main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    At this point I'm grateful for ANY news. But I'm not really sure how to feel about the whole "Deadwood meets Sopranos" talk. I guess like others said, it will have to do with bandits and outlaws and a crime family...I'm just going to wait til we get more info before I form a real opinion.

I do like this part:

I remember hearing Lucas say once that people who complained about the prequels were adults who couldn't accept that Star Wars was for kids. That comment really bothered me as I felt like he was using that as an excuse to hide behind serious mistakes in the prequels (especially since plenty of movies like Spiderman, X-Men and Batman Begins appeals to both kids AND adults). It makes me feel better that they want to make this series to appeal to adults.

2. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Again, I don't think he was talking about the style or tone of the show. Its more the subject mattter. Deadwood--the old west, bandits, outlaws, bounty hunters; Sopranos--organised crime, hitmen, smugglers.
    It would seem to point to a series that centers around the fan-favorite bounty hunters and crime syndicates of the GFFA, a subject matter most popular in all forms of EU. Obviously this is not kids material, but a show like Firefly wasn't R-rated the way Deadwood and Sopranos are, it was mature but well within the PG-13 bounds.

3. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm very cautious at combining the very obvious bounty hunters with the EU-born Black Sun organization to get the general idea of "gangsters and outlaws" in a Lucas production. If I heard "Lucas is going to do a crime family", I'd rather check Jabba's family tree than a major power in the SW galaxy that Lucas most likely doesn't even know about. And while we're checking, what's that about Jabba's family in recent The Clone Wars spoilers? o_O

I don't give too much credit to one single source saying he's heard something, but I also think that these comparisons might be correct - from a certain, you know what I mean. It's all about what a person sees in the comparison. Is it dark, is it adult, or is it simply about criminals?

Hasn't there also been a Lost comparison, referencing the fact that there'd be several character arcs in the show (which isn't really all that original to Lost)?

...and this is exactly where such comparisons don't work - personal interpretation of what a show is about. We know there's the F-word in Deadwood. But why should we assume that this is the essential element of the series that justifies the comparison? I know that Deadwood is set in the town of Deadwood, so is the new SW series set in the town of Deadwood...? Hm... [face_thinking]

Just a short sidenote, but I wouldn't say that Batman Begins works for kids. I'd say it's a movie for those who grew up with Batman, and kids get to see it because "a comic superhero movie must be for kids". Which results in kids seeing a movie that is too dark and, btw, too complicated for them just because they are a target market for toys. The same is valid for X-Men, to a degree. I'm not sure I would want my kids to have too many "dark heroes" like "realistic Batman" and Wolverine around until they're old enough. I'm still wondering how many kids actually rooted for Anakin in ROTS... :p But then again, I presume Ep1 merchandise worked well enough to establish Obi-Wan as the role model.

And in addition, I think there were enough adults who enjoyed and enjoy the new movies, and the more "kid-friendly" side of SW in general. This internet site guy actually doesn't sound like someone I'd take as the measure for what's good entertainment and what's not, but that's guys posting their opinion on the inte

4. SYKO

SYKO Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2001
    Ya know I was really excited at the prospect of a live action Star Wars show but hearing the new idea I think it sounds like utter garbage. The Sopranos was the most over hyped pile of Bantha Dung I have ever had the misfortune of watching. If the Star Wars show does go forward following a "Crime Family" I'll give it one chance and I doubt it will be worth my time to watch anymore. But here is hoping that is not the case.

5. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think kids (say around 12 and under) were into the X-Men and Batman movies. When I saw Ep III, there was a little kid sitting next to me who was dressed up as a clone trooper. I just don't see that many kids excited for the those two franchises. A new Star Wars movie is probably the only thing that gets 6 year old boys and 50 year old men all equally excited. The world practically stops when a new Star Wars movie comes out.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    But again, nothing substantiated. "Oh, I heard from this guy blah blah blah".

Official info (if you include Rick) is that Boba Fett will play a major role, that it's going to be gritty and more adult-oriented.

