty sure storyline of Oola has something to do with thato_O isn't she confirmed to appear- imperial Ryloth- evil filthy imperial officers selling poor twi'leks to slavery of crime lords and dancers for hutts etc. - yes wanna see that:cool: hopefully some girl escapes and starts to kick ass*s of those imperials as rebel- 20 year old Numa?:p

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Hey, could be worse.

18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Well all generations had the EU. :p

19. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Drugs and prostitution have been a part of SW for a long time. They are certainly prevalent in the films and comics, specifically Legacy. But as a rule they have always been kept to the side in favor of telling the main, swashbuckling, uplifting Star Wars story. To have a major SW endeavour focus mainly on such themes just feels wrong and I sincerely hope that the Saga does not go down this path.

Drugs and prostitution have always been in Star Wars, but Star Wars should never be drugs and prostitution.

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Sounds like a very exciting project. Looking forward to seeing it - When they finally get round to it.

Surprised its going to be based on Coruscant. Wasn't expecting that at all.

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    drugs and prostitution are actually already seen in saga- so no need to worry SW is changing at all- besides weren't some people complaining how childish TCW is... so make up your mind people:p live action is not going to be childish then....

22. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    But that's the problem: SW doesn't have to be either childish or adult: It can be and was once both! But for some reason Lucas recently decided that he had to operate with extremes: Childish projects have Jar jJar while fart jokes and adult projects have drugs and prostitution. What ever happened to the kind of SW project the whole family can wholeheartedlty enjoy? The SW Saga doesn't have to be divided into age groups, the OT proved that!

23. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Exactly

it can be adult without going OTT

The OT was fine, the worse we had was the Cantina
    RotJ with Oola, well Oola was just a dancing girl dancing around, admittedly with not much on

nothing... explicit as such with either

Besides we have spice in Star Wars

24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    There hasn't been a fart joke since 1999, though. That's 12 years ago. Jabba the gangster has been around since the beginning. Nothing McCallum said is anything surprising, in-universe.

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    You sure about that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.