main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Live Action Series General Discussion Thread (tone, plot, cast, etc)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by HyeJinx1984, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

GL is going to make a TV show with a movie quality episode every week, isn't this so?

so could it feature epic land and space battle? is that something he is going to try?

I'm expecting something spectacular - to explain THE TUDORS is awesome, but it always shows the build up to a battle (soldiers marching, etc.), then we are told in dialogue what happened? will GL show us that epic scenes can be done on TV in the likes of the TUDORS without breaking the bank?

2. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Don't expect the same amount of spectacle of a major motion picture on a weekly basis on TV. I'm sure it will be spectacular for TV series standards, but I don't see them creating fully expansive virtual environments and armadas for every epsiode. It will focus on character, so much of it might be just a bunch of folks arguing inside a spaceship, a blaster fight here and then. And then, occasionally things escalate and we get a more flashy battle, a couple of land assaults per season, a handful of dogfights. You just can't expect the same thing that takes three years to produce and costs over a hundred million dollars to be made for an infimous part of that on a weekly basis.

3. brainwash

brainwash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2009
    Both Young Indy (even at its worst) and Clone Wars have given us that "mini movie" at every experience, I wouldn't expect the LAS to be any different at any odd episode.

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree completely...This is exactly how I think the series will look. That's kind of how Battlestar Galactica looks-mostly character drama inside a ship or base or something, with the occasional space battle...(I don't really follow that show, but I've seen enough of it to get a grasp on how it plays out.) Star Trek TNG, Voyager, and I guess even Enterprise (although I only really watch TNG) also has a lot of special effects (that were good for the time) in their episodes-I could see it being on a similar plane there, too...

Personally I think just the fact that it's Star Wars characters, with Star Wars environments, will be fantastic! Regardless of the "count" of battles they have...it's STILL Star Wars! :)

5. nett40

nett40 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2009
    I really hope so, cause TCW is a really a good show. If the LAS is going to put its self in the wake of that show, it could use its full Star Wars potential and make something spectacular every weak... [face_praying]

6. jonny5

jonny5 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    It's not like LFL is going to be cranking these episodes out the way Saturday Night Live does (& God help us if I'm wrong) Remember there really isn't such a thing as a 'weekly' television show. The 1st season will be produced as a whole and before its even released to air the 2nd season will be well into pre-production.

If the season's story arc is well plotted out and the producer does their job properly scenes with the same characters that might appear many weeks apart viewed sequentially can easily be shot at one time and edited into the whole in post.

It's not like you'll see one scene in the May 2010 [just a guess, fingers crossed] pilot, with Darth Harrington saying:

"Hi I'm Darth Harrington of 'Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered
    Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids Emporium and Moon Base'! Due to a garbled
    subspace transmission, I am now currently over-stocked on Intergalactic Proton
    Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids and I am passing the savings on to you!"

and then they'll call the same actor come back in August to shoot more for episode 12.

7. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Is this Star Wars Visions thing they are teasing a comic book?? Because it looks like maybe concept art. The companies involved are Abrams books and Acme. and at the bottom is says Lucasfilm Ltd. Fine Art.

What I'm getting at is maybe they are bundling together the concept art from the show.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It could well be concept art for the new series as I feel that the teaser image looks a little shiny to be just a comic book. However tradition dictates that concept art books are usually released around the same time as the film/show it's tied in with to avoid minor spoilers.

What I think visions is going to be is just an art book, a few professional artists collaborating to make a very nice collectors item. It certainly looks like something that will take pride of place on my coffee table alongside a few hardback graphic novels.

Anyone else excited about tonight? After all tonight is when we find out if the new show is finally rolling![face_dancing]

9. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I don't think Visions has anything to do with the LAS. It seems to me to be some sort of artists tribute to Star Wars. Pieces of art inspired by Star Wars, variations on classic Star Wars imagery and stuff.

And yeah, very excited about tonight. Boy, it will be so frustrating if the big news is some stupid stuff completely unrelated to the LAS.

10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Well I won't mind too much if it's an official Battlefront III or a decent quality trailer for season 2 of TCW (which is a must anyway[face_tired]). It certainly would act as an anasthetic against the pain of no LAS announcements. But if there is nothing new announced on the project tonight then I'm going to start questioning whether or not the LAS has been making any progress outside of the script-writing.

11. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Oh that would be col. Coffee table artwork and that would make the "visions" title make sense. So unrelated to tv show but cool anyway is my guess now.

I do hope we get some LA series tonight, though.

12. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    Total Speculation here: but......StarWars.com is rocking that Boba Fett background that was put up like yesterday.

13. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    I thought the same thing...it might be a reach but, that was my first thought when I saw Fett.

14. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It's been up for a week. It does seem like a very George Lucas style wink to the fans. However I wouldn't take this to mean anything concrete, for all we know Starwars.com could have just run out of nice looking Clone Wars renderings and some moron decided that Boba Fett would be a good replacement in the lead up to comic-con. That is a BIG coincidence though!

15. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    I've been waiting so long for official news regarding this series. It's potential excites me to a much greater degree than the TCW or The Old Republic ever will.

16. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    The Clone Wars are pretty fun but Live Action Star Wars is where excitement is for me. You know I am not expecting much from Comic-con but a title and maybe some writers would be awesome.

17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I was reading the Comic Con programme out of boredom and came across this. That first line is very intruiging as to the nature of the super duper announcements for tonight, but the second sentence that I have highlighted gives me a sinking feeling that it's going to be a new Battlefront game. Maybe it's going to be both but I'm starting to worry...

18. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    Or something about the new TFU DLC, which is something I'm very excited about. But it does kinda worry me also. Obviously, they won't have footage, but possibly concept art or the basic premise of it would be nice.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I can see them breaking out some kind of official poster or name for the Live Action Series, but I would be highly surprised if it was anything beyond that.

They're only at the stage where they're hiring writers, so I don't expect any mostly-finished product, unless Lucas has been filming stuff for a trailer.

Much more likely to be a trailer for TCW S2, and/or for SW:The Old Republic.

20. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I think you have read an announcement on a web page that is behind the times. In an interview with SFX last year Rick McCallum revealed that the writing team were already scripting the middle of season two!

21. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003

I had not heard that...maybe he meant mapping it out rather than scripting.

22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Well from what I understand Lucasfilm want to film the show as a block rather than have a gap in filming to write a new season. This way things are more efficient. So I wouldn't be surprised if what Rick said was accurate.

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I wasn't sure whether this was the "initial scripts", e.g. similarly to TCW where Lucas, Filoni and Gilroy would have a bunch of ideas and send them out to writers for their initial scripts.

It's a bit of a process so it still doesn't necessarily mean they've filmed anything, but it's good that they're at least that far along.

24. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Oh I wasn't saying they have filmed anything. If recent evidence is correct (I would share but I don't want the swift axe of moderation to bare down upon me) then production has started this month!:D

25. MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo*

MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo* Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2000
    Here are some resources for those who haven't been following the slow developments of the LAS

http://www.theforce.net/swtv/morenews.asp

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/index.php?page=2011

Last summer, three aussie script writers were hired to work on the scripts. Last winter at new york comic con Lucasfilm's Steve Stansweet confirmed that preproduction has started and they were in the middle of writing the the first season's scripts. The series is or was going to be bounty hunter oriented and include Boba Fett (Star Wars Insider Magazine 99) and feature the Star Wars Underworld "Deadwood meets Sopranos".

There are no Jedi, although in one interview I read McCallum didn't rule out a Vader appearance for ratings purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.