main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official LOST Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Armenian_Jedi, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    He is so special he can age past puberty in the equivalent of a month or two.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    WAAAAALLLLLT

Son of a Bith likes this.
  3. Gonzalo...

Gonzalo... Jedi Knight

Jun 19, 2013
    Merlin_Ambrosius69 I don't know how you watched the series... on Netflix, or what, but if you haven't seen any of the special features, you should watch the Mysteries of the Universe clip. Found it on youtube... good stuff.

4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Good ole juli and her wall of youtubes.

jp-30 and Armenian_Jedi like this.
  5. Gonzalo...

Gonzalo... Jedi Knight

Jun 19, 2013
  6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Gonzalo... , I watched the first two of those, got the gist and grew somewhat distracted. It's neat-o seeing a faux ABC-TV special from the 70s dealing with the Dharma Initiative, but is it really required viewing for Lost aficionados?

Also, if anyone has any definite ideas as to who ordered the Purge (IE the gassing of Dharma by Ben and the Others), and how they acquired the gas, guns and gas-masks to achieve this, I'm all ears... er, eyes. [face_batting]

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    1) Jacob (via Alpert)
    2) Ben

8. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I'm currently rewatching the first season with someone who is watching LOST for the first time. I have to bite my tongue to keep from spilling secrets.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    1) Okay, but Ben seemed rather put off by the event as he removed his gas mask. The sense I got (and it could be my imagination) is that he was not okay with this at all.
    2) Okay, but... how? I guess, on reflection, they had a sub and had possessed guns even when Widmore was a young man. So never mind this one, heh.

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I took it to mean that he was A) apprehensive about breathing without the mask...just in case the toxins were still in the air, and B) more than a little freaked out by the fact that he just participated in the mass murder of almost everyone he knows including his own father. Even though he was in on the plan, once the deed is done, it's still a bit freaky.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He was totally okay with it. He waited patiently for years to get rid of the DI... he hated them and hated living with them.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Genius. RT @Paulallenk: @DamonLindelof If you pretended to be Asian and worked at a massage parlor I would still complain about the ending.

13. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002

Nikki and Paulo were the "be careful what you ask for" characters. After the first couple of seasons, Darlton heard a lot from fans wanting to know more about the background characters on the show, not just the main cast. Who are the other people who were on the plane? Well, they introduce Nikki and Paulo and the problem with them was that they were retrofitted into past scenes and everyone hated that. Thus, we got Expose to right the wrong of Nikki and Paulo.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What is everyone's opinion of Eleanor Hawking? I was discussing the show with some old fans today, and it came to my attention that some people were critical of her. Is this a new thing? I always thought what she did was quite the heroic sacrifice. She acted in a consistently selfless way throughout the course of the series. What is there to object to?

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Likely because of "You have raised him like a pig for slaughter", but she didn't really have a choice in that. Also she perhaps took all the talk about destiny too far when she forbade him of playing piano or having fun. If his destiny was to get to the island in the 1970's and get shot that would have happened if he learnt to play piano or not.

16. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It's because everyone loves Desmond and she sent--raised him--to die, so thy vilify her; thy need to blame someone.

17. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    SHE KILLED HER CHILD AND THEN RAISED THAT CHILD TO GO BACK IN TIME SO SHE CAN KILL HIM

THERE IS NOTHING NOBLE OR LAUDABLE ABOUT KILLING YOUR OWN CHILD FOR VAGUE PLOT REASONS, YOU LUNATIC

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Spoken with the jealousy of a true coward. Just because you aren't noble enough to achieve such heroism doesn't mean you should condemn other people for doing so.

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The Purge

According to Lostpedia, Charles Widmore ordered The Purge. Did Charles and Richard disagree with this plan of action? Was Jacob consulted?

From what we can gather from the episode "The Man Behind the Curtain", it appears that Richard had no problem with it and worked with Ben in coordinating the attack as both Ben (and Ethan) survive The Purge.

Also, from what we do know in later seasons, Jacob brought people to the island to prove the MIB wrong. I don't think Jacob invited the Dharma Initiative. They used science to determine where the island was located and they tried to use the properties of the island for their own personal gain. So, based on all that evidence, I would assume that Jacob supported The Purge and wanted a clean slate as the group was living proof that the MIB was right. The MIB killed people that Jacob brought to the island, so maybe it was Jacob's turn to kill people that the MIB "brought" to the island.

20. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
  21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Been reading through that. I really like the character descriptions. Boone sounds a hell of a lot more interesting in that than he ultimately was on the show. Too bad.

22. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    So I watched LOST all the way through about a month ago, watching 3-4 episodes each night. I would've hated having to watch just one episode of this show a week, it's so serialised and just perfect for binge watching.

I feel that viewing them like this made the weaker episodes seem better too. I had few qualms about "Expose" or "Stranger in a Strange Land."

While I absolutely love the main character in Jack, my favourite actually turned out to be Ben. Every single piece of dialogue that comes from his mouth is laden with meaning, with purpose. You don't know whether to fear him, pity him, love him or hate him. That, and his theme is one of the strongest pieces of music composed on the show. I've listened to it... well, let's just say "lots."

Can't believe it took me this long to watch it. Never thought it would be more enjoyable than FRINGE.

23. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, definitely. I've noticed over the years that people who watched LOST this way like it way more than people like me who had to watch it week by week. Can you imagine watching Flashes Before Your Eyes one week and then that stupid episode about Jack's tattoos (was that the Stranger in a Strange Land one?) the next, after a week of waiting, meaning another week of waiting and hoping for a good episode?

edit: btw, I actually liked Expose, even after it first aired. Nikki and Paolo's deliciously horrifying ending was perfect for them.

24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Coruscant Yeah, definitely. The plotlines could sometimes take quite a while to return to the forefront. Season 2 ended with Penny finding the Island, yet that scene wasn't even acknowledged by the show until 17 episodes later. So even watching 3-4 episodes at a time, you would sometimes be waiting almost a week before some plotlines were continued.

Though I honestly find that a strength of the show. It didn't often forget the things it had done, and would treat you like an adult, assume you paid attention, and continue it later on. There are so many shows that are aggravatingly standalone that I loved how LOST handled things.

I found the ending of "Expose" really dark. I mean, they didn't just kill them off quickly, did they?

One thing I have to note is that I watched the show wearing surround sound headphones. Blowing people up with TNT while wearing those is not cool. Made me jump right out of my skin... twice!

25. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Didn't Penny find the island at the end of season 3, not 2? Speaking of, the finale of the third season was perhaps the show's absolute best. People also really bad-mouth the third season as a whole, but it was my favorite season, for all the mingling with the Others, but the survivors were still on their beach, just surviving and getting up to shenanigans. It's just Nikki and Paolo and stinkers like Stranger that give the season a really bad name.

edit: lol, I really wish they'd explored that 48-hour-eclipse-then-mysterious-coccoons idea from the writers' guide.

Finished the guide. Is it just me or was that mostly BS written to make execs happy? Don't get me wrong- I'm glad they BS-ed, it got the show made.