That's a pretty big leap to "Deadwood meets Sopranos."

7. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I would've prefered a show following the view points of Rebel soldiers and Imperial soldiers. Have the show reveal the gritty realism of a war. I'm not sure about all this crime stuff. I think it might not have a SW feel to it.

8. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I can't help but wonder if showing the realism of war would really feel Star Wars-y. I don't want to sound like a contrarian, but IMO, Star Wars is very pulpy and it shows a romanticized version of war. Now this is coming from someone who very rarely dabbles in the EU, so I can't speak for what the comics and books show. Compare it to Battlestar, where more than a few of the people are messed up from the war. What I guess I'm saying is that getting too gritty will be a fine line to walk.

9. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Well it's called Star Wars so for a live action show I was expecting to get some likeable Imperial characters and Rebels. To show the start of the civil war. Instead it sounds like it's going to be Sopranos in space. I don't know it sounds like the show is going off base and will not deliver what we really want. Empire was dark and it didn't need an overdose of crime lords and stuff. But I must remember, Shadows of the Empire was very much a space crime/underworld storyline.

10. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Well one of the earlier rumors made the comment that the Empire will be "everywhere" in the live-action series.

That doesn't mean it'll be the focus of the show, but I think as a pervasive "background element" it might be even more effective. If we see Imperial propaganda all over the place, stormtroopers patrolling the streets in passing, etc... it gives the impression of the Empire very much "being there" and in control, but doesn't necessarily detract so much from whoever the main focus is on. Though I bet we'll get Imperial characters popping up quite a bit, whether as targets or allies of Fett/the main characters.

That having been said, if we don't get at least one Vader vs. Jedi arc out of this live-action series, I'll be rather disappointed, but it's sounding like they're pretty committed to not using any of the major movie characters....

Until the ratings drop, anyway. ;)

11. Darth-Wyrm

Apr 30, 2005
    This is a great post. I totally agree and I'm sure that almost all general SW fans do too. Hardcore fans aside, most SW fans immediately think "Vader" or "lightsaber" when they hear Star Wars. Not having Vader makes sense, because it might be hard to pull off (though having Vader's Secret Apprentice from the much anticipated Force Unleashed would be a happy compromise IMO. The SA doing Vader's dirty work while we see Vader in hologram form giving instructions). But not having at least some lightsaber action would be unforgivable.

And like you said, GL and co can say whatever they want about the series...but if the audience doesn't react well, you can bet there will be some changes.

I don't want to be negative though. I fully expect them to have some Jedi action and I expect the show to be good.

12. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I love the idea of a show taking place in the Star Wars Underworld. It's the one sort of story that hasn't been touched on as much as it could.

To me based on the AICN Spy Report froma while back I think it could take place in jabba's world. AICN said that Bib Fortuna and Oola would both have roles.

13. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    So pretty much it's going to be like the Jabba sequence in RotJ only for 100 episodes. I think I'll pass.

14. Clonemenace

Clonemenace Jedi Master

Mar 22, 2004
    Well, to be fair didn't George himself say that we'll get spin off shows? One could be about the imperials, one could be about the rebels, and yet another could be about the underworld/crime/Jabba type thing. I'm guessing it's going to start there though. There are so many stories to tell. I don't see why having something based of Jabba's "business" is such a bad thing. Granted, I know this isn't really official either. I'm just going to be optimistic about it all. At the very least it's more star wars. I for one can't wait. Patiently waiting for spoilers...

15. UltimateJustin

UltimateJustin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    I'm not interested in the CW animated series (bad models and I'm done with the Clone Wars in general), and if they cant get anything more interesting out of the SW universe without adding an entirely new (to non-EU fans) angle like "space crime", then my support for this is going to fade. I just think that promotion for it is stupid, "deadwood meets the sorpranos", if they really attempted that they would fail. Theres so much to do with the SW universe, and I dont think they need Jedi or lightsaber fights. We got so much Jedi in the prequels, we need more blasters, Han Solo types, bounty hunters. So I think "Star Wars meets Firefly" is a better way to promote it. With something as silly as Star Wars, dropping names like "Deadwood" and "The Sorpranos" seems ridiculous. If its about crime, it should be a very Star Wars style of crime, and not take itself too seriously. Too much seriousness in a world with blue elephants that play the synth is retarded.

