main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

LucasBuiltMeHotRod Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    From AICN: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34451

Merrick here...

..with some newly emerged details about the STAR WARS television series we?ve been hearing about. I?m referring to the live action project?which?ll come around AFTER the upcoming CGI series.

This news comes to us via the highly trusted Kuato, who has taken up a singularly unseemly residence on Harry?s belly. It was difficult to understand everything Kuato said?I couldn?t make out every word through so much slobber and rasping. I hate talking to Harry. I hate talking to Kuato; it's gnarly and it's a pain in the ass. But here, for your consideration, is part of what I gleaned:

We?ve previous been told the television series will be set between movie episodes III and IV, but we didn?t know much about what to expect beyond that. Kuato illuminated: we?ll get a little bit of everything in the show; the series very much embraces the broad scope of the STAR WARS universe. For example, we'll revisit Pod Races, and the characters and shenanigans/politics the events bring with them. Kuato said that one of the racer characters is someone we were actually introduced to a long, long time ago: his name is Thall Joben. This name sounded familiar to me, but I couldn?t quite place it. I looked him up. Turns out, we met him in episodes of the DROIDS animated series.

We?ll also see Rebel bases and Imperial Star Destroyers. Actually, Kuato believes Imperials will be everywhere in the new show - undercover operatives, Imperial Officers of all makes and ambitions, and nearly all of them will be afraid of Darth Vader.

There will be several instances in which characters are related to, or progenitors of, other characters in both the STAR WARS film universe & the franchise?s ?Expanded Universe? (or ?Extended Universe? if you prefer). One such character is a straight-laced Rebel with the last name Naberre?Padme?s last name in the Prequels was Naberre. I was a little confused here, but I believe this guy is supposed to be in his 20s?which would (presumably) make him related to Padme in some way. One Rebel General evidently carries the last name Durron ? his placement in the STAR WARS timeline likely makes him the father of a character named Kyp Durron, who appears in several STAR WARS EU novels. Also, Kuato insinuated we?ll come across ("at least") one Mandalorian bad-ass in the course of the series.

Kuato chuckled manically about the following?he sounded like Clint Howard at the end of ?The Corbomite Maneuver?. He laughed so hard he could hardly talk (this made Harry?s belly jiggle in disquieting ways). Seems one character is spun off from (or may be the same character as?) Lucas? own cameo in REVENGE OF THE SITH?s Coruscant Opera House sequence. Lucas?s character in that cameo (he had no dialogue) was called Barron Papanoida. The series brings us?General Papanoida.

Hmmmmm?.

Which brought Kuato to what most fans are really curious about: which FILM characters, if any, will make their ways into the series? He said there are several, among them are the prominently featured Bib Fortuna (Jabba?s right-hand man) and Oola the dancing girl (the green babe who was jettisoned from Jabba?s court to become a Rancor munchie). Kuato said the series will also involve the ever coveted, always inconvenient, vitally critical Death Star plans - although he did not indicate to what extent they?d be featured.

Kuato quickly became sleepy, but before he nodded off completely he told me that one significant way the series will be different from the movies is in how its character react to what is happening around them. He says the series will be less ?good guy/ bad guy? in nature & offer far more insight into what makes characters tick, why they feel what they feel, where they?re coming from, and so forth. This will be true for good guys and bad guys alike. I?m gathering this means the series may be more nuanced & emotionally accessible than the theatrical films often were (I?m specifically referring to the Prequels with this comment). I have heard, independently of Kuato, that

Seeing as this thread spawned out of news of a show that ultimately never came to fruition, might as well retire it now that a new live action series is finally in development.

2. EvilElecBlankett

EvilElecBlankett Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007
    I just had a feeling like I haven't felt since.....Revenge of the Sith. Very cool stuff.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Sounds like it could be pretty sweet.

I really like the fact that they can go ANYWHERE with this; I'm sure Lucas is super-pumped as well.

For some reason, reading the above description gave me the feeling of Zahn's Heir to the Empire series.

People will laugh about the pod races, but I'm guessing at least some of them will center around Tatooine; so we'll likely get Jabba, Bib Fortuna, pretty sweet. Throw in some pod races, why not?

Vader is really going to be the "Phantom Menace" of the TV series; everyone is going to be afraid of incurring his wrath, and he can neatly serve as a plot device without even having screen time.

I'm taking all this with several thousand grains of salt, but it's definitely got me excited.

4. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

Aug 28, 2002
    how about the return of a "Droids" character? Tootally out of left field!!!

5. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Yeah, I would have never thought we'd get some DROIDS references. I wonder if Screed will be brought into the mix.

Interesting information though I am taking it with a grain of salt too. I love that this series could go in any direction.

