main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Based on what McCallum said this summer I wonder if Ainticool's report is accurate. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34451

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I hope they aren't using creative material from the EU post-ROTJ. I really hope they aren't.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I highly doubt it, since the show is supposed to take place before ANH.

[image=http://operatorchan.org/s/arch/src/s16682_mhargitay-more-you-know.jpg]

4. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    It's the mention of a general with the last name of Durron, and the fact that the article hints that he could be Kyp Durron's father that worries me. Of course, the guy who wrote this could just be speculating.

That said, I don't like much of the stuff that happens in the EU after ROTJ and I hope that it doesn't make it's way into the series because that would make it T canon. Just nothing that validates it, is all.

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    If it takes place years before ROTJ, how can any post-ROTJ EU make it's way into the series?
    (other than silly glances of the future)

Kyp Durron's father was a politician, not a general, so even if there is a connection it's a retcon and the post-ROTJ destruction has already started, which should please you.

6. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    It's more likely that this "Durron" character (if such a character exists) will not have any explicit familial connection to Kyp Durron. The name will simply be a bone thrown to EU fans who can then speculate about his relation to Kyp.

That's not the case for someone like this "Naberrie" character. Because Padme is a primary character in the films, this new Naberrie is most likely going to have an explicitly shown familial connection to her.

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    That was my first instinct with the Durron character, that he was unlikely to have any relation to Kyp Durron.

Then my memory jolted and I seem to remember seeing somewhere that Lucas once said Kyp was his favorite EU character.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I remember hearing a similar quote, but it wasn't Kyp, but I can't remember who it was. So yeah, that didn't help at all. [face_plain]

9. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Really, I thought it was Vos or Aayla.

10. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I have no idea, my mind is blanking and Google isn't helping.

I know he likes Vos, but this was way back before Vos even existed.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah, I feel like I'm on the verge of remembering who it was but I'm just not. Vos doesn't sound wrong ...

12. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    He certainly liked Aayla enough to put her in AOTC.

However, I don't think he liked Aayla per se, just the idea of a buxom blue female Twi'lek Jedi with an unconventional attire.

13. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    No, I mean, nothing that links the series to the EU after ROTJ. If Kyp has a father that's a primary character of the series, then that would make whatever happens after post-ROTJ T-canon.

14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    No, it wouldn't, it would just make Kyp and his father's existence T-canon, not everything that ever happens to Kyp, much less everything that happens post-ROTJ. It would be acknowledging Kyp's existence, but only what we see contained in the show.

Aayla Secura is in AOTC and ROTS, but that doesn't make all her EU appearances G-canon.

I get it, though. You just don't want anything from post-ROTJ EU in the series.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Son of Thrawn. :p

16. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    I could imagine Lurker having an instinctively violent reaction to a prawn cocktail.

Not because of its contents, but because of its name. :p

17. sam_

sam_ Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2011
    As far as I am concerned, I dont really see George Lucas and his staff take their inspirations and ideas all the way from the Expanded Universe for this potential Live Action series. I see more a show that relate events and stories that take place between Revenge Of The Sith and A New Hope with some secondary characters from the movies and new characters that with dont know about and would discover the story by the show for exemple. But, yeah I think its very possible and would like to see that we can found references to the large extended universe from books, comics (which is I think difficult now to completely ignore.) Just like they did on the TCW show.

18. sonofcoruscant

sonofcoruscant Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2006
    I've actually begun to worry that the show will never happen at all, which will be devastating after waiting for so long. Like others have said, I would have no problem with a downgrade in special effects if the series was compelling. And it really sounds like it could be, it's set in a really interesting time period that lends itself perfectly to tales of corruption, militarism, unchecked government power and how these things affect the lives of characters other than the established cast. I would prefer that someone other that GL write the show, but he has stated he will hand it off after the fist season.

I'm trying to stay positive, but I really worry when I read quotes about Lucas and his team not being sure that TV will even be receptive to the show in the four or more years we still have to wait. Does anyone else have similar misgivings? The one thing that does give me some hope is that Lucas is certainly not short on money and it could be that if television is not a workable venue some internet based content would work. But the production costs will remain as long as they are set on feature type budgets.

19. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
  20. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    You beat me by one minute. :p

21. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Gotta be quick on the trigger! :p

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It does make one wonder, though, if the budget is a concern primarily due to the number of digital characters needing to be animated, why not replace some of the digital characters with ones that can be portrayed either by actors or puppets to balance the cost without sacrificing the story?

I mean, if you gotta turn a Muun into a Rodian or a Besalisk into a Gammorean, is anyone really going to complain that it won't feel/look like Star Wars?

23. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Replacing CG Prequel aliens with puppet OT aliens? The fans will surely be outraged! :p

24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Christ Rick looks old nowadays.

25. Master_Fwiffo

Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2001
    So, does this series actually have a release date, or is it still in development hell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.