main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, then the live action series probably won't be for you. C'mon, it's after Order 66/The Purge. We've all known for years and years that the Jedi were wiped out.

Guys, I can't say this enough: don't read too much into anything at this point, Lucas has focused on The Clone Wars and they're only just beginning SW:Live Action.

We'll see Jedi, but only on a much more limited basis.

2. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    The Jedi were the least important characters of the OT...

3. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I think some people are just expecting a "Jedi-on-the-run" type storyline. I was, anyway. Either way is no big deal to me as long as it's a good storyline, but I do think there will be Jedi.

Besides, that's just from a wiki.

4. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    You've got to be kidding me. Luke and Vader were clearly the MOST important characters in the OT (seeing as how GL himself has said that SW is the story of Anakin Skywalker...you know, the Chosen One?). The OT centered around his redemption and his son's ascension.

Without the Jedi/Sith, there is no Star Wars.

5. Blackfryar

Blackfryar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    or at least one of the main characters should be a former Jedi. Jedi survivors may have change their way of life after the purge, first for their survival and second because of disenchantment with the Republic that betrayed them. they may be working as pilot, mechanic or trader and chose not to fight against the overwhelming power of the empire.

6. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    How true that is. I hope there are at least some Jedi, even if they're tertiary characters.

7. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh gosh, you guys. This smells like The Phantom Menace all over again. Don't expect anything! When you have certain expectations, you're going to be disappointed. Just wait and see - have an open mind. Even if there are no Jedi (not Jedis, that irks me) I'm sure the storyline will be compelling. Afterall, we just got 3 huge movies centered around the Jedi Order...we're getting 100 episodes of animated Jedi and Clones...

I for one would like to see something fresh and new.

8. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    As long as it's interesting. Crime lords, bounty hunters, and pod racers can only carry a story so far. When I think gritty SW series, I think BSG 10x. Not Sopranos in Space which is what this is going to be.

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    *first post since 3SA in 2005*

Well, I totally dig the crime lords and bounty hunters concept. I see it before me now... The opening scene takes place in Nar Shaddaa, ruled by the Hutts. We've got Fett, we've got imperials... I'm totally digging the idea.

Funny how everybody is speculating about which characters will be in it. I for one am a lot more interested in the locations we're going to see. The LAS is a great opportunity to visit some (EU) places that didn't get the spotlight in the movies, like for instance that awesome place known as the Smugglers Moon. :D

10. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    If it's going to be about crime I hope Fett is the main character.

11. VaderFett

VaderFett Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2003
    I really hope we get to see a charecter like Master Vos from the comics. I'd love to see an onscreen actor do that role properl, they;d have to find the right actor though.

This reminds me alot of the spec before RotS, with all the potential that had to redeem the PT, and how it turned out so poorly in the end.

Ben K.

12. Padme_Nebarrie2

Padme_Nebarrie2 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2007
    Call me crazy, but I was actually looking forward to a linked series. There's a such a big gap of time between the end of ROTS and ANH that could easily be teased out in another movie or series. Although I can appreciate the EU and the bounty hunter escapades, I would personally prefer to stick with the established storylines and characters. If not, it just ends up being a copy of other shows (as some of you have mentioned, it sounds like Deadwood, Sopranos, Firefly, etc.). To be honest, the bounty hunters and the 'scum and villainy' were the lowest on my list of things I liked about any of the Star Wars movie. They were very good secondary characters and did well in their roles as such, but to be the main focus? Eh, not so much...As some have mentioned here, I think having a dark, gritty realism to Star Wars would go against all the established conventions of the series. It's a space opera full of sweeping melodrama, action, adventure, etc. etc. Why change what works now? .Perhaps others would find it too boring or what not, but personally here's some things more of the focus I'd like to see in a LA Star Wars series....

- Leia's upbringing on Alderaan, her training, and life in the royal court
    - Luke's upbringing on Tatooine, view of his friends we heard about in ANH
    - How Yoda/Obi-wan settle into their nomadic lifestyles (you want to talk about some internal drama! They are portrayed as sort of fighting monks in the movies, but how would they deal with going into hiding when for centuries they were the public guardians of the known universe?)
    - More of Palpatine's domination on other worlds, how they succumb to the control of the Empire
    - The building up of the Rebellion (that's a BIG one! The rebellion is already formed in ANH. How did it get there from the massacre and betrayals of ROTS?)
    - The drawing up of the plans of the Death Star (how did they come up with that thing?)
    - Explore a bit of Han Solo's childhood (if following the EU) on the slave ship, how he meets Chewbacca, how he gets to be such a good pilot, and eventually ascertaining the Millenium Falcon

Those are just some suggestions. But again, I'd throw my vote in for a bridge series rather than trying to do something completely new. But it would seem the powers on high have other ideas. So I'll just leave my idea for you guys to chew on.

13. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    So... what do you guys think the title of the LAS will be?

I think:

Star Wars - The Dark Times

("...before the dark times, before... the empire") ;)

Actually I'm so confident I'm betting a hundred credits on this!