6. Blackfryar

Blackfryar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    if Lucas just met the writers, i don't think the plot & characters could be as advanced as what you describe. it's just fan speculations.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    WOW! First spy report!!!!!!!! :eek:

POD RACES and a character from DROIDS??????? Who would have thought it? [face_laugh]

What I'm confused about, is that theres so many differant angles and plot points here that I can't at this point imagine how it can all be weaved into a coherant whole. Like how do we get from Bib Fortuna to a relative of Padme?

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    We don't...it's not going to be coherent or chronological or thematic in relation to each episode. A Bib Fortuna piece will likely have nothing to do with a Naberrie or the Durron character...they'll be in other episodes.

Each episode will be a stand alone adventure with different characters, locations, and plot devices...with only a dusting of greater plots like Vader/DS Plans thrown in occasionally.

This is about telling MANY stories, not one long and intricate one. That's the films schtick.

As far as podraces are concerned....I wonder how much location shooting they'll do...will they go to Tunisia or will they use left over shots from TPM? I was assuming they'd blue screen nearly everything. Scale of production interests me...especially if this mythical $1 million an episode cap is truly enforced.

9. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    It really depends on how much George already has mapped out. He may have everything but scripts (characters, general ideas) laid out already, which would mean all this could be true.

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Couldn't they replicate Tunisia with plate shots and CGI these days?

As far as each episode being a single, self-contained entity, thats a good point. Its kind of hard to imagine, because there aren't many shows that are like this, but its typical of Lucas that he should do something completely differant.

11. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Is podracing limited to tatooine? I thought that Qui-gon mentioned he saw it on Malastare but I might be wrong.

12. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    According to the video game, it's on a lot of planets and on a variety of courses. Personally, I hope to see the gas mining platform tracks in the TV show.

13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    oh certainly...but the most famous track will be tatooine (it just will be) and if they can reuse some CG work to cut a cost corner, expect it...though a 3 or 4 episode sub-plot on pod-racing could be done.

Better yet...how about swoop races and strangely familiar-looking Corellian kid in the background.

14. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Well AICN is fairly confident of their source so I'll bite for now. I am cool with this concept so far. I hope like the movie Traffic these seemingly unrelated characters effect one another without meeting one another.

15. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    Maybe others already noticed this, but it seems like this is going to be a bit of an anthology series. They hit on a popular character, do a few more episodes, and then give him or her one of the spin off series they've been talking about. One of the problems so many dramas and serialized shows have is that after a few seasons, people miss an episode and then feel completely lost. Doing a series that's much more episodic but still tying in to one another would avoid that.

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Which is why this won't be episodic...it won't be serialized.

Seriously...approach it as though each week was a one-hour made for tv movie.

There will be little connections...maybe like a holovid of something that happened in another episode, or somebody knew somebody type of thing...but podracers and DS plans, dancing girls and Dark Lords...they come together in one place already...the movies.

Beyond an intro tittle, I don't expect much of anything the same from week to week. And just wait until we see "writer's pet characters" just like we see author's pets...we'll start watching the credits..."oh this is a John Doe's written one so Boba Fett will be in it somewhere." or Bib Fortuna, or Podracers, or whatever.

Think of it as the "Tales" books...loosely affiliated, but each their own story. This series will be a showcase of the galaxy.

17. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    That's what I am kinda thinking, "The Tales" stuff.

18. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Very interesting article, this show is shaping up to have tons of potential. :D

19. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    There are two things this article REALLY has going for it:

1) Anyone who was here for the 3SA days - remember that first AICN report describing the opening space battle and a new villain called General "Grevious"? This reminds me so much of that - and no one believed it. Of course, we all know it turned out to be the first good spy report we got.

2) The Droids references. The PT had a couple of these, and I am not surprised to see it continue. The "Boonta Eve Classic" race in Phantom Menace was taken from an episode of Droids. Pod racing as it appeared in the film was very much what was shown at the race in the cartoon. Also, in AOTC, Jango makes refrence to Bogden, a location also from the Droids series. Grievous's wheel bike in ROTS was very similar to the one Jan Tosh had in the cartoon, too.

So while it seems bizarre, the inclusion of Thall Joben really does shed some light on the possible truth of this story. I mean, it's so weird it has got to be true!

20. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it's all possible, but I'm surprised to see General Durron.

21. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

Aug 28, 2002
    Wow, I didnt realize the prequels had so many Droids references!

Also, is General Durron going to create problems for EU continuity?

22. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    With podracing coming into it and Bib Fortuna perhaps we might get a cameo from the vile gangster, Jabba the Hutt.

23. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    I could see Sebulba appearing as well. Especially as he is one of the few Prequel villains/adversaries that survived.

24. Renzo

Renzo Jedi Knight

Feb 11, 2005
    I kinda hope the podracing stuff is true. It was a rare bright spot in Ep I. As long as they show some other tracks other than Tatooine, I will be pleased.

25. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    I agree. I think the pod race was (and still is) thrilling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.