16. Blackfryar

Blackfryar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    I agree with UltimateJustin last post, there is a childish tone to starwars that would not work with too realistic features like drug-addiction, blatant torture and sex slavery.
    BUT imperial inquisition and jedi persecution would still be great [face_devil]

and remember, no inquisitor = no lightsaber duel

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As opposed to death stick dealers, spice runners, Hutt hookas, electroshock torture, chemical torture, force lightning torture and various Twi'lek slave dancers? ;)

18. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    If there's no lightsabers, I ain't watchin'.

19. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Sounds like Lucas has been hanging around his old pal Coppola.

20. Master_Fwiffo

Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2001
    Smugglers. I'm telling you people, and I've been saying it since Day 1 this show was announced.

A show about Smugglers will cover all possible bases - Run ins with Imperials, Bounty Hunters, Exotic Planets, Pod Racing, Hutts (especially if they're more seedy Smugglers - think the Han/Lando relationship), and throw in a Jedi on the run and a guest appearance by Darth Vader, and you're frikken set.

21. Blackfryar

Blackfryar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    Lucas said that Solo won't be in. basically LAS will be "different people doing the same things in the same galaxy"
    it's hard to tell which kind of characters will be in, besides bounty hunters. I hope inquisitors will make it

22. Darth-Wyrm

Apr 30, 2005
    I think this is spot on. You follow a band of smugglers and it opens up the possibilities to allow them to include anyone and everyone as the seasons progress. Kind of like ANH actually. You start with a duo of smugglers who run into several different characters in the first half of the season, and eventually you end up with a group of people (including a Jedi in hiding where the group doesn't even know he/she is a Jedi) to cover all the bases. This group runs into Imperials, organized crime (Black Sun, Hutts), and are constantly on the run from Vader's "specter" (ahem Secret Apprentice ahem).

Sounds like fun to me!

23. Darthhelmut

Darthhelmut Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    This scares me about the Live-Action series, from the Wiki"

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series

"The series will feature minor characters that will be from both from the films and the Expanded Universe, with possible cameos by some of the main characters.[36] Lucas: "The Emperor and Darth Vader are heard about ? people talk about them ? but you never see them because it doesn't take place where they actually are. There are storm troopers and all that, but there are no Jedis."

Whats the point then?....

I could care less what happens outside of the Jedi story lines.

24. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    I wonder if they're going to do a storyline involving the Falleen and it helps sets everything up for them to make a CGI Shadows of the Empire movie( hopefully using Beowulf technology).

25. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    It seems with at least 100 episodes (what GL said he?s financing for sure) you could cover a lot of different storylines. I wouldn?t mind if a variety of them were touched on, but if they stick to just one storyline or topic, it could really drag the series to a halt, not to mention alienate viewers who aren?t ?into? the selected storyline.

So what?s the odds of any of these storylines being played out?:

1) Rebellion against the Empire battles, with good X-wing on TIE fighter action?
    2) Hutts & bounty hunters (probably likely with a crime like plot)
    3) Any remaining Jedi being hunted down and killed? I know we heard ?no Jedi? but throw us a bone here!

Also how insignificant does a character have to be in one of the films to make it in the live action series? For instance would Lobot be off limits because he was in ESB? Or could he show up? Also there is a whole host of Imperial officers that were only around for a few scenes, could they make it in? Maybe a Lars family member?

I know it?s WAY too early to speculate, but what I?m getting at is if you take the ?guts? out of Star Wars, then is it really Star Wars anymore? I?m hoping they stay true to some of the basics: the Force, Imperials, Rebels, space battles, droids, etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.