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    If there are no Jedi in this series then it will surely fail. I'll bet 1000 credits on it.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    BAH! I say-the first series featured only a handful of jedi and lightsaber battles. And plenty of people remember more for the space ship and blasters and lovable, and not so lovable, rouges as they do jedi and lightsabers.

Bring it on, i say, the EU has been far too jedi centric recently.

Of course, I am worried about this darker and grittier tone. I think a huge factor in the success of the original was that it was a light hearted, family oriented action-adventure in a sea of dark movies.

16. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I don't mid if tehre's no Jedi. they seem to be everywhere. Throw a stone and it'll hit a Jedi. even in the Clone Wars, where it should hit a clone, IMO.:p

I'm all for less Jedi, more 'normal' people. One or two, okay, but so, many? Personally, i could use a break.:)

17. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    BAH! I say-the first series featured only a handful of jedi and lightsaber battles. And plenty of people remember more for the space ship and blasters and lovable, and not so lovable, rouges as they do jedi and lightsabers.

And you can get that crap on any sci-fi series made in the last 25 years. There's only one place you can get Jedi.

If this series has no Jedi i doubt i'll even watch it. Not trying to sound all AICN, but i miss BSG all the time, missed most of Babylon 5, the entire series run of Enterprise, i even missed every episode of Firefly on it's first run (had to pick it up on the DVD). Never missed one SW movie - Because i like the sci-fi/fantasy mix that the Jedi represent.

I'm all for less Jedi, more 'normal' people. One or two, okay, but so, many? Personally, i could use a break.

I'd be fine with that, but they are talking about ZERO Jedi. Meaning not one character. A terrible mistake if you ask me.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    There's only one place you can get Jedi.
    Maybe...but you can find psychics everywhere. Same thing basically.

19. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    Hardly. Show me Psychics with SWORDS elsewhere and i'll give you the win.

20. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I like the idea of a "Jedi on the run" and hope we do get at least 1-2 Jedi periodically (not as a main character). For me lightsabers, Jedi, and the force are what makes Star Wars Star Wars. If you take those away it is just like any other Sci-fi show.

It would bug me if they can come out with a game Force Unleashed and let you play as Vader for a mission/level and he finds a secret apprentice yet in a TV show they don't some how come up with a way to write in a Jedi and some lightsaber fights.

I would go with something like this, A Jedi and his apprentice flee and are found by Vader in the Pilot. The Master is killed the apprentice flees again and hides with other "outlaws" (Han types) etc. Vader then talks with lead Bounty hunter (Fett or some other character) and tells them to keep looking for this guy. And from then on the Show is about the Bounty hunter and "outlaws" with the Jedi. Vader makes an apperance via hologram every now and again and the Series finale ends with Vader killing the apprentice.

For lack of a better term/show it would be like the A-Team with a Jedi with other "outlaws" getting into various situations (so you can have stand alone episodes), while the main story plot is the Bounty hunter trying to track them down while Vader is off screen doing his Imperial duties.

21. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    Vader is not a Jedi in the OT and Luke doesn't become a Jedi until ROTJ. The only Jedi in the OT are Obi Wan and Yoda, retirees, and they are just side characters.

The PT has made things too Jedi oriented. Star Wars is not about the Jedi, its about the galaxy.

22. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    I hate the idea of this show. I want the beginnings of the Galactic Civil War. I want drama and space action. I want good character development. I want to see Stormtroopers and Rebel soldiers. I don't want to see some Crime lord talking about his next shipment of death sticks. What's the point of putting this series between the films if you're not going to expand on it. The regular viwer is going to be wanting Vader, stormtroopers, rebels, and some appearances by Fett, if they turn and see some boring storyline about two crime lords fighting over spice and drugs they are going to turn. The only way this series will work is if they take the SW title off it.

23. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    Well, to be fair we don't really know what the idea of this show actually is. We know it'll involve the crime lords and bounty hunters and stuff, but we may very well have the Jedi purge and the Rebel Alliance involved in it just in the course of interactions in the galaxy. I mean if its about bounty hunters--well who were one of the main factors in tracking down the Jedi that escaped the purge? I'd bet the pilot will include a plot about a renegade Jedi being tracked to draw Star Wars fans in. And of course the Rebel Alliance is essentially a criminal organization as well, so there might be some cross-over in the course of the show. Its just too early to make heavy judgements about the show since its just hints right now.

24. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Unless one of the crime lords get sick of the world of crime and becomes a major contributor to the rebel alliance and his rival helps out the Empire, I don't see how this will be cool. Unless of course the series is similar to Bounty Hunter the video game. But problem is we won't have Boba or Jango as the lead just a lame Han copy cat.

I guess after watching BSG and Stargate Atlantis this just sounds really...weak.

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Personally, I would love to see at least one Jedi in the show. I agree with those that say how integral they are to SW. That said, novels like the X-Wing series were wonderful. But one aspect of that was a Force-user. Not a Jedi. Just somebody who could use the Force. That would work beautifully in the live action series. Somebody with no understanding of the Force, but who accidentally touches on its power. You could easily work that into whatever bounty hunter or crime lord antics they get up to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.