main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official LOST Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Armenian_Jedi, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    duende: I'd be open to suggestions but I am very hard to convince. Care to try? :)

2. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    You should watch The Prisoner. It's like Lost, except it doesn't make sense.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    No, thank you. I'm having enough moral issues and logic issues with Lost. I'm not looking for something worse.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Moral issues? It's fiction.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yep, lots of them. All the affairs, murder, needless violence and scientific experimentation to name a few. I don't care if it's fiction. At the least, they could *attempt* to raise moral questions to make the viewers think, and with most survivors they clearly aren't. Unfortunately, many find immorality 'entertaining'. I am not such a person. Hence, why I said, I'm very hard to convince.

And, yes, I deal with dark and questionable topics in my writing but it's to offer hope and to learn about myself, confront very *real* fears and hopefully inspire others. Most tv/films today just seem mindless and incredibly dull.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I think in Lost one of the main things they did was to put in characters who all have differing perspectives as well as often having dubious backgrounds. Then you have to kind of navigate the waters, figure out who you think is in the right or if any of them are. I don't think the moral questions raised by Lost are just for entertainment. It genuinely challenges you to think hard about what you think is the right choice or who the right person to believe is. That's a huge theme of all of season 3 with the Others, really. The show will continue to ask questions about who are the 'good guys'.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    So far, I'd say the Others by a mile but yes they clearly have issues too. The Others are clearly more thoughtful in manner and interesting cause they do seem to be the ones that offer intelligence and good moral questions. The survivors, not even a bit.

I may well drag myself through this muck but I'm pretty certain that my char prefs will remain as they are. I think I'll like Desmond most, find Ben interesting and challenging, empathize and likely feel bad for Charlie (I do like him, mostly) and pretty much ignore everyone else.

8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Everybody Loves Hugo. That is all.

9. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    hmm i think you should try watching dawson's crick!

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I was going to go with Little House on the Prairie.

11. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Sawyer just calls it "Little House."

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Dawson's Creek was lame. LHotP was pretty cool, though. :)

How are you, Yobi? It's been awhile. [:D]

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, at first my interest in the Others was pretty much simple curiosity. I also sympathized with the fact that it was, as they point out, their island. But in the long run, what really sustained my interest was the implications of what they were striving for. You'll see what I'm referring to as you keep watching. Along the way, though, they just have a wealth of characters I found really compelling.

As for Sawyer, it's pretty simple. As you no doubt realize if you are two full seasons in, a lot of the people on this show had some horrific things happen to them. They've had to overcome a lot of hardship, misfortune, and mistreatment. As sj suggested a lot of the show is then about those people trying to find their way forward, while we as the viewers try to figure out whether they are doing the right thing. That's an intriguing, sort of challenging concept. But I think Sawyer is an exception. Alone of all the survivors, he doesn't show much remorse. Alone of the survivors, he seems to want to use his bad experiences as an excuse for his current misbehavior. While everyone else is trying (if often failing) to move on, he's delighted to keep being the same bitter, misanthropic con man. He treats people in an incredibly cruel, callous fashion, and I feel like both the show and a lot of viewers give him an unjustified pass on that.

I don't. He's a terrible person who doesn't even try to rationalize his behavior. As a result, I don't find anything likeable about him.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Wocky: Very well put. Thanks for sharing. :)

I agree about Sawyer and nearly at the end of 3 seasons, I still feel similarly about Jack. He's wannabe Alpha Dog and demands to be obeyed when he's nothing but judgmental, hasty, cocky, and mean. He always thinks he's right too. A major turn off.

I will probably admire/respect the Others intentions as well as Desmond's but I will likely not agree with certain aspects of what unfolds but to err is human. I'm curious if Ben stays in the chair. I admire how the actor handles it so far. I kinda hope he does, not to be mean, but it'd be nice to see a char that isn't automatically healed from a life-changing even like all you have to do is *wish*. That representation really can *hurt* us whom really are trapped in the darned chairs. It's rather insulting too that like Lost implies with Locke's totally *uncalled for* callousness towards Ben that those challenged and needing of chairs and such aren't just as worthy of respect as our able-bodied kin. That's just plain wrong. :(

15. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Sawyer is pretty much my favorite character. Up there with Locke and Desmond for me.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm amid 3X18 and I'm curious how is Mikhail back? I'm pretty sure I saw him die a few eps back.[face_thinking] Wonder if it's linked to Dez saying that he changes his flashes. Could it be that each time he saves Charlie, he's changing the greater stream of history and each resultant branch is an alternate stream? How else can Mikhail be alive again?

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Okay, gang, I've tried hard but this show is just causing me all kinds of frustration. I'm quitting. Enjoy your chatter about the series you like. [face_peace]

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    If you don't mind, what finally made you give up, and what was your final impression of all the characters?

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Well, Wocky, first, I can't stand all the fornication and lack of loyalty between partners (this is all over 'entertainment; hence why I don't much care for an awful lot of it.) But, what made me say "No more" was when Locke led Sawyer to his father locked him in and thanked him for killing him. This show is just *brutal* and it celebrates it.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ****ing fornication.

21. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    good! now you can finally get started on gilmore girls!

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Been there, done that. Quit. Next. :p

23. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Maybe try the 700 Club.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Eh, what's that? Not heard of this? [face_thinking]

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    In all seriousness, I think you might actually enjoy the NBC drama Kings. It is an attempt at modern (well near-future/alternative universe) retelling of the story of kings David and Saul of Israel. They of course make a lot of deviations from the source material, but if nothing else it's fun just seeing where they decide to draw parallels and where the two part ways. Also, for whatever faults it has, it's definitely earnest in trying to tell the story, and one can also appreciate that they try to be respectful about the topic they're dealing with. To address what seems like it may have been a particular concern of yours, it's an added bonus that they made the show family friendly. While sometimes they do portray violence or hint at intimate sort of things, it's always much suggested than depicted (and really, it's not at all frequent compared to the any of the other shows we've mentioned--Lost included), and it's not really glorified or put in much of a positive light. You may not end up liking it, but I'd say at least give it a shot.